Mercedes Benz GLA class AMG line or Vauxhall Grandland X

Posted 30th Sep
which is bigger and which would you choose?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
If you want to impressive the Ladies, go with the Vauxhall.
Imagine getting out your fob and slapping it down on the bar, knowing it's backed up by their world motorsport heritage.
Vauxhall is a Peugeot underneath.
The Vauxhall is fugly IMO and it’s got a dumb name. May as well called it the grandad x. If your looking for a new car and can wait the new puma is out soon, and it’s a sexy beast
discozohan30/09/2019 15:55

and it’s got a dumb name.

Standard practive for Vauxhall.

WTF made then think Mokka would be a good name for a car, Adam is almost as bad and then they top it off by resurrecting the Viva name, the original Viva was one of the blandest most boring cars of the 70s.
The Grandland X is marginally the more characterful looking of the two, and has less aluminium-look plastic in the interior. I haven't had a ride in one though, so I don't know if the refinement has been brought up to PSA standards or if still feels like a Zafira.

They're much the same size, both around 4.4m long.

Neither would be my choice personally. I'd probably go for Fiat's best car since the 500, the Jeep Renegade, or a Renault Grand Scenic if that's too small.
discozohan30/09/2019 15:55

The Vauxhall is fugly IMO and it’s got a dumb name. May as well called it t …The Vauxhall is fugly IMO and it’s got a dumb name. May as well called it the grandad x. If your looking for a new car and can wait the new puma is out soon, and it’s a sexy beast

EndlessWaves30/09/2019 16:43

The Grandland X is marginally the more characterful looking of the two, …The Grandland X is marginally the more characterful looking of the two, and has less aluminium-look plastic in the interior. I haven't had a ride in one though, so I don't know if the refinement has been brought up to PSA standards or if still feels like a Zafira. They're much the same size, both around 4.4m long.Neither would be my choice personally. I'd probably go for Fiat's best car since the 500, the Jeep Renegade, or a Renault Grand Scenic if that's too small.

Need something as big as the Grandland X to be honest as rhodesian Ridgeback needs to go in back boot and two kids in with me and the Mrs.

Jeep renegade could be worth checking out actually
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 30th Sep
Ever considered a VW Tiguan?
Edited by: "bruce287" 30th Sep
wow, expectations & perceptions of what you need have really changed.
We used to get 2 boxer dogs in the back of an old A class merc hatc from 2003, or 3+ if we took out a singular seat in the rear, plus room for kids x2 & adults x2, that is technically a smaller car.
All our boxers are / were chunky monkey's genetically

Merc got our snowboards, ski's & all the schmutter we used to go on holiday with in it no problem.Or are these the new type of mid height, pretender 4x4 bloated on the outside, oversize panels & still small on the inside?, i've not seen either of these 2 vehicles at the car auctions to date, I do see a lot of trashed cars like that though.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 30th Sep
bruce28730/09/2019 17:30

Ever considered a VW Tiguan?

I like them but my wife said no
efc_4ever30/09/2019 17:21

Need something as big as the Grandland X to be honest as rhodesian …Need something as big as the Grandland X to be honest as rhodesian Ridgeback needs to go in back boot and two kids in with me and the Mrs.Jeep renegade could be worth checking out actually

The renegade may smaller than you want then. It's size of the Crossland X so a size down from the ones you're considering.

The Grand Scenic is bigger than a Grandland X/GLA so that'll have ample space.

If you want practicality you can't beat the likes of the Ford Tourneo Connect or the Peugeot Rifter (& rebadges) Same 4.4m length but oh so much more space inside.

Mr_Gus30/09/2019 17:32

wow, expectations & perceptions of what you need have really changed.We …wow, expectations & perceptions of what you need have really changed.We used to get 2 boxer dogs in the back of an old A class merc hatc from 2003, or 3+ if we took out a singular seat in the rear, plus room for kids x2 & adults x2, that is technically a smaller car.All our boxers are / were chunky monkey's geneticallyMerc got our snowboards, ski's & all the schmutter we used to go on holiday with in it no problem.Or are these the new type of mid height, pretender 4x4 bloated on the outside, oversize panels & still small on the inside?, i've not seen either of these 2 vehicles at the car auctions to date, I do see a lot of trashed cars like that though.

Partly it's that they are more styling than practicality focused. If you look at the more practical end of the market for cars of that length like the Tourneo Connect and Rifter you'll find they do have much more interior space.

But I think some of it is the extra depth of structure required to make a car to modern safety standards. Mercedes' current equivalent to the first generation A-class is the Smart ForFour and while it'll still fit a family and a couple of dogs it's probably not got quite as much room as your A-class had (although to be fair it's also a touch narrower, shorter and lower).
My gen A class was being looked at for early electric shame it never got there, it would have been superb, they were like a tardis inside, the generation that had the rear seats removable really made it a load lugger too, ..precisely why we still have it!
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 30th Sep
the smart 4/4 is dinky, not good, bad smart / renault ..it sucks.
If it's just boot space, what about a SKODA superb estate. It's massive, or do you need more height than it would offer? If so, then ignore me!
Cakeboy7930/09/2019 20:29

If it's just boot space, what about a SKODA superb estate. It's massive, …If it's just boot space, what about a SKODA superb estate. It's massive, or do you need more height than it would offer? If so, then ignore me!

No that's a good option. I'll check their website thanks
Kind of leaning towards the Audi Q2
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants