Microsoft Onedrive vs Google One

Posted 1st Jul
Hello,
I'm contemplating paying for 100gb of storage.
Both of these provide that.
Google is a touch cheaper and seems to have some kind of unlimited storage for photos in their normal size or something, but Onedrive seems to work better with my MS Office software.

I only need 100gb for now. I take lots of photos. I need to be able to share specific folders with specific people only. I need to be able to share photos from my cloud storage with others via social apps like Whatsapp and Discord, when out & about - i.e. not photos that are stored locally on the phone or PC.

Does anyone have an opinion on which would be better overall?
Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
I personally use Google One.
In theory OneDrive should be better for me, as I work with Office and I have a Samsung phone. But, I much prefer how Google's storage works.
I haven't given OneDrive a proper go, but I've been using Google storage for the last 8 years and links nicely with all other Google services.
Google's sharing options are so easy to implement - definitely gets my approval
I use OneDrive mainly because my O365 license comes with 1TB space.
I use both. OneDrive gives you 5GB for free, Google 15GB for free. I understand BT may have some free cloud storage also if they are your ISP.
As Google drive is cross-platform I would concentrate on that providing you with more freedom should you drop into Apple or Linux anytime. I find sharing on Google drive much easier
The best advice I can give you is to learn good housekeeping/file management and learn to be very discerning. Stop storing 100+ of the same subject/shoot session.
Google photos my friend, dont use the high quality free option, set them to original quality
tardytortoise01/07/2020 15:58

I use both. OneDrive gives you 5GB for free, Google 15GB for free. I …I use both. OneDrive gives you 5GB for free, Google 15GB for free. I understand BT may have some free cloud storage also if they are your ISP.As Google drive is cross-platform I would concentrate on that providing you with more freedom should you drop into Apple or Linux anytime. I find sharing on Google drive much easierThe best advice I can give you is to learn good housekeeping/file management and learn to be very discerning. Stop storing 100+ of the same subject/shoot session.

Afaik, there is no official free linux support for OneDrive of Google One - so you either need to trust free software from a third party, or pay for a solution from others.

Having said that, I've never looked properly at the integration provided by Gnome if that's your DE of choice.
Edited by: "alg" 1st Jul
Use both.
Work OneDrive: 1Tb with O365 license for document storage
Personal GooglePhotos: Unlimited full Res with my pixel phone.
Personal Google Drive: Personal document storage
I prefer OneDrive due to the sync software it uses.
Gumbon01/07/2020 16:17

Google photos my friend, dont use the high quality free option, set them …Google photos my friend, dont use the high quality free option, set them to original quality

I'm not a fan of Google Photos lacking privacy/security features for sharing albums. You cannot share with an email address that requires login to view for example.

Instead it creates a URL that anyone can visit with or without an account which is unacceptable imo.

Funnily enough they have proper privacy/security for Google Drive sharing!
Edited by: "PenguinsForAll" 1st Jul
alg01/07/2020 17:05

Afaik, there is no official free linux support for OneDrive of Google One …Afaik, there is no official free linux support for OneDrive of Google One - so you either need to trust free software from a third party, or pay for a solution from others. Having said that, I've never looked properly at the integration provided by Gnome if that's your DE of choice.

Yeah I use Google Drive through Gnome DE in Ubuntu. I use Deja Dup as a backup tool currently wiki.gnome.org/App…Dup backing up to free google drive,
but about to think about shifting to duplicati.com/
I only use Windows 10 as a reference so have very few files on my 2 win10 devices - OneDrive does what I want it to do. If I ever need files using either platform they go on free Google Drive.
PenguinsForAll01/07/2020 19:38

I'm not a fan of Google Photos lacking privacy/security features for …I'm not a fan of Google Photos lacking privacy/security features for sharing albums. You cannot share with an email address that requires login to view for example.Instead it creates a URL that anyone can visit with or without an account which is unacceptable imo.Funnily enough they have proper privacy/security for Google Drive sharing!

Yes you can. If you share a picture using "Send in Google Photos" only the person with that Google account would be able to view it.
SpyJoe02/07/2020 11:53

Yes you can. If you share a picture using "Send in Google Photos" only the …Yes you can. If you share a picture using "Send in Google Photos" only the person with that Google account would be able to view it.

Not seeing that.

Share an album with a Google account, go to the shared URL. Copy URL, open private browsing page and then visit URL again, it works without login.
PenguinsForAll02/07/2020 19:39

Not seeing that.Share an album with a Google account, go to the shared …Not seeing that.Share an album with a Google account, go to the shared URL. Copy URL, open private browsing page and then visit URL again, it works without login.

Not sure if it works with albums as I don't have any. Try with 1 or few photos. You should have that option if your app is updated.
SpyJoe02/07/2020 20:23

Not sure if it works with albums as I don't have any. Try with 1 or few …Not sure if it works with albums as I don't have any. Try with 1 or few photos. You should have that option if your app is updated.

I use the web browser UI, tried 1 photo and an album and they both allow public access to the URL.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants