Micro ATX mATX case upgrade!

Posted 24th Jun 2020
Hey all,

was wondering if I could upgrade my PC look without running into any problems. I want to change the case, I have a Micro ATX motherboard with GPU, CPU etc. Are all components compatible with a new Micro ATX case also?

Will the Graphics card, PSU, etc fit in a new case that's also a Micro ATX without any problems?

I'm sorry if this question isn't asked correctly, new to all this hardware swapping/upgrading.

Thanks for the help in advance
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
look at the case specifications for the micro atx they will include the maximum length and size of cpu ,gpu, ram clearance, power supply form factor etc
Edited by: "BabaGanoush" 24th Jun
Ah, that's how it is. So one doesn't fit/hold all
BabaGanoush24/06/2020 18:16

look at the case specifications for the micro atx they will include the …look at the case specifications for the micro atx they will include the maximum length and size of cpu ,gpu, ram clearance, power supply form factor etc

Thanks for explaining, had no idea.
MicroATX is a motherboard standard only. A Micro ATX case just means one that takes MicroATX motherboards (and often other sizes too).

Power supply will depend on the size of the case rather than the motherboard. ATX is the most popular, but some smaller MicroATX compatible cases might use SFX.

PCI-Express specifies things like the physical mounting points and interfaces for graphics cards. In practice everything uses it so the main distinction is half height/low profile vs. full size PCI-E cards and length. Higher power consumption graphics cards in recent years can also be oversized height-wise compared with a standard card.

Cases have been increasing in size as a general rule over recent years so it is likely that everything is compatible and you're most likely to run into problems in more compact cases.
Zoostorm Stormforce Tornado Vr Ready Intel Core I5, 8Gb Ram, 1Tb Hard Drive, Pc Gaming Desktop With Nvidia Gtx 1060 6Gb Graphics

This is the PC I got for gaming a few years back and the case is HUGE and it's looking pretty boring now after 3 years. That's what my wife said
41197917-OmLDC.jpg
I know these specs are pretty obsolete by now with the rapidly expanding hardware made available every few months. Surprised I haven't got a floppy drive in this with its age and all
Are you sure it's micro ATX?
If the motherboard only reaches 4 slot plate covers down, it's a micro, if it reaches 7 slot plates down, it's a standard - that determines the motherboard fitting style of the case.

If it's this one amazon.co.uk/Sto…G39
Then it's a full ATX board

If the graphics card is a single fan or dual fan model, probably no great concern over graphics card length - when you get to 3 fan models, then length gets critical.
CPU heatsink height is another thing to consider, but if going from a conventional tower case to another, unlikely to be an issue unless the heatsink is an exceptionally tall one, similarly in the normal tower format, the PSU is going to be standard ATX.
Also, if you want to keep the DVD drive, need a case with a place for it - that rules out full glass fronts - there are some mesh front style cases with drive bay

If you want to go to the smallest possible case style, then there are a lot more considerations.

You could tart up the existing case with an ARGB remote control fan kit. amazon.co.uk/upH…1_7

Also, if it has 8GB RAM and a GTX1060, for goodness sake get another 8GB RAM in it
Post a comment
@
    Text