Meteorite shower on the 12th? or 13th in UK?

55 replies
Found 10th Aug 2007
Does any1 have any info on the meteorite shower next week?, can we see it in uk ? (edinburgh), time and day, or can sum1 point me to a site with the sum info.

Cheers in advance.

JB

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
53 Comments

i remember sitting in hampi in india watching them
fantastic spectacle unless it was the drugs

Daily Mail said it was from 12 on sunday and everyone should be able to see

Oh awesome, glad you posted this as I didn't know about it

Starlet

Oh awesome, glad you posted this as I didn't know about it

I usually find out after it has happened! I am sure I will forget about it anyway though :thumbsup:

Banned

kelly_o_fanatic

Daily Mail said it was from 12 on sunday and everyone should be able to … Daily Mail said it was from 12 on sunday and everyone should be able to see

You read it too. I got slated for saying Daily Mail before now.

Prissymiss

You read it too. I got slated for saying Daily Mail before now.

Yea, a few people on HUKD dont like it - but I dont like the Sun.....everyone has their own opinion. We get the daily mail delivered daily.

vinylandtrinkets

my husband stayed up till 3am this morning to see this LOL

I was awake last night / this morning too so went outside from about 2 to half 2. Saw 3 shooting stars and that was it (whoopeedoo!). Nothing spectacular about it. All three I saw I saw out the corner of my eye.

Looks like i've missed it!, I was going off this : observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_…tml

So thought it would be tonight! (well early Monday morning.)

Apparently the best night is tonight. I just heard it was sunday morning. But apparently its tonight

Yeah, I've been looking out (I am up at that time any way) and not seen anything Fingers crossed for tonight!

It's usually too cloudy for things like this when they happen but today looks good so I'll have a gander...

meteorite shower? Its ARMAGEDDON ffs!:giggle: were all going to dieeeeeeeeeeeee:whistling:

I had completely forgotten about this!

What time is it supposed to start???

Meteor shower may be truly stellar
By Joe Bauman
Deseret Morning News
Published: Aug. 6, 2007
E-MAIL | PRINT | FONT + -
The annual Perseid meteor shower, which will bombard Earth the night of Aug. 12-13, may be one of the most spectacular in years.
Patrick Wiggins, NASA solar system ambassador to Utah, pointed out that the shower's peak will coincide with the new moon, when no moonlight is present. Light pollution of any kind, even from the moon, tends to wash out the dimmer meteors.
"Anytime that you want to see the maximum number of meteors, you want to have as dark a sky as possible," Wiggins said. That requires getting away from city lights as much as possible.
The best show should happen after midnight, when "you're actually facing the oncoming swarm" of tiny bits of ice and dust, he said.
The debris was left in the path of Comet Swift-Tuttle when it rounded the sun on one of its orbits. The material hangs in space until Earth happens to intersect the comet's path, when a blizzard of cometary bits will strike the atmosphere and burn up.
While not dangerous, the fireworks can be an amazing light show in the sky. Sometimes large fireballs leave behind a smoky trail from dust particles burning in the upper atmosphere.
It's tough to stay up all night or rise at 2 a.m. But the dedicated will "get out of town, get away from light pollution and observe after midnight," he said.

Story continues below
A few Perseid meteors have already flashed through the heavens, and more will come as the peak approaches. "But during that magic couple of hours," Wiggins said, "that's when you can get a big spike in activity."
Two to three meteors per minute may be visible. They will streak at various angles, generally seeming to originate near the constellation Perseus.
To enjoy them, simply lie back on a lawn chair or sleeping bag and look up, Wiggins added. "Basically, these things will call attention to themselves.

CAME ACROSS THIS thought id share it

It's too cloudy here. :-(

:w00t: IVE SEEN 1 :w00t:
:w00t: IVE SEEN 1:w00t:

Banned

TAKE PICS PlEASE

sure thing :thumbsup:

well i tried takin some pics but u cant see the stars:x

Clear skies here tonight too but I haven't seen any yet.

do metorites leave a tail behind them if u get me

yeah they do

well where is everyone else looking becuase im pretty sure that im facing north???

what time will the shower hit its peak?

I started looking and saw one about 5 seconds later!

But then the clouds rushed over and it started chucking it down. Oh well.

Hits peak around 2am apparently.

Aww we have clear skies at the moment here in Brighton.
Just been laying out on my kids 10ft trampoline watching them...:thumbsup:
My otherhalf has just seen his first one ever...yay!

Its pretty good considering my neighbours leave their lights on all night long...

If my littlest daughter would be happy watching them, Id take a trip up the Downs for a better look, but she would probably start thinking they would be going to hit her head...bless!

Hope everyone gets a look tonite....:)

Kim

Banned

I stood outside at about 11.45. Saw one within 10 seconds - then nothing for the next 20 minutes. To be fair, I didnt expect to see anything with the light polution where I live. When I saw the one I did - my outside light came on, so that made the viewing even more unlikely. Streak only lasted for about 2 seconds.

Its not getting cloudy, so I'll call it a day!

My littlun was desperate to be woken to have a peek. I think he'd be dissapointed, so I'll let him sleep!

dark gloomy skys here in Norfolk! Saw three last night though.

Just been out watching them, fantastic, I saw about 10 in 15 minutes.

Sky is very clear here.:)

Banned

ryancs

well where is everyone else looking becuase im pretty sure that im facing … well where is everyone else looking becuase im pretty sure that im facing north???

Your looking in the wrong direction. They are coming from the East.

Directly above .. most of mine were, one or two in the east.

Banned

ryancs

do metorites leave a tail behind them if u get me

A thin streak of very fast moving light is all you will see - and last for a split second, to maybe a couple.

You are thinking of a comet. A totally different thing. You would see a long tail with those - but they dont look like they are moving. Relatively speaking, they stay in the same position and the only movement you would see would be via a time lapse camera - and even then it would be negligable - unless over several nights.

Just walked home from gf's house, seen lots of fast moving lights. Few shooting stars, don't last longer than a second though!

i cant see nothing in slough

Nothing in northampton

Banned

Help! There's loads in the South East.

We're getting bombarded. One has just gone in my eye!

The end is nigh!

Seen a few, but the clouds kept passing over. And having to call the police to report a joyrider crashing and abandoning a car in the middle of it got my adrenaline flowing!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769554
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming2849
    3. Add one, leave one game54415461
    4. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4181

See more discussions