Groups

Metal work expert/worker

I need to have a bracket made to a specific size to hang something in my shed. I have called a couple of local companies, and was quoted £60 and £50 respectively. I have never asked in the past for something like this, but it seems to me that it's pretty expensive. The bracket is a U shape, 3 holes to be drilled to fit it in the shed. A hook welded on the flat bit, 25cm long, by 5cm by 8cm. Using a 3mm thick metal. Could anyone with some kind of experience in metal work tell me if the above price is what i should expect to pay. Thank you

16 Comments

Doesn't sound expensive for getting something bespoke

Your paying for someone to make a bespoke item, sounds extremely reasonable,

You haven't said what the bracket is used for. What sort of stresses will it take ?

Original Poster

A punching bag 25 to 30kg
    J

Doesn't sound out of order for a one off item.

£50 seems very reasonable to me

probably going to take more than 1 hour plus materials and welding kit ......

how much were you thinking ?

EliTom

Banned

mutley1

Doesn't sound expensive for getting something bespoke

Good God..... I agree with Mutley yet again. Its getting all to common

Anyways. The price of the metal plus a standard hours labour in fabrication. Price seems about right.
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 30th Aug 2016

Original Poster

elitom

£50 seems very reasonable to meprobably going to take more than 1 hour … £50 seems very reasonable to meprobably going to take more than 1 hour plus materials and welding kit ......how much were you thinking ?EliTom

I really did not have a clue but not that much. I did not think that it would take too long to make, folding a sheet of metal in a U shape, drill 3 holes and weld a hook did not seems too much work if you have the equipment, but then TBH i don't have a clue about cost of materials and labour charge. Thanks anyway guys, right now i can't justify spending that much on this. I will have to find a different way

YouDontWantToKnow

Good God..... I agree with Mutley yet again. Its getting all to common … Good God..... I agree with Mutley yet again. Its getting all to common Anyways. The price of the metal plus a standard hours labour in fabrication. Price seems about right.

and then factor in the following scenario

customer does not like the end result
    customer breaks the item and wants it repaired FOC
    can customer do this themself ...... er no ...
    fabricator is very busy anyways - so price goes up - if customer really wants it they will pay

real world economics

EliTom

Banned

elitom

and then factor in the following scenariocustomer does not like the end … and then factor in the following scenariocustomer does not like the end resultcustomer breaks the item and wants it repaired FOCcan customer do this themself ...... er no ...fabricator is very busy anyways - so price goes up - if customer really wants it they will payreal world economics :)EliTom

Spot on

Original Poster

bigweapon07

Could just buy one … Could just buy one http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/fitness-mad-punch-bag-ceiling-hook/59550/?o=black&ladid=uk

i have got like a double lint going across where i want to hand the bag, and as it is only soft wood, i wanted the bracket to be 25cm, probably an overkill, but just did not want the bag to fall down or break the wood.

Original Poster

elitom

and then factor in the following scenariocustomer does not like the end … and then factor in the following scenariocustomer does not like the end resultcustomer breaks the item and wants it repaired FOCcan customer do this themself ...... er no ...fabricator is very busy anyways - so price goes up - if customer really wants it they will payreal world economics :)EliTom

TBH i am not worry about the way it looks, as long as it fits (most important criteria), it's in my shed, not my living room. But you are right, long' time since i had something made and probably lost track with the reality of how much things cost

Why don't you attach a sturdy peice of wood to the roof where you are proposing to fit the bracket and attach a hook to the wood ? Total price perhaps £10 ?

Edited by: "RxTx" 30th Aug 2016

Original Poster

RxTx

Why don't you attach a sturdy peice of wood to the roof where you are … Why don't you attach a sturdy peice of wood to the roof where you are proposing to fit the bracket and attach a hook to the wood ? Total price perhaps £10 ?

Yes i may go down that route if I don't find a cheaper one, i just wanted in metal so that it could last forever
    J

jeannot18

Yes i may go down that route if I don't find a cheaper one, i just wanted … Yes i may go down that route if I don't find a cheaper one, i just wanted in metal so that it could last forever J

If you do it with a decent peice of wood and keep it dry it'll last decades I'm sure.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Apples new update35
      2. iPhone X 256GB for £569 on O2 - Pre Order1116
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)58474
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423114445

See more discussions