Microsoft reveals Xbox Series X specs and details

Deal editor184
Posted 16th Mar
I've added a thread image and marked it NSFW, the sexy beast

Microsoft have revealed the specs and details for the upcoming Xbox Series X including the new controller that will release bundled.

3423031.jpg
The most powerful console ever
Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever, powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD's latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures.

The new system on a chip (SOC) has been built from the ground up for speed and performance, with 12 teraflops of processing power and with compatibility in mind for four generations of games.

Delivering unparalleled graphical fidelity
The three air-flow channels evenly distribute the temperatures generated by the advanced internal components, keeping the console cool and quiet.

Split motherboard
For the first time ever on console, an innovative split motherboard keeps the Xbox Series X internals evenly temperature controlled, allowing for the console to output more power.

3423031.jpg
Heat-sink chassis
A heat sink is a non-electronic, passive mechanical component that has a vital role in the reliability and performance of the Xbox Series X and is integrated directly into the chassis of the console. This unique component of the parallel cooling architecture helps lend to the distinctive design of the console.

Vapor chamber
The vapor chamber in the Xbox Series X enables evenly spread temperatures with the core and memory.

Whisper-quiet fan
As part of the parallel cooling architecture, the whisper-quiet fan keeps the Xbox Series X internal components cool without disturbing your gameplay.

More storage without compromise
The Xbox Series X Storage Expansion Card provides additional game storage at peak speed and performance by replicating the console's internal custom SSD experience. The 1TB card is inserted directly into the back of the console via the dedicated storage expansion port.

Games play even better
Through the revolutionary new Xbox Velocity Architecture, thousands of games on Xbox One, including Xbox 360 and original Xbox Games, will experience improvements in performance, including improved boot and load times, more stable frame rates, higher resolutions and improved quality on Xbox Series X

3423031.jpg
Meet the new Xbox Wireless Controller
Experience the modernized design of the Xbox Wireless Controller, featuring sculpted surfaces and refined geometry for enhanced comfort during gameplay. Stay on target with textured grip and a hybrid D-pad; capture and share content seamlessly while you play; and quickly pair with, play on, and switch between supported consoles, PCs, and mobile devices.

3423031.jpg
3423031.jpg
3423031.jpg
3423031.jpg
Specs summary:

• CPU - 8x Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz w/ SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU
  • GP - 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs @ 1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU
  • Die Size - 360.45 mm2
  • Process - 7nm Enhanced
  • Memory - 16 GB GDDR6 w/ 320mb bus
  • Memory Bandwidth - 10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s
  • Internal Storage - 1 TB Custom NVME SSD
  • I/O Throughput - 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block)
  • Expandable Storage - 1 TB Expansion Card (matches internal storage exactly)
  • External Storage - USB 3.2 External HDD Support
  • Optical Drive - 4K UHD Blu-Ray Drive
  • Performance Target - 4K @ 60 FPS, Up to 120 FPS
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
koskesh16/03/2020 15:56

They should have made the next gen consoles with real powerful hardware …They should have made the next gen consoles with real powerful hardware instead of these slight upgrades,I don’t think these hardwares will impress.I don’t think people really care if the price is £600-£800 maybe even more.people are used to pay £800-£1000 for phones and they keep phones 2 years, consoles lifespan is 8-10 years.so why not make proper powerful consoles.the average age of a gamer is much higher than 20 years ago.and those who can’t afford it can still buy a Switch and play watered down versions.

Wtf are you on about have you even read and compared the specs! The switch is more expensive than both Xbox and PS4 now! I’ve never paid £600 for a phone and what do you mean people won’t care if they cost £600-£800?!? I think they will! Are you on crack?!?
Edited by: "DigitalKnight" 16th Mar
Usually a play station girl but this excites me
Gormond16/03/2020 13:16

So it has 1TB on-board storage and a propitiatory expansion slot at the …So it has 1TB on-board storage and a propitiatory expansion slot at the back for an additional 1TB storage - Looks like we will have to get used to re downloading games!Also so sign of how much RAM it has unless I missed something?

CPU: 8x Cores x 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz w/ SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU
GPU: 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs x 1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU
Process: 7nm Enhanced
Memory: 16 GB GDDR6 w/ 320mb bus
Internal Storage: 1 TB Custom NVME SSD
I/O Throughput: 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block)
Expandable Storage: 1 TB Expansion Card
Storage: USB 3.2 External HDD Support
Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-Ray
Drive Performance Target: 4K x 60 FPS, Up to 120 FPS
Eden003216/03/2020 12:57

Got here just in time. Where did you see this, got a link @BuzzDuraband ?

My apologies, with all the excitement, THAT CONTROLLER - I forgot to link in
184 Comments
Awesome nice one Buzz
Eden003216/03/2020 12:57

My apologies, with all the excitement, THAT CONTROLLER - I forgot to link in
BuzzDuraband16/03/2020 12:58

My apologies, with all the excitement, THAT CONTROLLER - I forgot to …My apologies, with all the excitement, THAT CONTROLLER - I forgot to link in

SO EXCITING!!!
Usually a play station girl but this excites me
Controller does look good. Still hoping the PS5 is going to deliver
So it has 1TB on-board storage and a propitiatory expansion slot at the back for an additional 1TB storage - Looks like we will have to get used to re downloading games!

Also so sign of how much RAM it has unless I missed something?
Edited by: "Gormond" 16th Mar

So it has 1TB on-board storage and a propitiatory expansion slot at the …So it has 1TB on-board storage and a propitiatory expansion slot at the back for an additional 1TB storage - Looks like we will have to get used to re downloading games!Also so sign of how much RAM it has unless I missed something?

CPU: 8x Cores x 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz w/ SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU
GPU: 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs x 1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU
Process: 7nm Enhanced
Memory: 16 GB GDDR6 w/ 320mb bus
Internal Storage: 1 TB Custom NVME SSD
I/O Throughput: 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block)
Expandable Storage: 1 TB Expansion Card
Storage: USB 3.2 External HDD Support
Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-Ray
Drive Performance Target: 4K x 60 FPS, Up to 120 FPS

Probably stream them, like the shield does now... at some point and it doesn’t say no usb drives...
DF Direct: Hands-On With Xbox Series X + Impressions + Xbox One X Size Comparisons!

digital foundry doing their thing
Edited by: "dealhard" 16th Mar
Like everything I’ll buy one even if I don’t use it, just to say I’ve got one.. then one of my daughters will want one so it will be 2 straight off..
Bargainhead16/03/2020 13:25

Probably stream them, like the shield does now... at some point and it …Probably stream them, like the shield does now... at some point and it doesn’t say no usb drives...

When you read about how the new storage is used as a cache in the Digital Foundry write up - eurogamer.net/art…ecs there is no way new games will be able to run off a USB 3.2 drive, that is why they have put an expansion port in the back. I guess there is nothing stopping them allowing you to use it for older titles though.
Gormond16/03/2020 13:49

When you read about how the new storage is used as a cache in the Digital …When you read about how the new storage is used as a cache in the Digital Foundry write up - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs there is no way new games will be able to run off a USB 3.2 drive, that is why they have put an expansion port in the back. I guess there is nothing stopping them allowing you to use it for older titles though.

They said in the hands on that usb drives can still be used for Xbox One and older generation games, or to offload the new generation games as a backup, but the XSX games will require the SSD.
Ooh, shiny.
Still no release date or when you can preorder?
4K @ 60 FPS . Isn't that the same as the X? Pretty sure it is because that's what I use on mine.
Meathotukdeals16/03/2020 14:28

4K @ 60 FPS . Isn't that the same as the X? Pretty sure it is because …4K @ 60 FPS . Isn't that the same as the X? Pretty sure it is because that's what I use on mine.

It’s up to 120FPS, it’s all down to the developers on how much they want
Meathotukdeals16/03/2020 14:28

4K @ 60 FPS . Isn't that the same as the X? Pretty sure it is because …4K @ 60 FPS . Isn't that the same as the X? Pretty sure it is because that's what I use on mine.

Very few games actually manage 4k60 on the One X. This time it will be the baseline with the high end being 8k120..
Arto16/03/2020 14:38

It’s up to 120FPS, it’s all down to the developers on how much they want

Yeah I saw the upto. Taking it with a pich of salt like so many other upto things.
Gormond16/03/2020 14:39

Very few games actually manage 4k60 on the One X. This time it will be the …Very few games actually manage 4k60 on the One X. This time it will be the baseline with the high end being 8k120..

It's kind of my point.Once again not I'm expecting many to go above the baseline, and just match the X instead. I just play Gears though that is 4K@60. I won't be buying for a possible jump to 120fps. I don't even mind dropping back to Gears Of War 3 that is 30fps.
TAKE MY......

... you know the rest!
I’ll buy it at some point, but Xbox X is enough for what I need. Sick of buying day one and the price start to dropping after a few months. Literally no incentive to be an early adopter.
I'm a PS guy through and through, but hats off to MS, they're handling the build up to the XSX masterfully. Not to mention it looks like an absolute powerhouse.

I know that 'power isn't everything', but when the PS5 is FINALLY announced properly, it will be met with hostility when the XSX is significantly more powerful, and the only saving grace it will have is the hopes that they can out-price the XSX by £100 or more.

I'm not the kind of person to be swayed by the razzle dazzle of new information, but it makes Sony's 'less is more' strategy look outright amateur. The more time that goes by, the less inclined I am to want to drop top dollar for a console at launch, when the manufacturer doesn't even want to sell me the damn thing.
There seems to be a lot of mention there about the design of it to control temperature. To me, it sounds like it would run very hot if airflow isn't maintained. I wonder what would happen if the 'whisper-quiet fan' died and you weren't aware because you didn't notice it had stopped.

On the other hand, everything I've heard about it sounds evolutionary instead of revolutionary, which is nice for those of us currently on the Xbox platform (improved performance and graphics if we choose to upgrade, without losing access to our existing library of games).
Edited by: "IanC7" 16th Mar
I'm looking forward to these new consoles. The visual tech and scope of games is going to be a nice leap! That CPU upgrade is going to be epic!
Khadgar16/03/2020 15:43

I’ll buy it at some point, but Xbox X is enough for what I need. Sick of b …I’ll buy it at some point, but Xbox X is enough for what I need. Sick of buying day one and the price start to dropping after a few months. Literally no incentive to be an early adopter.

I am hoping for a nice trade in deal.
Phwoar **** forgot to turn on incognito mode!
DevilsNeverCry16/03/2020 15:45

I'm a PS guy through and through, but hats off to MS, they're handling the …I'm a PS guy through and through, but hats off to MS, they're handling the build up to the XSX masterfully. Not to mention it looks like an absolute powerhouse. I know that 'power isn't everything', but when the PS5 is FINALLY announced properly, it will be met with hostility when the XSX is significantly more powerful, and the only saving grace it will have is the hopes that they can out-price the XSX by £100 or more. I'm not the kind of person to be swayed by the razzle dazzle of new information, but it makes Sony's 'less is more' strategy look outright amateur. The more time that goes by, the less inclined I am to want to drop top dollar for a console at launch, when the manufacturer doesn't even want to sell me the damn thing.

The release of the PS5 is still atleast 8 months away, Sony have plenty of time to reveal more details about it.
Edited by: "Gormond" 16th Mar
I wont be buying if the games are lootbox, monitized beta **** like the last few years
Juan.Kuzov16/03/2020 15:53

I wont be buying if the games are lootbox, monitized beta **** like the …I wont be buying if the games are lootbox, monitized beta **** like the last few years

Wtf?!?
Not bad.
They should have made the next gen consoles with real powerful hardware instead of these slight upgrades,I don’t think these hardwares will impress.I don’t think people really care if the price is £600-£800 maybe even more.
people are used to pay £800-£1000 for phones and they keep phones 2 years, consoles lifespan is 8-10 years.
so why not make proper powerful consoles.the average age of a gamer is much higher than 20 years ago.
and those who can’t afford it can still buy a Switch and play watered down versions.
Edited by: "koskesh" 16th Mar
Now we know what's coming, tell us when and when we can order
"Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever"

Our being the key word, PS5 outdoing it perhaps?

They should have made the next gen consoles with real powerful hardware …They should have made the next gen consoles with real powerful hardware instead of these slight upgrades,I don’t think these hardwares will impress.I don’t think people really care if the price is £600-£800 maybe even more.people are used to pay £800-£1000 for phones and they keep phones 2 years, consoles lifespan is 8-10 years.so why not make proper powerful consoles.the average age of a gamer is much higher than 20 years ago.and those who can’t afford it can still buy a Switch and play watered down versions.

What's the non watered down version of zelda?

Wtf are you on about have you even read and compared the specs! The switch is more expensive than both Xbox and PS4 now! I’ve never paid £600 for a phone and what do you mean people won’t care if they cost £600-£800?!? I think they will! Are you on crack?!?
Edited by: "DigitalKnight" 16th Mar
I'm just hoping all that power doesn't come at the cost of noise. As a 'casual' Xbox gamer, I'm shocked at how noisy the PS4 is and how people can tolerate it
Just a couple of quick questions - Any games announced for day one of release and any mention of a particular price of console?
Ferrit16/03/2020 15:58

"Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever"Our being the key word, …"Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever"Our being the key word, PS5 outdoing it perhaps?

It was a fatal error with this generation and it would be foolish if they repeated the same mistake
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants