Micro sim card cutter, anyone used one before???

Found 29th Sep 2012
I was thinking to get a micro sim cutter as apparently tmobile charge £11 to swap your normal sim for a micro sim. Ontop of that it can take 48 hours to transfer over.

So i was going to get a sim card cutter from ebay but, matching my tmob sim card to a 3 network micro sim i have. It looks as though when you cut this tmob sim card it will also cut part of the gold contact/chip.

Is this correct? im thinking it will not work as i would of thought this gold contact chip is a electrical board and needs to be complete?!?!?
Community Updates
MiscCardSim
17 Comments
it will work and T-Mobile charge £10.
Got one from Amazon, it was less hassle with a trial Prime membership than going to my nearest T-Mobile store. Cheaper too. Works a bit like a hole punch, obviously the cutter doesn't cut the chip, just around it. Mine came with a couple of adapters too in case you ever need to use my micro SIM as a normal SIM.
Thing is i noticed on normal sized sim cards is the chip is different sizes. The one i have will definitely cut the chip on the left side.
I bought a simcard cutter from ebay , popped my sim in , one push on the handle & out popped a small sim. put it into my lumia 710 & all was fine.
got it from ebay member : universalgadgets01

Edited by: "CiBi1968" 29th Sep 2012
I've got a microsim cutter. If you want to post your sim to me, I'll post it back all cut for you. Saves you having to buy a cutter.
sickly sweet

I've got a microsim cutter. If you want to post your sim to me, I'll post … I've got a microsim cutter. If you want to post your sim to me, I'll post it back all cut for you. Saves you having to buy a cutter.

Nice gesture sickly
sickly sweet

I've got a microsim cutter. If you want to post your sim to me, I'll post … I've got a microsim cutter. If you want to post your sim to me, I'll post it back all cut for you. Saves you having to buy a cutter.

Thanks but still will take atleast 48 hours overall lol.

I think i will just purchase one as they are only £2.14 or something and see how it goes.

Thanks though
Depends, when you got your original sim. it was a while back, then the gold will be bigger than nowadays so cutting the gold could stop the sim working.
Cut mine with scissors, I thought similar to you but it's got a tiny amount of plastic around it. Mine works fine.
If it's definitely going to cut the chip though I wouldn't bother.
Edited by: "Dehumanization" 29th Sep 2012
J4GG4

Thanks but still will take atleast 48 hours overall lol.I think i will … Thanks but still will take atleast 48 hours overall lol.I think i will just purchase one as they are only £2.14 or something and see how it goes.Thanks though

Can't you get a T Mobile Sim and ask them to change the numbers over?
aircanman

Can't you get a T Mobile Sim and ask them to change the numbers over?

I dont see why that method wouldnt work. However to my surprise recently 3 were not able to do that from a micro payg unused sim onto my pay monthly.
Got one for £1.99 delivered. So time will tell if these devices are a neat gadget or a door stop.
sickly sweet

yeah after you've used all his minutes, data and sent txts to random people who will start replying once he uses his sim again
Just to update, i used the micro sim card cutter. And as i suspected it cut about 3mm from the left side of the chip!!!!!!!!!!!

To my surprise the now micro sim card still works!!!!!!
On some sim cards the contacts will be trimmed - but not completely removed. The silicon attached to the contacts is generally a lot smaller and central above them so in most circumstances it should be fine.
Print off template on internet, cut it with scissors.

Other halfs Lumia came with a template. Had no issues.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants