Mesh wifi system

Posted 28th Oct
Moved house recently and have a blackspot that my BT smarthub wifi wont reach, used a wifi homeplug and doesn't make much difference according to my son.
Wouldn't normally bother me but with him studying Uni work he is busting my chops to get something sorted.
What is the best mesh system for £100 or less, will hold out for an ebay code or black friday if need be.
Ta.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Please don't be tempted by the Tenda MW3 or MW6, they're genuinely terrible.
I thought BT guaranteed your speed in every corner of your house ?

Or they would provide something to fix it (free ?).......

Did I just imagine all those annoying adverts ?
I recommend the google WiFi - you can pick up the base units for around £69 each so just over your budget for two, but worth it!
tintin728/10/2019 19:46

I thought BT guaranteed your speed in every corner of your house ?Or they …I thought BT guaranteed your speed in every corner of your house ?Or they would provide something to fix it (free ?).......Did I just imagine all those annoying adverts ?

Think that's only if you take out the more expensive complete wifi and new contract, it'll be cheaper to buy new ones.
Unfortunately there's no decent mesh Wifi for £100. You're limiting yourself hugely on that budget.

I run second hand (eBay) Ubiquiti points (AP AC PRO)
Smarthubs normally have really good wifi, I have a Smarthub 6 in a large house and it's excellent, have you tried separating the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, then you can select different channels on each, you might get better coverage on certain channels especially on 5 GHz

It's definitely worth separating the bands, your get much better performance on 5 GHz with AC even on a low signal, if you leave devices to make the choice they have a habit of choosing 2.4 GHz.

It's pretty simple to do, the 2.4 GHz band will retain the same SSID so everything stays connected to 2.4 GHz network, the 5 GHz will get a new SSID.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 28th Oct
perhaps look into why the PL/HP didn't work, in my experience they work better than mesh systems in many cases if set up correctly, also to match a mesh speed they need to be the same standard.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants