Mesh Wifi

Found 26th Feb
Our house has a lot of wifi dead spots which range extenders don't do a lot to help. I was looking at perhaps investing in a mesh wifi system but it is quite a big outlay.

Does anyone here have any experience they can share (good or bad)?

Many thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
4 Comments
I have an old house (1890s built) thick solid wall and on larger side (3500 sq ft). I tried lots of different solutions till I started using BT's wifi mesh about a month ago. Currently running with just 2 discs and it covers the entire house with most places having very good speeds - it still leaves a couple of corners with less than full signal. I'll add a third disc when there is some discount offer on them. I'm for one very pleased that I went down the mesh route.
If range extenders aren't doing much then going for a different variation of the same technology wouldn't be my first choice.

I'd first look at running the ethernet cables so you can have your access points connected by wire instead of wirelessly. It works better and it's a lot cheaper to upgrade in future.

If that's really not possible then consider homeplug systems, you can even get units with access points built in so you don't need a seperate one.
EndlessWaves8 m ago

If range extenders aren't doing much then going for a different variation …If range extenders aren't doing much then going for a different variation of the same technology wouldn't be my first choice. I'd first look at running the ethernet cables so you can have your access points connected by wire instead of wirelessly. It works better and it's a lot cheaper to upgrade in future.If that's really not possible then consider homeplug systems, you can even get units with access points built in so you don't need a seperate one.

Not so sure as one of the main reasons for poor WIFI coverage is that people tend have strange ideas about where WIFI Routers should go (i.e. under the stairs covered or hidden in a cupboard). Mesh setup software gives you a rough idea where you should put these devices for the best signal strength.
Original Poster
astreix2 h, 55 m ago

I have an old house (1890s built) thick solid wall and on larger side …I have an old house (1890s built) thick solid wall and on larger side (3500 sq ft). I tried lots of different solutions till I started using BT's wifi mesh about a month ago. Currently running with just 2 discs and it covers the entire house with most places having very good speeds - it still leaves a couple of corners with less than full signal. I'll add a third disc when there is some discount offer on them. I'm for one very pleased that I went down the mesh route.

This sounds very similar to my circumstances. Tempted to give it a try.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants