Micro PC overheating help

Found 18th Mar
Hi all

I have a micro PC that was high spec in 2012 and is still competent today. But it has started overheating. I added a few things into what is a small case which I have since removed - i.e. a sound card and SSD drive - but the issue has continued. Would welcome any help. Should I be looking at the CPU cooler and heatsink? Also I have been told a few times by the machine that the CPU has overheated - how do I know if it is permanently damaged?
Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
My pc was freezing up and restarting. Turns out the cooler on the cpu was full of dust and wasn't circulating the air properly
richje1004 m ago

My pc was freezing up and restarting. Turns out the cooler on the cpu was …My pc was freezing up and restarting. Turns out the cooler on the cpu was full of dust and wasn't circulating the air properly

Thanks for responding. Did you have to dismantle it for cleaning ?
After that length of time I would remove the heatsink from the cpu, put some new paste on after cleaning old off and then put it all back together.
Just pop the side off and clean the cpu heat sink. If then continues to over heat repaste the cpu.
I'd use a can of air found in asda for £2 to spray out the dust
You want to remove the cpu fan and heat sink and redo the thermal paste and if possible put a new fan on. Should solve the issue.
Remove the CPU cooler. YouTube it if you're unsure. Clean the top of CPU and base of heatsink with isopropyl alcohol. Clean off the dust from the heatsink and fan (make sure to clean both sides of the blades) Apply a very very small amount of thermal paste to the top of the CPU and fit back together. Finally, clear any other dust from within PC and check all vents on the case are clear.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants