Micro SD card/SD Card or SSD for backup

Posted 27th Feb
Hi

For those in the know, I just need to store files and with *not* frequent access to them. I would backup and use these from time to time for read mostly.

So, are SD/MicroSD cards suitable for this? They are cheaper than SSD and very easy to manage.

Thanks.
Robie
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
SSD. It's easier to just have an SSD that you can backup your files to rather than small SD or micro SD cards that can easily get lost or jumbled up. Also not every computer or laptop has an SD card slot which might be something to bear in mind.
Not entirely clear if asking as suitable for occasional storage access or suitable for dedicated longterm backup, but no reason why a memory card could not be a useful part of a backup strategy, but ideally not the entire backup regime (general good practice would be typically to aim for minimum 3 instances of data, different storage locations, etc).
Are you asking which device to use for the occasional storage bit or for the backup of that bit? Your post isn't very clear.

You don't say how often you'll be adding files to the primary copy or how often you'll be backing it up, but as long as it's not that much or that often an SD card should last a decent amount of time. A hundred megabytes split over once or twice a week would be fine.
Portable harddrives are the cheapest backup medium
I wouldnt rely on a micro sd card for my backups.
Thank you all. Apologies if my post was not clear. Doh.

Quite simply I want to keep backup for a long term. Will not be updating it often - say perhaps once a year. It would be for a 'semi-permanent' backup. Backup and then forget until needed.

Hope this clears it up.
AndyRoyd27/02/2020 13:35

Not entirely clear if asking as suitable for occasional storage access or …Not entirely clear if asking as suitable for occasional storage access or suitable for dedicated longterm backup, but no reason why a memory card could not be a useful part of a backup strategy, but ideally not the entire backup regime (general good practice would be typically to aim for minimum 3 instances of data, different storage locations, etc).

Thanks for detailed explanation. Quite simply backup and forget kind of strategy.
bobdylan27/02/2020 15:00

Portable harddrives are the cheapest backup medium

I have had too many hard drives go corrupt on me leading to loss of backup data. That's why I don't even mention them,
EndlessWaves27/02/2020 14:41

Are you asking which device to use for the occasional storage bit or for …Are you asking which device to use for the occasional storage bit or for the backup of that bit? Your post isn't very clear. You don't say how often you'll be adding files to the primary copy or how often you'll be backing it up, but as long as it's not that much or that often an SD card should last a decent amount of time. A hundred megabytes split over once or twice a week would be fine.

May be backup my important large amount of data once and that's it really. Perhaps, add one in a while where while being a year or more in time.
m1keyp1key27/02/2020 18:09

Had a few go wrong on me.

Haha. No wonder you wouldn't recommend them. Same here for normal hard drives going wrong for me.
Multiple cheap mechanical HDDs are still the most robust long term infrequently accessed storage solution for home users.

Tried and tested less than 25 for a 1tb. I've got HDDs from the early 90s I drag out and spin up and work still with no issues. I've since moved them onto my NAS.

Why waste money putting backups on good fast flash memory?
Robiesanta27/02/2020 18:07

I have had too many hard drives go corrupt on me leading to loss of backup …I have had too many hard drives go corrupt on me leading to loss of backup data. That's why I don't even mention them,

Far more reliable than using any kind of SD card, plus cheaper and more GB for your money
Edited by: "bobdylan" 27th Feb
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I am thinking of going SSD/HDD rather than any kind of MicroSD/SD Card.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants