Groups

memory upgrade or save up for a new pc?!

my old pc has been struggling with facebook and chat at moment but memory for it isnt that cheap when compared to others - do you think i should spend out for memory or just save the cash and save up for a new desktop or older laptop?

memory needed is DIMM 184-PIN DDR 400MHz / PC3200 CL3 Non-ECC - was going to put 2 x 1 GB in...crucials scanner says it can handle 4Gb but as its running XP home no point putting that much in!

Also, confused by this in system info...

Total Physical memory : 1,023.48 MB
    Available physical memory : 117.84 MB
    Total Virtual memory : 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual memory : 1.96 GB
    Page file space : 1.71 GB

having a blonde moment but am guessing I have 1gb of ram and 2 GB of disk space for virtual memory? is that right? Also why would my available physical memory be so low? Does XP use that much? Only thing running is System info and firefox with facebook, crucial and froogle!

Am a single mum and as my daughters birthdays are November and later this month money is obviously very tight just now, as compared to tigh normally! - LOL!! So all thoughts appreciated as this pc is driving me mad just now but got it with no disks so cant do a fresh install t clean it out!

7 Comments

Hi you want to have loads of physical memory and little page memory as possible physical memory is waay faster than page file.
    I'll try not to drown you in tech details!! if you bought the computer from a shop and not made by someone then you'll probably have 32bit Windows XP. In that case only upto 4gb will be effective!
    If you just want casual stuff like Facebook and YouTube then get 2gb worth of "DDR2" ram if possible get "DDR3" but this might be quite a bit more. If you want to game aswel but mums don't really do that ;D then you should get 4gb of DDR2 or DDR3 but overall I think you should go for around 2gb of DDR2 (cheap) or DDR3 (better)

EDIT: Physical memory is like the memory you can see and the page file is like fake memory stored on your hard drive.. The page file is bad because it's slower for the computer to work with than physical memory.

1Gb is easy enough with XP
    Do you have antivirus software etc, as that can clog it up and slow it down
    Bring up task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and see how many processes are running.

I have 1Gb of PC3200 since my other 1Gb stick died and it runs about 30 up to 35 processes max.

I'd suggest removing any programs you dont use and do a format.

Dont buy DDR2 as it wont work in your PC, its a different type and requires a different type of slot.
    Requires a new motherboard basically, which would also likely require new processor, ie a new PC.

Original Poster

Dont worry am not that daft about memory - i know it depends on motherboard etc!

No my PC runs really slow at times - could be FB thats main problem - maybe too many friends for Castle Age! Its mainly on there I notice it as can take 5 minutes for me to be able to reply to chat msgs which is anoying as am admin on some groups! Just checked and have 60 processes - always seem to get heaps of svchost ones - does it open one for each tab in firefox as thought it would have one for each app? Have heaps for avast wich is what i am using at moment - the free version and yes could do with a re-format but will have to download a copy of xp as dont have any disks - machine was second hand and never got any with it!!

I should have a license key on a desktop or laptop I have kicking about as was supposed to be playing with them when I got free time from kids but with marriage breakup frying my brain and two little ones running me ragged I just havent got round to it - My kids 'dropped' my laptop a few months ago and havent even got round to trying it again to see if its still knackered, its about 6-7 years old though! Page file usage is showing at 951 MB at moment, and system idle process is busiest thing, but do have probs with other stuff...and dont do gaming though do sometimes load games for kids to play or play some of the Pop cap ones...

If anyoe can recommend any software good for unning a pc check with or somewhere I can check some reports I run off would be good as I know I need to tidy pc up, just not sure where to start nowadays!

was going to do a snapshot but snapshot viewer must have been on old pc - need to grab a few hours sleep so will be back online tomorrow night as will be out with kids today! had split sleep last night due to some events on Castle Age in a different time zone!

Thanks so far for advice - any things you think I should do then let me know as i said really rusty on this stuff and my brain isnt what it was before kids and\or my marriage probs!

Banned

1gb is more than enough. Just reinstall windows and it will be like a new pc.

Nattynooster;7480049

Hi you want to have loads of physical memory and little page memory as … Hi you want to have loads of physical memory and little page memory as possible physical memory is waay faster than page file.I'll try not to drown you in tech details!! if you bought the computer from a shop and not made by someone then you'll probably have 32bit Windows XP. In that case only upto 4gb will be effective!If you just want casual stuff like Facebook and YouTube then get 2gb worth of "DDR2" ram if possible get "DDR3" but this might be quite a bit more. If you want to game aswel but mums don't really do that ;D then you should get 4gb of DDR2 or DDR3 but overall I think you should go for around 2gb of DDR2 (cheap) or DDR3 (better)EDIT: Physical memory is like the memory you can see and the page file is like fake memory stored on your hard drive.. The page file is bad because it's slower for the computer to work with than physical memory.

DDR2 or 3 is very unlikely to be supported by her motherboard...!!!

csiman;7480174

1gb is more than enough. Just reinstall windows and it will be like a new … 1gb is more than enough. Just reinstall windows and it will be like a new pc.

+1

Solves most problems, I always found after a certain amonut of time, XP always became laggy and buggy, I was always reformating back in the day.

Vista solved that problem, Yes I know Vista has a rep of being a poor OS but it worked for me and never got laggy like XP did.

Now I'm running Windows 7, It's like Vista but everybody seems to like it.

Personally if I was the op I'd probably invest in a new machine sometime soon, A machine running PC3200 must be a few years old now.

60 Processes running on a desktop XP is far too much imo.

If AVAST uses a lot, then i'd get something a little less heavy.
    I cant really recommend as i dont bother using anything, i'm very careful and a bit of a geek, and dont use Anti-Virus, and still 10 years without anything nasty.

Uninstall anything you dont use, and which has processes running, try and cut that 60 down.
    Also defragment the C drive (do this after uninstalling anything else)
    See how that goes

It’s not exactly unusual to require more than 1GB of RAM with XP if you are multi-tasking.
    To determine if your PC is using an excess of RAM check how much memory it’s using after you first turn it on and before you load any applications.
    Right click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager.
    Click on the Performance TAB and in the bottom left corner below the graphs there’s a section headed Commit Charge, the Total figure is what’s of interest so let us know what that is.
    Having 60 processes isn’t that unusual and doesn’t have to be a problem. Click on the Processes TAB in Task Manager and click on the Mem Usage column to see if any non essential processes are consuming a disproportionate amount of RAM. Post a screenshot if you aren’t sure.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944532
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1947
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767359
      4. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller22

See more discussions