Microwave bulb

16
Posted 8th Feb
Is it possible to change the light bulb in a microwave, safely? I can’t see a panel that looks like it can or should be opened inside the unit. The bulb is not working so can’t see food inside when it’s being used. Any ideas please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
SaltyExpert08/02/2020 20:02

Unplug device, take off the panel, extract lamp, buy new lamp, replace …Unplug device, take off the panel, extract lamp, buy new lamp, replace lamp, replace panel, plug device back in, enjoy watching food being nuked in light.Nothing dangerous as long as you isolate the supply.



I hope you don't mind me pointing this out but your statement is a wee bit misleading and potentially harmful. You say "nothing dangerous as long as you isolate the supply." Even an unplugged microwave oven has a huge capacitor that stores a potentially fatal charge if you 'poked' the wrong bit!

Not that I would direct a novice to do this but if you were going to do anything inside of one, you should really discharge the capacitor safely first. I don't personally, but then I know enough not to poke around components I shouldn't.

Stay safe, people. All the best, Phsy.
16 Comments
If your can tell us make and model of your microwave that would be extremely helpful.
Unplug device, take off the panel, extract lamp, buy new lamp, replace lamp, replace panel, plug device back in, enjoy watching food being nuked in light.

Nothing dangerous as long as you isolate the supply.
There’s usually a panel inside the microwave that’s like reflective card. It usually just slots in and doesn’t need tools to remove it. Remove that panel and that’ll give you access to the bulb
sanyo microwave em-g2567s uk2
wikihow.com/Rep…ulb


likely as described already.


leave the inverter alone & all will be fine (the boxy radioactive bit with ceramics)
Diggsy08/02/2020 20:05

There’s usually a panel inside the microwave that’s like reflective card. I …There’s usually a panel inside the microwave that’s like reflective card. It usually just slots in and doesn’t need tools to remove it. Remove that panel and that’ll give you access to the bulb


1st thing to try, ..beyond that it is a top off job.
Make damn sure you know what all the different bits are if you remove the back panel. They aren't 100% safe after disconnecting the supply.
wigantoday.net/new…584
SaltyExpert08/02/2020 20:02

Unplug device, take off the panel, extract lamp, buy new lamp, replace …Unplug device, take off the panel, extract lamp, buy new lamp, replace lamp, replace panel, plug device back in, enjoy watching food being nuked in light.Nothing dangerous as long as you isolate the supply.



I hope you don't mind me pointing this out but your statement is a wee bit misleading and potentially harmful. You say "nothing dangerous as long as you isolate the supply." Even an unplugged microwave oven has a huge capacitor that stores a potentially fatal charge if you 'poked' the wrong bit!

Not that I would direct a novice to do this but if you were going to do anything inside of one, you should really discharge the capacitor safely first. I don't personally, but then I know enough not to poke around components I shouldn't.

Stay safe, people. All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix08/02/2020 21:12

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out but your statement is a wee bit …I hope you don't mind me pointing this out but your statement is a wee bit misleading and potentially harmful. You say "nothing dangerous as long as you isolate the supply." Even an unplugged microwave oven has a huge capacitor that stores a potentially fatal charge if you 'poked' the wrong bit!Not that I would direct a novice to do this but if you were going to do anything inside of one, you should really discharge the capacitor safely first. I don't personally, but then I know enough not to poke around components I shouldn't.Stay safe, people. All the best, Phsy.


No problem and i fully agree. Had some cracking belts from capacitors and not isolating supplies correctly myself.
Just kinda assumed the panel OP mentioned was the lamp cover, maybe wrongly.

Definitely stay safe people.
SaltyExpert08/02/2020 21:15

No problem and i fully agree. Had some cracking belts from capacitors and …No problem and i fully agree. Had some cracking belts from capacitors and not isolating supplies correctly myself.Just kinda assumed the panel OP mentioned was the lamp cover, maybe wrongly.Definitely stay safe people.



Some now require the outer cover to be removed to get to the bulb holder. I think white-goods manufacturers are getting like car ones. Make simple things harder/impossible for customers to do so they take it somewhere else or buy new.

I also find myself doing "de-beeping" now (uncouple the piezo) as some MW ovens have such loud ones! I did my own as it beeped 5 times when cooking finished. Now - lovely silence.
Diggsy08/02/2020 20:05

There’s usually a panel inside the microwave that’s like reflective card. I …There’s usually a panel inside the microwave that’s like reflective card. It usually just slots in and doesn’t need tools to remove it. Remove that panel and that’ll give you access to the bulb



Wrong do not remove this as it could snap as its only thin. This is where the microwaves come from.

The bulb is accessed from removing the cover.
markvirgo08/02/2020 21:36

Wrong do not remove this as it could snap as its only thin. This is where …Wrong do not remove this as it could snap as its only thin. This is where the microwaves come from.The bulb is accessed from removing the cover.


It’s where the access to mine was on a previous microwave and my current one.
Diggsy08/02/2020 20:05

There’s usually a panel inside the microwave that’s like reflective card. I …There’s usually a panel inside the microwave that’s like reflective card. It usually just slots in and doesn’t need tools to remove it. Remove that panel and that’ll give you access to the bulb


It doesn't on my morphy richards
steve.t08/02/2020 22:49

It doesn't on my morphy richards


Suppose they’re all different. Some clearly don’t want you repairing them, likely because it’ll mean you either buy another, or pay for any repairs.
I would suggest leaving the microwave unplugged overnight for capacitors to discharge if you need to open the case, wrap tape around the plug pins when you unplug it so it can't be plugged in by anyone else.

I would still make sure the caps are fully discharged when you open the case.

I think it is now normal practice for manufacturers to install a resistor to slowly discharge large caps in most recent appliances for safety of repairmen, but you shouldn't rely on it having one or working, there might be a dry joint, cracked PCB track, or part omitted.
Edited by: "melted" 9th Feb
When my bulb goes, I just buy a new microwave....OK, that's twice in 2 years
Post a comment
Avatar
@
    Text

    Discussions

    Top Merchants