Mercedes-Benz recalls 400,000 cars in UK over airbag fault

Found 17th Oct 2017
Only a few then!

A Mercedes-Benz spokeswomen said: “If the steering column module clock spring is broken, the driver airbag warning light will be displayed in the instrument cluster, as well as a red airbag warning lamp.

“In rare circumstances, if the clock spring is broken and the wiring components are not sufficiently earthed, this could lead to an electrostatic discharge which could inadvertently deploy the driver’s airbag.”

Customers who own an affected car will be contacted by the manufacturer and offered a one-hour fix which will be free of charge.

Mercedes said the cars are safe to drive under normal conditions. But owners are warned that if a red airbag warning light appears on the dashboard they should immediately call Mercedes’ roadside assistance

If you don't want to wait for a letter or moved address, you may want to call 020 7660 9993 - Customer Service

The models affected include the A, B, C, and E-Class, and CLA, GLA, and GLC, built between November 2011 and July 2017

Source
Community Updates
Misc
12 Comments
" Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz "
32264275-bWetM.jpg
When are Mercedes-Benz going to recall all Mercedes-Benz owner/drivers for re-training/fixing the issue with indicators and tailgaiting.

Years ago BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi were only owned by the well off (or taxi drivers in Germany for Mercedes-Benz) and respected / yearned for

But now it seems mostly owned/driven by undesirables and inconsiderate's and myself I've been put off ever buying one because of the label now attached.
Edited by: "philphil61" 17th Oct 2017
Hmm German efficiency and reliability- what a con
No use. Have to wait for letter. Already planning one recall visit. Wont allow on weekend either. Pain in the arse.
philphil6123 m ago

..... myself I've been put off ever buying one because of the label now …..... myself I've been put off ever buying one because of the label now attached.

Yeah - must have been a tough call between a premium brand car and the Honda scooter. Stick to your principles, phil'.
Nothing changed here then. I had the first ever Mercedes released in the UK at the same time as Germany. Within 3 days someone had thrown a brick off a bridge onto windscreen. I took the car into Mercedes and they had no spare screen replacement in the UK. They also told me there was a problem with the steering wheel airbag system. After 2 weeks they told me to collect the car. They had replaced the windscreen, put a wrong coloured steering wheel on (again waiting for spares from Germany) and managed to put a dent down the side which was not there when given to them. There was a 12 month waiting list for the car and after 3 months of being messed around the company I was working for rejected the car and we were told we needed to wait the 12 months for a replacement. I got a lesser powered courtesy car from MB that never cost me a penny as a company car. After I got my specced car about 9 months later MB took over a year to collect the courtesy car which became the 'pull car' for the office. An absolute clueless and shambolic event.
I'm pleased I bought the Alfa Romeo
My friend has a 66 reg c220 is that affected
puddles99996 m ago

My friend has a 66 reg c220 is that affected

The models affected include the A, B, C, and E-Class, and CLA, GLA, and GLC, built between November 2011 and July 2017
I got a brand new gla class last June and since then have had it back 8 times for various problems and funnily enough is at the dealership as we speak for a safety recall and other faults... Think it's time to get rid
rebeccakolka1 h, 26 m ago

I got a brand new gla class last June and since then have had it back 8 …I got a brand new gla class last June and since then have had it back 8 times for various problems and funnily enough is at the dealership as we speak for a safety recall and other faults... Think it's time to get rid

So you don't mind losing a huge lump of money?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants