Mental Health Week 2009 12-18 April. Information for people.

I had an email from the Mental Health Foundation and it's sending out packs to people to raise awareness about the impact that fear and anxiety has on our everyday lives. I suffer from anxiety attacks and depression and cannot work and rarely leave the house due to my illness. It also affects me in other ways regarding my health and I often feel sick and lethargic from panicking all the time.

This is a part from the email-
"Fear and anxiety are part of the mind and body's natural response to threats or thoughts that something bad might happen. Usually they last for a short time and then pass. But sometimes they last longer and you can get stuck with them. They can take over your life, affecting your ability to eat, sleep, concentrate, travel, enjoy life, and even leave the house or go to work or school.

It can be hard to break the cycle, but there are lots of ways to do it. We want to tell as many people as possible that help is available and that you don't need to suffer in silence.

Mental Health Action Week is the Mental Health Foundation's annual awareness-raising week, which has been running since the 1950s. We use the week to raise awareness of important mental health issues. Find out more about previous campaigns.

The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities is part of the Mental Health Foundation. We are committed to addressing the mental health needs of people with learning disabilities as part of our work."

I just thought I'd post it on here so others are aware of it and can get an information pack if they're suffering from the same anxiety's. I don't want any negative comments on here as if you haven't suffered from it then you don't know how it affects you. (I've had many horrible comments from family members saying I'm just lazy and don't want to work, although my ambition is to one day be a criminal psychologist- a dream I've had since I was 14 and one day will achieve once I've gotten over my anxiety!!!)

So yeah, I'll post the link in the next comment thingy so you can have a look at it xxx

18 Comments

well done for posting the information not everybody thinks the same about the unemployed .as i think it is wrong to tar everybody with the same brush.the world isnt just black and white we also have shades of grey.so be positive .

Original Poster

linw;4673756

well done for posting the information not everybody thinks the same about … well done for posting the information not everybody thinks the same about the unemployed .as i think it is wrong to tar everybody with the same brush.the world isnt just black and white we also have shades of grey.so be positive .

Thank you! Sorry I'm withdrawing from my anti-depressants (been on them for 5 years) as I'm pregnant and the psychiatrist has left me to go cold turkey and claims they don't have the medicine form to help me withdraw which I've found out they do (good old google!) so my mood's very low as I feel ill- been crying at everything lol

linw;4673756

well done for posting the information not everybody thinks the same about … well done for posting the information not everybody thinks the same about the unemployed .as i think it is wrong to tar everybody with the same brush.the world isnt just black and white we also have shades of grey.so be positive .

+ 1

midjet666;4673773

Thank you! Sorry I'm withdrawing from my anti-depressants (been on them … Thank you! Sorry I'm withdrawing from my anti-depressants (been on them for 5 years) as I'm pregnant and the psychiatrist has left me to go cold turkey and claims they don't have the medicine form to help me withdraw which I've found out they do (good old google!) so my mood's very low as I feel ill- been crying at everything lol

aww hope things start looking good for you soon maybe when little one arrives it will give you new meaning and you maybe able to face life again .my sister was similar to you her depression was brought on about her weight and a broken relationship .she is now working for the local council in helping old people and people with mental health problems.she loves having her life back.so good luck with the with drawl symptoms they will pass my sis took a couple of weeks.but if you know they can help you then go back and request the help .

midjet666;4673773

Thank you! Sorry I'm withdrawing from my anti-depressants (been on them … Thank you! Sorry I'm withdrawing from my anti-depressants (been on them for 5 years) as I'm pregnant and the psychiatrist has left me to go cold turkey and claims they don't have the medicine form to help me withdraw which I've found out they do (good old google!) so my mood's very low as I feel ill- been crying at everything lol

Hi hunny
I totally understand where you come from. If you need a chat from someone who was also housebound with it, im here. i have to say you CAN get better. I did and went on to join the police force, im now in politics ( very stressfull) and lead a near normal life now.
Where as i used to suffer with, GAD, Agoraphobia, OCD, Severe panic disorder, depression. I would not even open my front door in fear of the world. Could not sleep because i had constant shakes, wouldnt eat because i thought food would kill me!!
IM living proof you can get better.
It will never go, as during stressfull times i get set backs, i still have attacks however they do not beat me.

Drop me a PM hun, there is so much i can tell u and help you with info.

xxx

Original Poster

linw;4673859

aww hope things start looking good for you soon maybe when little one … aww hope things start looking good for you soon maybe when little one arrives it will give you new meaning and you maybe able to face life again .my sister was similar to you her depression was brought on about her weight and a broken relationship .she is now working for the local council in helping old people and people with mental health problems.she loves having her life back.so good luck with the with drawl symptoms they will pass my sis took a couple of weeks.but if you know they can help you then go back and request the help .

Thank you! I've already got a 3 year old who really brightens me up, my depression was bought on by my parents divorcing and having cancer when I was 14. The anti-depressants have made me gain more than 10 stone, I can see why they give them to anorexics!! My anxiety is the thing that's really holding me back, I sit throughout the night having panic attack after panic attack and it's exhausting. I've tried to find the triggers of them but so far I'm unsuccessful!

Thanks loads for this midjet, i suffer from depression and panic/anxiety attacks, will have a look at the link.

Original Poster

pcnutta;4673863

Hi hunnyI totally understand where you come from. If you need a chat from … Hi hunnyI totally understand where you come from. If you need a chat from someone who was also housebound with it, im here. i have to say you CAN get better. I did and went on to join the police force, im now in politics ( very stressfull) and lead a near normal life now.Where as i used to suffer with, GAD, Agoraphobia, OCD, Severe panic disorder, depression. I would not even open my front door in fear of the world. Could not sleep because i had constant shakes, wouldnt eat because i thought food would kill me!!IM living proof you can get better.It will never go, as during stressfull times i get set backs, i still have attacks however they do not beat me.Drop me a PM hun, there is so much i can tell u and help you with info.xxx

I've PM'ed you and thank you. Well done on coming through the other side, they should advertise people like you so that sufferers at their lowest point can see they can beat it if they persevere (I can't spell lol). It's so difficult to hear from those, who haven't suffered from the same thing, that you can beat it because you think "how would you know?!" whereas if you see living proof it's kind of seeing and believing!

Original Poster

amcol;4674027

Thanks loads for this midjet, i suffer from depression and panic/anxiety … Thanks loads for this midjet, i suffer from depression and panic/anxiety attacks, will have a look at the link.

I wonder just how many users on here suffer from it? It's such a common thing but nothing's really done to help it!

midjet666;4674063

I wonder just how many users on here suffer from it? It's such a common … I wonder just how many users on here suffer from it? It's such a common thing but nothing's really done to help it!

I do, doctors reckon its a mixture of depression and stress as well as post natal depression even though the little one is three and a half now, currently on a change of meds but the side effects doesnt seem to help.xxx

I have depression and OCD and i was agrophobic, i still get back days where i dont leave the house but once a week but i try to make a point of me being the one to take the dog out with me every day so i get out the house even if its just for 30 mins a day, it doesnt always work but it has helped.
I wont answer the door ever unless its delivery from postman or courier, i like my curtains shut all the time as well as i feel safe in my own little "world", its hard going and i cry lots etc.
I have been on meds for nearly 7yrs now, i come off them when i had my 4yr old son but after birth i was nearly booked into a mother and baby unit, so when i fell pregnant with my 3yr old they told me to keep on them as my mental health would so far deteriote they said they new i would contemplate suicide without them, even if i got through pregnancy ok it was straight after the birth they was worried about.

I hope one day to be off my meds and be as normal as normal can be but at the moment i dont see light at the end of the tunnel in regards to coming off them,

Original Poster

amcol;4674100

I have depression and OCD and i was agrophobic, i still get back days … I have depression and OCD and i was agrophobic, i still get back days where i dont leave the house but once a week but i try to make a point of me being the one to take the dog out with me every day so i get out the house even if its just for 30 mins a day, it doesnt always work but it has helped. I wont answer the door ever unless its delivery from postman or courier, i like my curtains shut all the time as well as i feel safe in my own little "world", its hard going and i cry lots etc. I have been on meds for nearly 7yrs now, i come off them when i had my 4yr old son but after birth i was nearly booked into a mother and baby unit, so when i fell pregnant with my 3yr old they told me to keep on them as my mental health would so far deteriote they said they new i would contemplate suicide without them, even if i got through pregnancy ok it was straight after the birth they was worried about.I hope one day to be off my meds and be as normal as normal can be but at the moment i dont see light at the end of the tunnel in regards to coming off them,

I'm sorry to hear you've been on them for so long. Do you see a psychologist or CPN (community summat nurse, dunno what the P stands for pmsl) My mom's been on tablets for 16 years for depression and she get suicidal thoughts, in all honesty it tends to become an everyday feeling doesn't it?

I think it would help for you to see someone about your depression and if you don't "click" with the person just ask to see others until you do click with someone. I see a lady called Sam and she is brilliant. She's helping me cope with my anxiety at the moment and she's given me a relaxation CD. I think lack of exercise is another reason for my depression, as the endorphines aren't being released. It's good that you take the dog out for a walk as that's helping to release the endorphines and helping with anxiety at the same time.

Just remember it'll take time but you can do it. Like the lady above has posted, she's worked in the police force and politics after suffering from depression etc so it can be achieved. I think positive thinking helps a lot too, I try to get up and think that it's going to be a good day and I won't feel ill etc. Also I never plan things like "I'll do the ironing" or something because if I don't do it then I feel down and get angry with myself, so if you do it on the spur of the moment then you can praise yourself and feel good about yourself!!

Original Poster

Leer;4674092

I do, doctors reckon its a mixture of depression and stress as well as … I do, doctors reckon its a mixture of depression and stress as well as post natal depression even though the little one is three and a half now, currently on a change of meds but the side effects doesnt seem to help.xxx

What medications are you on? A lot of anti-depressants have a short "Half Life" which is the amount of time they stay in your system. So some medication has a half life of about 5 hours, which means your body starts to crave them after you've took 5 hours before. My tablet's half life used to be shorter than that of Cocaine/Heroin etc, so when they come off them and use methadone to come off them, it makes me angry as when you come off the anti-depressants the psychiatrists leave you to come off them cold turkey. I have my son who's 3 and I'm struggling to withdraw as the head shakes are really bad. I can't even nod as it sends my head spinning!! Another thing which made me angry today is I've found out they do an oral solution/medicine of my tablet which would help withdrawal to be so much easier but my psychiatrist claimed they didn't do one!! Shows how well he knows how to do his job....

im on cipralex at the mo, its the fourth one i tried as every one has given me really bad side effects, been on these for over a week now and they are making me sweat a lot, feeling constantly dizzy, sicl, not sleeping but the pscytrist is telling me to stick with it for a bit longer as it should wear off.

Original Poster

Leer;4674583

im on cipralex at the mo, its the fourth one i tried as every one has … im on cipralex at the mo, its the fourth one i tried as every one has given me really bad side effects, been on these for over a week now and they are making me sweat a lot, feeling constantly dizzy, sicl, not sleeping but the pscytrist is telling me to stick with it for a bit longer as it should wear off.

to be honest cipralex didn't give me many side effects but it's just whichever ones suit you, I tried prozac and suffered really bad palpitations and sweating and dizziness so came off it straight away. I'm not be horrible but imo psychiatrists generally don't know what they're on about regards to the tablets as they haven't taken them themselves. My mom sees one who's in his 50's and is terrible but saw a different one as a cover and he'd literally just finished medical school and was brilliant- he was friendly and really listened and actually wanted to help.

I'm thinking of changing my psychiatrist as they seem to just prescribe any old thing and not care about those taking it- or they don't read the side effects. I was convinced they got back handers from the drugs companies to give out more of a certain drug as I was put on venlafaxine and apparently it's one of the hardest ones to come off- I was losing my hair as a side effect- and I had to demand to be changed tablets.

Just remember, because they have the certificates to give out drugs, doesn't mean they know how you personally feel. If you aren't comfortable on the tablet, then you have to demand to change it. They cannot force you to take a medication that isn't helping you and only making you more ill- they've got many alternatives so you must ask to try another one. If I was you, I'd phone up and make an emergency appointment and say that if he doesn't change the tablets then you'll change psychiatrists to someone who will listen!!

Fondest love and warm wishes to all those living with any form of mental illness xxx

A subject that not so long ago was swept under the carpet and ignored,thankfully we now live in times where people can talk about these issues without fear and ridicule.

As someone who lived their teenage years with a sibling who is paranoid schitzophrenic,this is a subject very close to my heart.

For those with depression/anxiety issues there is a light at the end of the tunnel,how long it will take to reach it though can vary greatly,but with support,understanding and small steps I am sure you will get there in the end.:)

Banned

I have suffered with it badly for a long while and have spoken to several of you personally about my battle.

Big hugs to everyone x x
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Stop everything, Nutella is bringing a biscuit snack to the market - Metro1312
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763948
    3. What an absolute disgrace2150
    4. GOT Leaks again416

See more discussions