Groups
    EXPIRED

Mental Health Benefits?

My dad who was the main income earner in the family has recently been admitted to hospital for mental health issues and we are struggling financially. Which benefits are we entitled to claim?

Thanks in advance

17 Comments

Banned

I think you would be better off going to your local job centre and ask them.

You could be entitled to income support, disability living allowance, sick pay etc it all depends on your circumstances

Ring your local citizens advice bureau they will advise you

Or a citizens advice Bureau...

read your last 2 threads. Sorry to hear what you and your family are going through.
    Hopefully your dad will get the treatment and be back to himself. Good luck.

Arrange a meeting at the citizens advice and see what options are available to you and
    your family.

ifrazalam

I think you would be better off going to your local job centre and ask … I think you would be better off going to your local job centre and ask them.

I fail to see how a job centre is going to help! oO

OP, check here:-

entitledto.co.uk/

chocci

I fail to see how a job centre is going to help! oOOP, check … I fail to see how a job centre is going to help! oOOP, check here:-http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Because a job center is not just a job center anymore.

I think citizens CAB would be able to help. DLA now called PIP takes quite a long time to apply for and i think the illness needs to have been ongoing for more than 6 months. If your father has a mental health team or care worker they will also be able to offer advise. Hope he improves quickly.

I believe ESA - Employment Support Allowance might be helpful.
    Good luck

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses, much appreciated.

enimod is right about DLA/PIP. But has everyone have said ask your local CAB or local advice centre

Glad you've managed to get your dad some help and hope he gets better soon

Can I suggest you also contact adult social services? They should be able to help you with benefit claims and other support you'll need. You may need an advocate or power of attorney to sort out any claims, etc. They can help.

chocci

I fail to see how a job centre is going to help! oOOP, check … I fail to see how a job centre is going to help! oOOP, check here:-http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Job centres are the benefits hubs now. They are who you talk to in person and conduct the interviews etc

speedy2014

You could be entitled to income support, disability living allowance, … You could be entitled to income support, disability living allowance, sick pay etc it all depends on your circumstances Ring your local citizens advice bureau they will advise you

There is no such thing as income support any more. and you can't get ESA (replaced income support) and sick pay at the same time.

truckerrobyn

Job centres are the benefits hubs now. They are who you talk to in person … Job centres are the benefits hubs now. They are who you talk to in person and conduct the interviews etc

This. They are called Job Centre PLUS for a reason. They will let you know of any benefits you can apply for and actually stand a chance of getting. Good luck with a claim for ESA on mental health grounds, as a few years ago they really buckled down on it and are pretty harsh on awarding benefits for these illnesses now.

Edited by: "therealslimkaty" 9th Dec 2014

I got help through the NHS, my therapist got me in touch with an NHS Employment Adviser, don't know if there is a similar set up in your area?

Also, my thoughts are with you. It's a terrible thing to happen to a person and their family. It probably doesn't seem like it at the moment, but it will get better

I agree, my grandad suffers terribly but it only started about 4 years ago. Once they are able to diagnose the condition and find suitable treatment, touch wood, he will recover quickly but it's terrible to watch a loved ones mental health deteriorate. Good luck to you all x x

Dont mean to sound harsh but with him being the main bread winner why not get someone else out to work and worry about the benefits afterwards. I actually thought the job centre answer was the best giving that it would help you perhaps find a job, another job, a better job that would mean you can provide better financially.

Its a shame what your family are going through but why turn straight to the benefit system?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Oculus Desktop - new or used11
      2. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay810
      3. Best 40 inch TV for £30033
      4. 10% Argos code with glitch40

See more discussions