Mercedes Benz A class hatchback help - car advice etc

Hi I am saving up for the Hatchback A CLASS A160 but I am still deciding what model to get but I have no clue what other models are there. May someone list the 5 or 10 most recent A class hatchbacks in release order? Is the A160 new model or quite old? Also what does SE, Sport and 5DR etc mean? There are so many Jargon words I don't know and if I miss anything please tell me I really appreciate it

19 Comments

5DR? Really? Take a guess...

Earn more money and get a c class at least

Have a look on sites like Parkers Guide, you'll be able to get a good amount on information from there... parkers.co.uk/mer…cs/

Hatchback A CLASS A160 but I am still deciding what model

The A160 is a model number which has been used for 20 years by mercedes and it could relate to each of the three generations of the car. If you are talking about the latest car 2012-present then the A160 is either a diesel or petrol with a very low power Renault or Nissan engine in it. Maybe some more info would be helpful.

Car salesmen must be salivating at the thought of getting you in their showroom.

Go to the corner shop and buy a Parkers Guide, it has all the acronyms listed.

Then read up on the model on their web site and Honest Johns.

Then check out prices on the AutoTrader website before even THINKING about walking into a salesroom.

Yes i would avoid the a class as some modeks use renault engines. Why pay for a merc to get a renault

best avoid a class mercedes theyre the cheapest way to own a merc badge and theres no leg room for adults ie knees pushed hard into the dashboard

Mercedes are the kings of depreciation I would avoid, especially A Class's.

If you have your heart set on a Merc then do yourself a favour.....make sure you have the best mechanic/garage available to look after it you know you can trust. Speak to them prior to any purchase and get their opinions of which models to avoid/buy and why...many models that look the same on the surface use very different components under the skin and each have their own issues and expenses. I know the father and son at this business mbautomotive.co.uk and would strongly recommend you have a quick chat with them or someone of equal standing in your area.

darkstryder360

Mercedes are the kings of depreciation I would avoid, especially A … Mercedes are the kings of depreciation I would avoid, especially A Class's.

Non on this list autoexpress.co.uk/bes…its

like most have said on here I wouldn't go for a a class mercedes if u don't know much about cars. it's probably one of the most expensive cars to maintain for what it is if anything goes wrong but that's really a question of when and not if. most simple work on other cars involves expensive labour intensive engine removal 9n these so a clutch change will be 700/800 pounds on top of oher car prices etc.

muddassarsardar

like most have said on here I wouldn't go for a a class mercedes if u … like most have said on here I wouldn't go for a a class mercedes if u don't know much about cars. it's probably one of the most expensive cars to maintain for what it is if anything goes wrong but that's really a question of when and not if. most simple work on other cars involves expensive labour intensive engine removal 9n these so a clutch change will be 700/800 pounds on top of oher car prices etc.

I can vouch for the expense; my parents spent more on one replacement head light on their E class than I have spent in MOTs, servicing and repairs (none!!), on my Mitsubishi in 9 years.

Oh, and 3 months later, the other one failed.

I have a Gla200 sport got it from new will never get a Mercedes again they are dreadful at dealing with problems and left us on a busy road in middle of a roundabout for over 4 hrs with kids that have problems

Never ceases to amaze me that some folk ask advice on hear and then don't come back and reply or say thanks.

marty-401

Non on this list … Non on this list http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/94305/fastest-depreciating-cars-top-10-worst-motoring-money-pits

3 year, 35,000 miles.

I mean, over more. Look at a Mk1 SLK compared to current gen prices. Can pick up a CLS for £5,000. £60,000 new back in the day?

Cute article though.

cutepuppies

Hi I am saving up for the Hatchback A CLASS A160 but I am still deciding … Hi I am saving up for the Hatchback A CLASS A160 but I am still deciding what model to get but I have no clue what other models are there. May someone list the 5 or 10 most recent A class hatchbacks in release order? Is the A160 new model or quite old? Also what does SE, Sport and 5DR etc mean? There are so many Jargon words I don't know and if I miss anything please tell me I really appreciate it

A-Class is the car, but it's been used for three successive models, the most recent quite different from the previous two.

160 is the engine size. It doesn't refer to anything in particular and the engine it refers to differs between models. It can even refer to multiple engines, the A160 CDI is a different engine than the plain A160 and it's not uncommon for them to change half way through a car's life. Which engine you choose will depend on which A-class model you go for, how much power you want and whether fuel efficiency is important.

3DR and 5DR denote whether it has two doors or four doors. Car people treat the boot opening as a door if it includes the rear window, hence 3 or 5.

SE, Sport and so are on trim levels. They determine whether the car is fitted with stuff like Satnav, cruise control and so on and sometimes influence things like seats and how soft the ride is. They're highly model and age specific so you really need to read up on them after you decide what model and age of A-class you're looking at. Also, bear in mind that they only determine the minimum equipment on that trim level. It's quite possible for the initial buyer of the car to have have stuff fitted that only comes as standard on higher trims.

There are various other often manufacturer specific terms like 4Matic (4 wheel drive, although why you'd want it on an A-Class I'm not sure), but you'd have to look them up or ask as you go along as it's hard to cover them exhaustively.

Have a look online for some brochures and read up on them.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Problem with new double glazed installation66
    2. whats a worthy sony x3 compact replacement?49
    3. Buyers Surveyor undervalued our house44
    4. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?45

See more discussions