Microsoft are retiring Groove Music

Editor 11
Found 2nd Oct 2017
Groove Music was (is) awesome...for Forza Horizon 3. Sadly Microsoft are retiring the service. They are going to stop selling music passes soon (I'm not sure why soon if they know it's dead) for the service and customers currently subscribed to the service will be refunded pro-rata.

2804865.jpg
The good news is that they are partnering with Spotify. The Verge says...

"Microsoft is partnering with Spotify to make it easy for Groove Music subscribers to move their playlists over to the rival music streaming service. An update to the Groove Music app will be available for Windows 10 users next week, and Windows Insiders will get early access this week. Microsoft and Spotify have been working together on a Windows 10 app and a separate app for the Xbox One, so it’s not a surprise to see Microsoft pick Spotify as its preferred partner for Groove Music subscribers.

While the streaming music element of Groove Music is disappearing fully, Microsoft says it will continue to invest in the music app for Windows 10 to ensure users can still access local MP3 files and those stored in OneDrive. iOS and Android users of the Groove Music app will also be able to continue using music from OneDrive, but streaming will finish on December 31st. Microsoft will now recommend Windows users try Spotify if they want streaming music. That’s a big boost to Spotify, but also an admission that the Zune era is fully over at Microsoft as it seeks to partner instead of creating its own rival services."

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

Oh, Microsoft. I wonder if they ever stop to consider that part of the reason why relatively few people buy into their service ecosystems is that they're so undependable long-term. This is what, the second or third music service Microsoft have dropped? It hardly inspires confidence in the brand.

Anything other than Enterprise, Windows or Office from Microsoft just feels like "Oh this has been popular the last few years, let's give it a shot even though the chance for market share has been and gone"

Edit: Forgot Xbox
Edited by: "drasim" 2nd Oct 2017

So this is why they didn’t revoke those free passes that stacked, a couple of months ago. Oh well.

Original Poster Editor

Biddy21 m ago

So this is why they didn’t revoke those free passes that stacked, a couple …So this is why they didn’t revoke those free passes that stacked, a couple of months ago. Oh well.

Well, weirdly they've all been stripped back today. Mine is down to April 2018 and I've spoken to somebody else who's had theirs knocked down too

BuzzDuraband9 m ago

Well, weirdly they've all been stripped back today. Mine is down to April …Well, weirdly they've all been stripped back today. Mine is down to April 2018 and I've spoken to somebody else who's had theirs knocked down too

Can’t find it on my account. It’s offering me a Groove free pass for some odd reason.

Original Poster Editor

Biddy21 m ago

Can’t find it on my account. It’s offering me a Groove free pass for some o …Can’t find it on my account. It’s offering me a Groove free pass for some odd reason.

All your subs are displayed here : account.microsoft.com/ser…es/

Or should be

BuzzDuraband3 m ago

All your subs are displayed here : account.microsoft.com/services/Or …All your subs are displayed here : account.microsoft.com/services/Or should be

Ta Buzz. Still not showing for me however.

32156999-1itEt.jpg

I’ll try again on a desktop.

Original Poster Editor

Biddy21 m ago

Ta Buzz. Still not showing for me however.[Image] I’ll try again on a d …Ta Buzz. Still not showing for me however.[Image] I’ll try again on a desktop.

Oh, wait. It's not showing on mine now. It was there around an hour ago

Original Poster Editor

BuzzDuraband3 m ago

Oh, wait. It's not showing on mine now. It was there around an hour ago

Just checked the app on my phone and I'm still able to stream from it.

BuzzDuraband26 m ago

Just checked the app on my phone and I'm still able to stream from it.

Just checked and I can stream still as well.

Hopefully Spotify will get integrated intoForza Horizon 3 when Groove ends. Will be a real shame to lose that.

I used the Napster streaming service first (paid, not the old P2P piracy), then moved to MS's service which they rebranded at least twice until it got bad enough for me to try Spotify Premium which is my favourite so far by miles.
Have also tried Amazon and Google but they don't compete for me.
Hardly a surprise to see this go as MS are getting more clueless by each passing year.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions