Expired

MICROWAVE STOPPED WORKING

Found 9th Feb 2014
Hi everyone, help needed. was trying to reheat milk in my RUSSEL HOBBS Microwave (Bought used one from gumtree 3 months ago), suddenly smoke came out followed by a little explosion. Microwave was unplugged not sure what happend & I am hesitating to switch it back on also there are no black marks or signs of any fire etc in the interior. A month before its bulb was fused which was not replaced bt I dont think this could be the reason. My question: IS IT WORTH TO REPAIR IT OR SHALL I GET THE NEW ONE Also any good deal at the moment???
EDIT: The top of interior have black spots like its been burnt bt it was there the day I bought it & was working...or it might have been just fixed before putting on sale....
Community Updates
AskMicrowave
22 Comments
if it was me....I would get a new one! If it was worth a lot of money I may consider getting it repaired. But, to be honest, it sounds pretty terminal.
I wouldn't risk it. It's second hand so you don't really know the history of it. Microwaves can be picked up brand new from supermarkets and places like Argos dirt cheap. Treat yourself to a new one and at least you won't risk fusing the house.
Get a quick quote from a reputable repair man. From the bang you describe it sounds like a capacitor blew. But it could be the magnetron that went in the worst case scenario.
Maybe get one from Very or ISME using a £30 off code if you want to set up an account.
redhot999

Maybe get one from Very or ISME using a £30 off code if you want to set … Maybe get one from Very or ISME using a £30 off code if you want to set up an account.

dont know much about it could u plz explain!
qashjee

dont know much about it could u plz explain!

New to this then. Well if you can set up an account with Very spend £60 or over you can use a code to get £30 off. See half way down this link hotukdeals.com/vou….uk
I got one from them a few months ago ISME works the same but codes not allowed on here as banned for self promotion. Google to get one. Easy peasy.
Edited by: "redhot999" 9th Feb 2014
this sounds great, I may also be able to get 10% from my employer. Wt if the item becomes faulty, do I have to post it back or do they have any shop?
qashjee

this sounds great, I may also be able to get 10% from my employer. Wt if … this sounds great, I may also be able to get 10% from my employer. Wt if the item becomes faulty, do I have to post it back or do they have any shop?

Not sure about the 10% thing. You won't get both but you can get quidco or tcb CashBack too. If you have to send back they pay for returns by a number of different methods. No shop.
Next do one which is about £70, comes in a variety of colours, came highly rated by which magazine.
I too experienced a sudden death of my microwave after nearly 6 years of use. There was no explosion and the microwave works but no heating - somebody mentioned that this can be the magentron dead so got one from Homebase in the post-Christmas sale for £45.
My microwave started smoking and sparking a few weeks ago, I was ready to bi it, but had a quick check and found it was what's called a wave guide cover had food spilt on it and that's what was causing the sparking.
It's like a small piece of cardboard inside near the light.
£5 on ebay and its sorted
souljacker

My microwave started smoking and sparking a few weeks ago, I was ready to … My microwave started smoking and sparking a few weeks ago, I was ready to bi it, but had a quick check and found it was what's called a wave guide cover had food spilt on it and that's what was causing the sparking.It's like a small piece of cardboard inside near the light.£5 on ebay and its sorted

was there any explosion?
Also has anyone got any number to get a quick quote before dumping my microwave, I really loved it :(.
qashjee

Also has anyone got any number to get a quick quote before dumping my … Also has anyone got any number to get a quick quote before dumping my microwave, I really loved it :(.

I noticed that you are in London. This may help.

yell.com/s/m…tml
Edited by: "RossD89" 10th Feb 2014
What model Russell Hobbs do you have?
Edited by: "redhot999" 10th Feb 2014
RossD89

I noticed that you are in London. This may … I noticed that you are in London. This may help.http://www.yell.com/s/microwave+ovens+repairs+and+parts-london.html

thx
redhot999

What model Russell Hobbs do you have?

Its russell hobbs rhm2018 - microwave oven with grill
qashjee

Its russell hobbs rhm2018 - microwave oven with grill

So it's about £65 new then pricetag.co.uk/cat…AFw . If it were me I'd just get a new one and not bother fixing very.co.uk/e/q…399 even if it could be fixed.

redhot999

So it's about £65 new then … So it's about £65 new then http://www.pricetag.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/424/s/russell-hobbs-20-litre-black-digital-microwave-with-grill/?gclid=CLuhkrP4wbwCFSoOwwodzH4AFw . If it were me I'd just get a new one and not bother fixing http://www.very.co.uk/e/q/microwave-and-grill.end?_requestid=253399 even if it could be fixed.

yeh you are right. I m going to get one from VERY as per you said. So thankyou very very much every one for quick help, support & guidance.
qashjee

yeh you are right. I m going to get one from VERY as per you said. So … yeh you are right. I m going to get one from VERY as per you said. So thankyou very very much every one for quick help, support & guidance.

qashjee

yeh you are right. I m going to get one from VERY as per you said. So … yeh you are right. I m going to get one from VERY as per you said. So thankyou very very much every one for quick help, support & guidance.

Don't forget 10% CashBack for Very new customers through TCB and from experience it is based on full price not price minus voucher.

Not sure if you got sorted yet, £39.99 with a 3 year guarantee at Aldi here.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants