MICROSOFT GOLF 99 ERROR

Found 9th Aug 2017
Running windows 7 64 home and downloaded above game. when its installed etc im getting ''msgolf99 requires 15.5mb to run'' Ive tried everything from right clicking properties / compatability and selecting a lower OS to downloading DOSBOX I play most old games just by changing it via compatability view but nothing.... its a iso so ive had to download magicdisk too. someone please help
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
22 Comments
Original Poster
Bump
Does it state memory or virtual memory as this is a big point
Original Poster
kester765 m ago

Does it state memory or virtual memory as this is a big point

The only tab apart from comparability tab I've checked is control panel - system - advanced and clicked on virtual memory and selected initial 32mb and maximum 3056
machomansavage6 m ago

The only tab apart from comparability tab I've checked is control panel - …The only tab apart from comparability tab I've checked is control panel - system - advanced and clicked on virtual memory and selected initial 32mb and maximum 3056

Change minimum to 256MB and max 1024MB and give it a go. Remember that it's pretending to be an old system and 3GB might freak it out a lot.
I think back in 1999 we were rocking on 32MB to 128MB and hard drives of around 10-30GB.
Original Poster
kester765 m ago

Change minimum to 256MB and max 1024MB and give it a go. Remember that …Change minimum to 256MB and max 1024MB and give it a go. Remember that it's pretending to be an old system and 3GB might freak it out a lot.

Thanks where is minimum tho? I can only see initial and maximum
machomansavage3 m ago

Thanks where is minimum tho? I can only see initial and maximum

custom size -> Initial size (MB) in the virtual memory options
I think it should be roughly 1.5x your memory size but you need to guess at what the game would expect to see in 1999.
Systems requirements were

System Requirements
  • Min RAM Size
    24 MB
  • Min Hard Drive Space
    55 MB
  • Min Processor Speed
    90 MHz
  • OS Family
    Windows

Program is probably freaking out big time at your super mainframe specs
Original Poster
kester769 m ago

custom size -> Initial size (MB) in the virtual memory options

Thanks sorry to be a paid but all in seeing is "initial size and maximum size" no minimum size
machomansavage9 m ago

Thanks sorry to be a paid but all in seeing is "initial size and maximum …Thanks sorry to be a paid but all in seeing is "initial size and maximum size" no minimum size

Sorry, initial size is the minimum size. It's the size it starts the pagefile at. I assume the program can't register large numbers because at the time 3GB would be around a 3rd of the average hard drive size. That's around 1TB now.

My 16GB system managed pagefile is 16MB - 2941MB in 2017
Just double checking that you're doing this in a virtual machine and not changing your windows 7 specs to these ?
Original Poster
kester768 m ago

Just double checking that you're doing this in a virtual machine and not …Just double checking that you're doing this in a virtual machine and not changing your windows 7 specs to these ?

​changing my system settings to these via system - adnaved options. how do i download a virtual machine? and dosbox was awful
Original Poster
kester7644 m ago

Just double checking that you're doing this in a virtual machine and not …Just double checking that you're doing this in a virtual machine and not changing your windows 7 specs to these ?

​bump
Been a while since I've last done this and I was running windows 7 pro so it came with a windows XP OS image.
I would probably hunt around for a copy of windows 98 SE. This probably would work archive.org/dow…607
Original Poster
kester7613 m ago

Been a while since I've last done this and I was running windows 7 pro so …Been a while since I've last done this and I was running windows 7 pro so it came with a windows XP OS image.I would probably hunt around for a copy of windows 98 SE. This probably would work https://archive.org/download/win98se_201607

Thanks for all your help today I've kinda given up now lol wish Microsoft would make comparability easier. Don't know how I'm running resident evil 1 which came out in 1996 on my PC fine and ms golf 99 won't lol
Yeah, those early Windows games are always the trickiest to get working. There's nothing comparable to Dosbox and compatibility on recent systems is often poor.

You could try Wine which is sometimes a solution. It's even more aimed at tinkerers than Dosbox though.

For a simpler life it looks like the slightly later games in the series are better supported by modern systems, Microsoft Links 2003 is even still being sold. They might be worth trying if it doesn't have to be the 1999 edition specifically.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 9th Aug 2017
Original Poster
EndlessWaves14 m ago

Yeah, those early Windows games are always the trickiest to get working. …Yeah, those early Windows games are always the trickiest to get working. There's nothing comparable to Dosbox and compatibility on recent systems is often poor.You could try Wine which is sometimes a solution. It's even more aimed at tinkerers than Dosbox though.For a simpler life it looks like the slightly later games in the series are better supported by modern systems, Microsoft Links 2003 is even still being sold. They might be worth trying if it doesn't have to be the 1999 edition specifically.

Thanks for your reply! So WINE I need to download? Also would you agree that dosbox is awful? And wouldn't be a solution to my problem?
machomansavage21 m ago

Thanks for all your help today I've kinda given up now lol wish Microsoft …Thanks for all your help today I've kinda given up now lol wish Microsoft would make comparability easier. Don't know how I'm running resident evil 1 which came out in 1996 on my PC fine and ms golf 99 won't lol

In its defence it's only a simple memory check which probably has an command arguement to disable it. Windows is pretty amazing to support older titles as not many OSs support older software.

Also this game was superceeded by ms golf 2001 so support would have been dropped.
I would just run a virtual machine running windows 98 se and enjoy it on that.
Original Poster
kester761 m ago

In its defence it's only a simple memory check which probably has an …In its defence it's only a simple memory check which probably has an command arguement to disable it. Windows is pretty amazing to support older titles as not many OSs support older software. Also this game was superceeded by ms golf 2001 so support would have been dropped.I would just run a virtual machine running windows 98 se and enjoy it on that.

Thanks man! And that's the link u sent me? That will also download a virtual machine for me?
kester7610 m ago

In its defence it's only a simple memory check which probably has an …In its defence it's only a simple memory check which probably has an command arguement to disable it. Windows is pretty amazing to support older titles as not many OSs support older software. Also this game was superceeded by ms golf 2001 so support would have been dropped.I would just run a virtual machine running windows 98 se and enjoy it on that.

Yup, complaining about a 1998 program not running on your modern Windows PC is like complaining your Palm Pilot software won't run on your modern Alcatel android smartphone.

Microsoft has maintained an amazing amount of compatibility in comparison to almost every other piece of software from the 90s.
machomansavage15 m ago

Thanks for your reply! So WINE I need to download? Also would you agree …Thanks for your reply! So WINE I need to download? Also would you agree that dosbox is awful? And wouldn't be a solution to my problem?

I'd say dosbox was brilliant personally. I don't think I've ever had it display any sort of weirdness on my which is quite an achievement considering this was the era of the PC compatible.

The interface is rubbish unfortunately, but it's a hobbyist project not a commercial one so different things are important.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves26 m ago

Yup, complaining about a 1998 program not running on your modern Windows …Yup, complaining about a 1998 program not running on your modern Windows PC is like complaining your Palm Pilot software won't run on your modern Alcatel android smartphone. Microsoft has maintained an amazing amount of compatibility in comparison to almost every other piece of software from the 90s.I'd say dosbox was brilliant personally. I don't think I've ever had it display any sort of weirdness on my which is quite an achievement considering this was the era of the PC compatible.The interface is rubbish unfortunately, but it's a hobbyist project not a commercial one so different things are important.

Mount C C:/ done all that but still won't play
Original Poster
EndlessWaves1 h, 50 m ago

Yup, complaining about a 1998 program not running on your modern Windows …Yup, complaining about a 1998 program not running on your modern Windows PC is like complaining your Palm Pilot software won't run on your modern Alcatel android smartphone. Microsoft has maintained an amazing amount of compatibility in comparison to almost every other piece of software from the 90s.I'd say dosbox was brilliant personally. I don't think I've ever had it display any sort of weirdness on my which is quite an achievement considering this was the era of the PC compatible.The interface is rubbish unfortunately, but it's a hobbyist project not a commercial one so different things are important.

Btw I'm not getting any 32 or 64 errors just msg "requires 15.5mb to run" so are you sure this has anything to do with downloading software? Or is this an easy fix?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions