Middle lane hogger - dangerous driving caught on my dashcam

Found 22nd Dec 2015
Hello everyone,

A few days ago on my way to work I captured an incident on my dashcam. It was around 4:30am and on the M1 northbound. I was in the inside lane and in the distance I could see a 7 seater cabbie in the middle lane. It's one of my pet hates middle lane hogging, so on this occasion I quickly flashed my lights to ask him to move inside so I could overtake him in the middle lane. He quickly applied his brakes then started to indicate and move in, and I moved to the middle lane. However, as he moved into the left-hand lane and I got closer, he moved back out in front of me still indicating left. I had to quickly apply the brakes and move over to the outside lane to overtake him. I've put the footage on my phone and shown a few people at work, and its clearly a deliberate act of dangerous driving and attempted sabotage. He also gave me the finger as I went past him!

Before anyone asks I haven't uploaded the footage online, as firstly I wouldn't know which one to use but also just wondering what anyone else would do in this situation. Normally I would let it go but I'm so angry about his actions I feel like I should do something about it, or shame him online. Do people that lane hog not realise the safety implications to other drivers?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

JP
Community Updates
AskDash Cam
54 Comments
Give his can firm a call let them know what a great driver they have got.
Original Poster
sexyshelk135

Give his can firm a call let them know what a great driver they have got.

It was a plain black car. The reason I knew it was a cab driver is because he had the licence sticker in the rear window and next to his number plate is the cab licence plate. I can make out the registration in the footage but unfortunately not the company name.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JP
Edited by: "jp297" 22nd Dec 2015
why didnt you just continue in the lane you were in?? He's hardly gonna be the kind of driver who either cares or realises what your doing-or it may have been a wake up call to him.
rate-driver.co.uk/ <

and youtube - don't bother with facebook unless you like hate or your privacy settings are inadequate

And if you can identify the licensing authority (council) send them a link/copy
Edited by: "philphil61" 22nd Dec 2015
Upload it to YouTube and email a link to the licence issuing local council.

Middle lane drivers do my head in. Last month on m1 I over took a car that was driving in the middle land and I pulled back into the first lane. For the next 5 minutes I did not see a car in front of me and he still sat in the middle lane with a stream of cars having to overtake it.

This country does not need billions spending on widening motorways it just needs better education and higher fines for drivers miss using the roads.

Edited by: "Wadda" 22nd Dec 2015
Granted he was a tool, but you got what you deserved by flashing him in the first place.
Ignore it and move on. Dash cams are the worst thing ever invented just give power to whingers. If someone cuts me up or does somethin stupid i get a bit angry but forget about it quickly. Lifes too short.
Original Poster
The amount of middle lane hoggers in the morning on the motorway is ridiculous! If I were to undertake everyone I run the risk of getting caught with potential points on my licence.

Hopefully a copper would fine the hogger but if he's having a bad day...

Regards,

JP
jp297

The amount of middle lane hoggers in the morning on the motorway is … The amount of middle lane hoggers in the morning on the motorway is ridiculous! If I were to undertake everyone I run the risk of getting caught with potential points on my licence.Hopefully a copper would fine the hogger but if he's having a bad day...Regards,JP

If it's the middle lane, why are you not going to the right lane - instead of any flashing? I also greatly dislike being flashed whilst driving at 70MPH. It is used by some to intimidate when you can see them only a car widths behind your bumper - so dangerous.

Usually there's traffic on the left lane in the middle of the morning - certainly on the M25 - so 'hogging' the middle lane for several miles of very congested motorway isn't bad. Equally if the motorway is clear at 4AM in the morning and there are 3 lanes, no issue to go to the right lane.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 22nd Dec 2015
Original Poster
philphil61

http://rate-driver.co.uk/

Thank you I didn't know about that website. I very rarely post things on Facebook so I wouldn't post it here.

Regards,

JP
Upload it and we will hunt him down vigilante style and stone him in the street
Original Poster
pinkleponkle

Granted he was a tool, but you got what you deserved by flashing him in … Granted he was a tool, but you got what you deserved by flashing him in the first place.

Thank you
Original Poster
Firefly1

If it's the middle lane, why are you not going to the right lane - … If it's the middle lane, why are you not going to the right lane - instead of any flashing? I also greatly dislike being flashed whilst driving at 70MPH. It is used by some to intimidate when you can see them only a car widths behind your bumper - so dangerous.Usually there's traffic on the left lane in the middle of the morning - certainly on the M25 - so 'hogging' the middle lane for several miles of very congested motorway isn't bad. Equally if the motorway is clear at 4AM in the morning and there are 3 lanes, no issue to go to the right lane.

I always keep left unless overtaking. I'd rather have to move across one lane to overtake then have to move across the whole motorway then back again because of the reduced risk. I rarely flash or use my horn, but on this occasion there was not a single soul ahead of him so there is no need to be middle lane hogging.

Thanks for your time in replying.

Regards,

JP
Whilst I don't condone middle lane hogging or what he did afterwards quite a few things going on here. Firstly as pinkleponkle pointed out flashing your lights to a driver like this (regardless if you feel he shouldn't be where he is) is considered as aggressive driving. Second when he did start to move in but then drifted back in from your comment of "I had to quickly apply the brakes and move over to the outside lane to overtake him" this would indicate again aggressive driving no need to apply brakes quickly if you waited until the driver had completed the action before accelerating to pass. Thirdly he actually was not breaking any law being in the middle lane though really it is daft and we should have something.
Lastly why did you just not stay in the lane you where in to start with with it was empty ahead. It is not undertaking as you never moved lanes.

One big thing I always remind friends "you never know what is going through the persons head" as an example I recently lost my partner and then her mother within 3 weeks both times I cannot remember my drive home yes I should maybe have not been driving but I'm sure many have been in a similar position.
In other words like 123batman says we are all grownups shrug it off and life is too short.

Sorry just to add think back to everything that happened, if you stayed in own lane, nothing. By your own actions and another irate person an accident almost happened which could have cost an awful lot more.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 22nd Dec 2015
benjammin316

Upload it and we will hunt him down vigilante style and stone him in the … Upload it and we will hunt him down vigilante style and stone him in the street

Lol
You are either a stupid teenager, or you are acting like one.
It seems the country is being taken over with fools who have bought a dashcam and are determined to make something out of the tedious footage they record.
Either cause a massive disaster, or bore off.
next time overtake properly and get on with your life, alive
every other driver is more idiotic than you some are also angry & dangerous
if you want to make a complaint tell the local police they can choose to advise or prosecute your road friend
Original Poster
cecilmcroberts

Whilst I don't condone middle lane hogging or what he did afterwards … Whilst I don't condone middle lane hogging or what he did afterwards quite a few things going on here. Firstly as pinkleponkle pointed out flashing your lights to a driver like this (regardless if you feel he shouldn't be where he is) is considered as aggressive driving. Second when he did start to move in but then drifted back in from your comment of "I had to quickly apply the brakes and move over to the outside lane to overtake him" this would indicate again aggressive driving no need to apply brakes quickly if you waited until the driver had completed the action before accelerating to pass. Thirdly he actually was not breaking any law being in the middle lane though really it is daft and we should have something.Lastly why did you just not stay in the lane you where in to start with with it was empty ahead. It is not undertaking as you never moved lanes. One big thing I always remind friends "you never know what is going through the persons head" as an example I recently lost my partner and then her mother within 3 weeks both times I cannot remember my drive home yes I should maybe have not been driving but I'm sure many have been in a similar position. In other words like 123batman says we are all grownups shrug it off and life is too short. Sorry just to add think back to everything that happened, if you stayed in own lane, nothing. By your own actions and another irate person an accident almost happened which could have cost an awful lot more.

Hello,

Firstly, I’m very sorry for your loss and my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Just looking at the video again the driver had completely moved over to the inside lane before he moved back out again still indicating left. I eventually moved over to the outside lane after another car had passed and it was safe to do so.

I always stay in the inside lane unless overtaking, and I guess the undertaking part would start a new debate. I would assume in this situation that had I remained in the inside lane and I passed him, this would constitute as undertaking.

However, in light of your comments I have to change my view on this and accept responsibility. In hindsight had I not flashed him and just moved over than none of this would have happened. I suppose we all have things that annoy us and for me middle lane hogging is one of those things, but I guess I just have to accept that people will always do it and I just have to get on with it.

No need to say sorry, I’ve come to these forums for advice and I’m open to debate. Sometimes I’m not always correct and others make me see a different side of things which I am very grateful for, particularly as you have shown me in this instance.

I really appreciate your time and comments and next time I would think twice about flashing my lights again!

Kind regards,

JP

Edited by: "jp297" 22nd Dec 2015
Rich069

why didnt you just continue in the lane you were in?? He's hardly gonna … why didnt you just continue in the lane you were in?? He's hardly gonna be the kind of driver who either cares or realises what your doing-or it may have been a wake up call to him.

Because its a driving offence to undertake.
jp297

Hello,Firstly, I’m very sorry for your loss and my deepest condolences to … Hello,Firstly, I’m very sorry for your loss and my deepest condolences to you and your family.Just looking at the video again the driver had completely moved over to the inside lane before he moved back out again still indicating left. I eventually moved over to the outside lane after another car had passed and it was safe to do so.I always stay in the inside lane unless overtaking, and I guess the undertaking part would start a new debate. I would assume in this situation that had I remained in the inside lane and I passed him, this would constitute as undertaking.However, in light of your comments I have to change my view on this and accept responsibility. In hindsight had I not flashed him and just moved over than none of this would have happened. I suppose we all have things that annoy us and for me middle lane hogging is one of those things, but I guess I just have to accept that people will always do it and I just have to get on with it.No need to say sorry, I’ve come to these forums for advice and I’m open to debate. Sometimes I’m not always correct and others make me see a different side of things which I am very grateful for, particularly as you have shown me in this instance.I really appreciate your time and comments and next time I would think twice about flashing my lights again!Kind regards,JP

Thanks for your kind words.
Yeah the undertaking starts a whole new debate but from friends in traffic branch unless you changed lanes before and then after they wouldn't blink an eye if you where not speeding and especially with no lane change. But actually is no undertaking "law" only advice in the Highway Code but the law the police take you under is careless driving or more seriously dangerous driving.
cecilmcroberts

Whilst I don't condone middle lane hogging or what he did afterwards … Whilst I don't condone middle lane hogging or what he did afterwards quite a few things going on here. Firstly as pinkleponkle pointed out flashing your lights to a driver like this (regardless if you feel he shouldn't be where he is) is considered as aggressive driving. Second when he did start to move in but then drifted back in from your comment of "I had to quickly apply the brakes and move over to the outside lane to overtake him" this would indicate again aggressive driving no need to apply brakes quickly if you waited until the driver had completed the action before accelerating to pass. Thirdly he actually was not breaking any law being in the middle lane though really it is daft and we should have something.Lastly why did you just not stay in the lane you where in to start with with it was empty ahead. It is not undertaking as you never moved lanes. One big thing I always remind friends "you never know what is going through the persons head" as an example I recently lost my partner and then her mother within 3 weeks both times I cannot remember my drive home yes I should maybe have not been driving but I'm sure many have been in a similar position. In other words like 123batman says we are all grownups shrug it off and life is too short. Sorry just to add think back to everything that happened, if you stayed in own lane, nothing. By your own actions and another irate person an accident almost happened which could have cost an awful lot more.

Middle lane hogging is against the law though. You can get points and spot fines for driving in an anti social manner.
MIDURIX

Middle lane hogging is against the law though. You can get points and … Middle lane hogging is against the law though. You can get points and spot fines for driving in an anti social manner.

True. This has been applied. Its driving without due care and attention. Also no need for it. I just go ahead in the lane im in, dont provoke by flashing em as you dont know its full of psycho blokes that will run you down or drive you off the road.
By flashing the taxi you have told them what you want them to do. In my experience it's best not to dictate what other road users do. Just let them get on with there craziness and I'll do my best to not hit them.
MIDURIX

Middle lane hogging is against the law though. You can get points and … Middle lane hogging is against the law though. You can get points and spot fines for driving in an anti social manner.

My apologises I stand corrected. Never knew about the new "Anti-Social" driving laws, see this even includes the likes of soaking people driving through puddles etc. Also see this is where they have put undertaking now as a law rather than advice and having under circumstances to use another law to prosecute under. About time this was brought in. Looking though it doesn't seem that they passed this though N.Ireland law yet (or my excuse for not knowing anyway!) our lot can't get on never mind actually passing any laws!

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 22nd Dec 2015
Middle lane hogging is a bane on our society. Do not take responsibility jp297, you were entitled to flash your lights as a courteous reminder to the fool hogging the lane.( condolences to the fella that suffered recent bereavements) but if someone flashed you whilst you were driving absent mindedly would you not be glad of the reminder? Personally I wouldn't have flashed I would have overtaken him then slowed down to a lesser speed than he wanted, forcing him to change lanes to overtake as he had done to you. This fool was driving in a very selfish manner and proved that with the middle finger he showed. For every action there is a reaction. His action of driving in the middle lane caused you to flash your lights to remind him of his wrongdoing. If a burglar broke into my house and I split his skull with one blow of the closest implement to hand would it be my fault for hitting him too hard, or his for being in my house? Too much namby pamby " lets not confront anything" going on here.
When I passed my test I was told that only the left hand lane was for driving in, the others are overtaking lanes for when the driving lane is busy. This was an arrogant taxi driver thinking they own the road. On a final note I think you should take the video to the police, If it was indeed a deliberate act then he needs sorting out. They can trace him through his number plate, and find the relevant licensing authority
Just be thankful it wasn't a woman driver!
seriously, people think this takes priority over the police actually doing things that matter?

seems the OP has a dashcam and is trying best to incriminate someone when they are maybe the bad driver...

flashing someone to try and get them to move over....nah..that is not only aggressive, its damn right rude
OP - What you done was dangerous if you are in lane 1 and it was clear, you could have just passed in lane 1 keeping to the speed limit no offence in doing this.

You don't say what speed you or the 7 seater cab was doing, but at 4.30am it seems pointless and silly to do what you did in fact you could have caused a serious accident. You're not there to police your pet hates !

"Hogging" the middle lane is at best an offence of driving without due consideration the OP is just as culpable of the offence of inconsiderate driving. The threshold test for driving without due care and attention in my experience would not apply to "hogging" the middle lane.

Dash cams and 04.30am driving - First World Problems !
MIDURIX

Middle lane "hogging" does not meet the test of using a vehicle in an anti-social manner in any way shape or form.
Format SD card, forget about it. No one injured, no harm done, keep the dash cam for actual accidents that you may need evidence for.
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

I'm not going to upload the video or take it further, I'll just leave it there. As stated earlier I will accept responsibility (although it was kind of garyarms to suggest I don't), so we can settle any debate on this and move on. I got the dash cam after someone hit me whilst parked and didn't leave any details, and the one I have installed has a parking mode which detects knocks whilst the vehicle is unattended.

However it does seem another debate has come out of this in regards to undertaking. I've just read online about a middle lane hogger that got given a £940 fine and 5 points on his licence, but I can't seem to find if it would have be an offence if I did undertake in this situation. If it isn't then from now on I'll just stay in the inside lane.

Thanks everyone again for your comments.

Kind regards,

JP
Tbf i often undertake the middle lane hog normally when they're being overtaken by cars in the outside lane, it doesn't faze them and they still don't move until its time for them to exit the motorway. X)
What i would of done in the Op's position is to run into the back of the taxi when he pulled back into the middle lane.
jp297

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.I'm not going to upload the … Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.I'm not going to upload the video or take it further, I'll just leave it there. As stated earlier I will accept responsibility (although it was kind of garyarms to suggest I don't), so we can settle any debate on this and move on. I got the dash cam after someone hit me whilst parked and didn't leave any details, and the one I have installed has a parking mode which detects knocks whilst the vehicle is unattended.However it does seem another debate has come out of this in regards to undertaking. I've just read online about a middle lane hogger that got given a £940 fine and 5 points on his licence, but I can't seem to find if it would have be an offence if I did undertake in this situation. If it isn't then from now on I'll just stay in the inside lane.Thanks everyone again for your comments.Kind regards,JP

Undertaking is not recommended whether you were in the left lane in the first place or not and is an offence unless you're forced to do so under congestion conditions. There's always a risk that the 'middle lane hogger' potentially realises his/her mistake of being in the middle lane and pull into the left lane while you're completing your undertake.

Hope this helps...
Original Poster
transit

What i would of done in the Op's position is to run into the back of the … What i would of done in the Op's position is to run into the back of the taxi when he pulled back into the middle lane.

Haha... Should have called Claims Direct and got myself £10,000. Although after fees I think I'll be left with £12.40.

Merry Christmas,

JP
Original Poster
devilsadv0cate

Undertaking is not recommended whether you were in the left lane in the … Undertaking is not recommended whether you were in the left lane in the first place or not and is an offence unless you're forced to do so under congestion conditions. There's always a risk that the 'middle lane hogger' potentially realises his/her mistake of being in the middle lane and pull into the left lane while you're completing your undertake.Hope this helps...

Thank you, that thought does cross my mind sometimes particularly as a lot of my drives are first thing in the morning. Maybe they are still half asleep!

Regards,

JP
The ok might have been wrong to flash the cab but the cab driver was by far in the wrong as he was the one who was illegally and then decided to perform an extremely dangerous manoeuvre and endanger his own life and that of the other driver, all because he was a bit annoyed that he got flashed.
These kind of drivers are the most dangerous and are who annoy me the most.
A few weeks ago a car pulled out in front of me from a side road so I tapped my horn (and I mean tapped) and the idiot decided to slam on his brakes and come to a complete stop for about 10 seconds and this was on a busy A road with a line of traffic behind me.
It baffles me what they seek to achieve by doing this, what if I'd gone into the back of him, which very nearly happened?
I usually overtake them stay infront of them for say 30 seconds give long left indicator and move to left lane showing thats where you need to be, but with vans, cabbies, lorries and other commerical vehicles I always try to be more tolerant as God knows how long they working for and even if they are awake or sleeping on wheel.
the ones i hate the most are, who see traffic ahead and doesnt give way to people trying to join in from streets and block their way instead and act blind
cornishscouse

Because its a driving offence to undertake.

​and doing over 70 is to-but, yes, we all do that.

Would have been a lot easier, safer and less confrontational to just keep going doing what you were doing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions