Groups

Meter readers turning up at night?

I've just had a man turning up on my doorstep (about 7.50 pm), telling me he had come to read my gas and electric meters. I refused to let him in as I did not think that meter readers worked this late? Three months ago, I changed over to Sainsburys Energy (still British Gas) from British Gas and for several years now, I have submitted my meter readings every month on-line. I have not had a meter reader turning up at my house for about 6 years now. Is this normal practice for a meter reader to turn up at this time of night? Thank you.

15 Comments

Yes I have my meter read in the evening. I'm with British gas.

They do lots in the evening as people are in. They can call anytime up until 9pm.

Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I have a set direct debit with Sainsburys Energy and at the moment I'm in credit by around £120 (presently paying more monthly than I should). The last time that British Gas read my meter, things were messed up a bit as I got two monthly bills in one month, in error, and it took a while to sort that out. When I changed over to Sainsburys Energy, I was told that going on last year's usage with British Gas, they would set my direct debit at a set amount for 12 months and then it would be reviewed - does this mean that I'm going to get regular monthly visits from the meter man as well? Thank you.

Sophiasky

Thank you for the replies. I have a set direct debit with Sainsburys … Thank you for the replies. I have a set direct debit with Sainsburys Energy and at the moment I'm in credit by around £120 (presently paying more monthly than I should). The last time that British Gas read my meter, things were messed up a bit as I got two monthly bills in one month, in error, and it took a while to sort that out. When I changed over to Sainsburys Energy, I was told that going on last year's usage with British Gas, they would set my direct debit at a set amount for 12 months and then it would be reviewed - does this mean that I'm going to get regular monthly visits from the meter man as well? Thank you.

Unless it's flagged for unusual usage I would expect it twice a year.
    I was flagged a few years ago. Moved jobs which meant I was working away all week and out and about at the weekend so was only averaging about £20 a month for gas and electric. Had about 4 visits. 3 just to read the meter and one for a safely check on my meter (in reality they were checking to see if I was stealing power by bypassing the meter). Never seen anybody since.

just fill out the card he leaves u with readings on and leave in window then he wont bother u, youll get him coming about twice a year

Original Poster

garymolyneux1

just fill out the card he leaves u with readings on and leave in window … just fill out the card he leaves u with readings on and leave in window then he wont bother u, youll get him coming about twice a year

Thank you, he didn't give me a card, though. He told me that he called on the 21st at 8.45 am in the morning and spoke to a man here with dark hair, who told him to come back. My oldest son is blond, not dark and he never mentioned a call - apart from that, I was in on that morning as I had no work, so think he must have got the wrong house. Anyway, I've written down my readings and will leave them on the doorstep tomorrow morning. Thank you.

We have British Gas prepayment meters with the little card machine to top up from home - a man from G4S appears a few times a year to check our meters and he always comes round in the evening, normally when I'm busy. He's rude and smells awful too. Woe betide if I dare to be out, he leaves handwritten notes explaining in great detail how he knocked on the door and mercilessly waited for me to answer. Hoping he won't be the meter man when we change to normal meters!

I would have done the same thing.

I'm a meter reader we call about twice a year but we always leave a card ,so ur best bet is leave reading like u said,and we work up to 8pm cheers

Phone your provider and insist they mark your account 'No visits after 6:00pm' and G4S meter readers will see this on their hand-held terminal, I'm sure they don't like disturbing people at that time either.

Contact your provider and see if they are able to set up a password on your account which the meter reader will give you to prove he or she is genuine

Original Poster

Thank you for all your help and advice, much appreciated.

If in doubt, ask to see ID that proves they are who they say.

They do also "read the meter" to check its condition, make sure it's not damaged and is safe for you to be near. I would assume that even with smart meters, meter readers will still be coming round to check your meter

CaptCShadow

If in doubt, ask to see ID that proves they are who they say.

​but half of us wouldn't know fake ID anyway. best thing is call up your energy supplier to confirm they've sent someone out but who can be bothered to do that. I only let them in if my hubby is home otherwise I just don't answer the door as there's been a lot of burglaries at knife point by fake meter readers who showed their fake IDs in my area.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions