Microsoft word for student

Posted 6th Apr
Daughter back from Uni got to finish a 10,000 word disitation bought word for a year runs out next week ,only got 1,000 words to do , does the free word for students actually work for anyone ? She says it's no good , can't afford to pay £. 70 for 1,000 words , can't believe they even have to carry on doing theirwork with all this mayhem ( corona virus going on )
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

41 Comments
She should be getting Office 365 through the uni. Else Libre Office.
How do I do that
What is Else liber office
Libre
Usually getting in touch with the IT department at University might be the best option to get a license.

Otherwise, a quick and easy solution is to use Google Docs and do everything online - free and saved constantly as long as you have an internet connection. Else using Libre Office if you’d prefer that.

EDIT: or this option just posted thanks to @dragonxpress

hotukdeals.com/discussions/office-365-3436164
Edited by: "blimpo" 6th Apr
Maybe do what I did...go on ebay and get a office 2019 key, there's instructions about downloading...
ebay.co.uk/itm…649
If I log into my uni account there’s options there to download it.

I suggest she has a look and contacts the IT or student services if she can’t find it herself but I think all unis have it free.
Or try this

microsoft.com/en-…ice

I’m sure she can sort it out if she does a bit of research.
Found a deal on HUKD for office 365 free for students
I’m not sure if it works but I hope you’ll find some use in it
Your daughter sounds like mine when she goes to uni she wants a MacBook because everyone has one. Yeah right. The student version of 365 is the same as all of the other versions of word and it’s free
If her Uni uses Office 365 for email, then she almost certainly has Office included - but not guaranteed.

If they use something else, like Google for e-mail then likely she won't. The IT department web site will almost certainly explain. And she could always just try to log in to Word with her university account?
Microsoft's document formats are the industry standard so everything will open them. Unless she needs the extra features of Word then she can just continue writing it with whatever word processor application came free with the device, you probably don't even need to download and sign up for something else.

You don't say what her computer is but I believe Office 365 is available on Windows and Mac OS so that would be Wordpad and Pages respectively.
You can buy the full Microsoft office 2019 suite, genuine download, no dodgy workarounds for £7.99 here.

I've got it. Absolutely no issue at all and it is Microsoft Office 2019.

Can also pay via PayPal so full buyer protection.
deleted1279550
Students can get it for free
Thanks for all your helpful answers, will try and get it through her Uni first and then use the other answers . As for your answer Buckyball , the idea of Uni is to have lessons that you pay for to produce your work , as we are in a time of crisis there are no lessons !!!!! So how do they continue to work, shame you don't understand that maybe you didn't go to Uni
Yes sadly we fell for that line about the macbook at uni line ! So she has a macbook so will see if she can work off wordpad , thanks again
elljam07/04/2020 09:47

Thanks for all your helpful answers, will try and get it through her Uni …Thanks for all your helpful answers, will try and get it through her Uni first and then use the other answers . As for your answer Buckyball , the idea of Uni is to have lessons that you pay for to produce your work , as we are in a time of crisis there are no lessons !!!!! So how do they continue to work, shame you don't understand that maybe you didn't go to Uni

That’s a bit harsh. The dissertation is mainly independent work and I guess she has nearly finished it so she has done ok without going in to university

Thanks for all your helpful answers, will try and get it through her Uni …Thanks for all your helpful answers, will try and get it through her Uni first and then use the other answers . As for your answer Buckyball , the idea of Uni is to have lessons that you pay for to produce your work , as we are in a time of crisis there are no lessons !!!!! So how do they continue to work, shame you don't understand that maybe you didn't go to Uni

I guess as a university lecturer I know things quite well. Moreover I expect that all my students keep going with all their assignments esp. when the don't have to spend time in the classroom for face to face teaching. As said, if your daughter can't write 1000 words (4 pages double spaced) in a week, then studying might not be the right thing for her.
Maybe you should be helping your students at this challenging time ,which is what you are paid to do !!some may be recovering from Corona Virus (which you seem to be taking seriously ) or internet issues (sky internet ) which is the case here . Instead you are spending your time on here making sarcastic comments to people who are asking for advice . Goodbye
If you were a lecturer surely you would want to help not hinder !!!What a joke
Libre Office, it's free and has all the functionality as MS office without any of the cost!
elljam07/04/2020 11:04

If you were a lecturer surely you would want to help not hinder !!!What a …If you were a lecturer surely you would want to help not hinder !!!What a joke

You already got any information here.
notalwaysright1907/04/2020 00:39

You can buy the full Microsoft office 2019 suite, genuine download, no …You can buy the full Microsoft office 2019 suite, genuine download, no dodgy workarounds for £7.99 here. I've got it. Absolutely no issue at all and it is Microsoft Office 2019. Can also pay via PayPal so full buyer protection.

zmztrading.co.uk/pro…tb/

How abt this
elljam07/04/2020 12:03

Comment deleted

I personally don't care if your daugther get this done but can give you the pathetic advice that just writing 10,000 words is not good enough. Anyway, good luck.

Not everyone in the UK pays directly for classes - for example Scottish students have their tuition fees paid if they go to Scottish universities.

It's also not true that all universities have cancelled all teaching. Some are being done through online systems, including exams which are happening from about now. I know of some students who still have coursework to turn in, and those who have had online lectures published to allow them to complete their lecturing. So it's a bit unfair to say that teaching is not happening.

(That's without mentioning the amount of medical students who are either graduating early, or continuing to work in hospitals as part of the frontline NHS teams).
Alg , didn't say none of the students were being taught ,was commenting on my daughters uni course . And as for you Bucky ball the Uni lecturer who doesn't care about students haha she only has to do 10,000 words on this disitation ( do you know what that means mate ) haha
dave.richardsonskV07/04/2020 12:34

https://zmztrading.co.uk/product/office-365-5-devices-and-1-tb/How abt this

100% not legitimate. Might as well by a key off the bay.

Plenty of cheap or free genuine options as people have mentioned.

Has she tried logging on to office.com with her Uni email? If they've SSO setup and run Office365 then you'll be presented with both online and downloadable versions.
Edited by: "adam.mt" 8th Apr
elljam07/04/2020 22:47

Alg , didn't say none of the students were being taught ,was commenting on …Alg , didn't say none of the students were being taught ,was commenting on my daughters uni course . And as for you Bucky ball the Uni lecturer who doesn't care about students haha she only has to do 10,000 words on this disitation ( do you know what that means mate ) haha

I think that people are just trying to say that:

1) you have the information required.

2) she really should be helping herself and looking up this information, not letting her mum/dad find out this basic information. She’s a 3rd year student.

3) if she’s 1,000 words from finishing her dissertation then she’s pretty much completed her studies anyway so of course she should carry on and finish it without prolonging things due to corona. Tutors are still available via emails like before and, for her, very little has changed study-wise. She can apply for extensions etc if things are getting too much, as tutors and student services do realise the situation people are facing isn’t easy.

You seem like you’re trying your best, but you are incredibly defensive and verging on aggressive, as well as being rude. However, now you have the info hopefully she can get her studies finished and I wish her all the best.
philajones06/04/2020 22:46

Maybe do what I did...go on ebay and get a office 2019 key, there's …Maybe do what I did...go on ebay and get a office 2019 key, there's instructions about downloading...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Office-Professional-Plus-2019-Licence-Key-Product-Fast-Delivery/233513874344?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I know people like to save money but given there are plenty of legitimate solutions please don't advocate others steal. Microsoft is a pretty generous company especially for educational users.
Edited by: "adam.mt" 8th Apr
Sickly sweet came on here for help not opinions !!! Unfortunately that seems impossible
There are at least six solutions posted on this thread that I can see:

1) LibreOffice
2) Contacting the university's help desk to see if the university has a 365 license that covers installation on student's own computers
3) Buying a hooky version of Office365
4) Office Online
5) Google Docs
6) Contacting the university to ask about personal extenuating circumstances

With regards #6, I'm currently working full time and studying for an MSc on a part-time basis. Having handed in my most recent assignment at the end of March, the uni has since announced a series of measures to help people, including a relaxation of extension request criteria, and in some cases (dissertations aside) ensuring that average marks are used so that students are not disadvantaged. Your starter for ten should be your daughter contacting the university to see what measures they are taking, as a panel comprised of HotUKDeals users cannot possibly answer anything specific to her case, but has at least given you several helpful pointers.
Edited by: "Bossworld" 8th Apr
elljam08/04/2020 10:03

Sickly sweet came on here for help not opinions !!! Unfortunately that …Sickly sweet came on here for help not opinions !!! Unfortunately that seems impossible

Unfortunately you started this by giving your opinion that "can't believe they even have to carry on doing theirwork with all this mayhem ( corona virus going on )"

For some reason I can't see what Buckyball wrote originally, but as another university lecturer, I'm seeing all of my students putting their all into their work, and my uni's students actively went against the NUS line of abandoning everything and going on average grades so far because they want to submit their dissertations and projects that they've been working all year on.

I don't normally come into non-deal threads, but saw this on the side and I assume like Bucky, thought I could help. Glad to see that you got the help you were looking for and I wish your daughter the best.

Just in case it got lost. microsoft.com/en-…ice
If their university email is provided by microsoft, they can log into the email and download office.
elljam08/04/2020 10:42

Comment deleted

I'm glad your mum is in good spirits.
Thank you Bossworld for your very helpful answer ,wish you all the best for your Msc.
Another suggestion if she has a MacBook is to use Apple Pages, its free from Apple and works just as well as Word.
jon81uk08/04/2020 10:45

If their university email is provided by microsoft, they can log into the …If their university email is provided by microsoft, they can log into the email and download office.

That's not guaranteed - individual institutions have different licence agreements. They probably do, but it depends. I know one University that allows 15 installs of Office - 5 desktop, 5 phone, and 5 tablet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions