Midge bite prevention?

Posted 11th Apr
Hi, I've a relative who suffers really badly from midge bites when walking the dog at this time of year - these range from being on her head, face, neck, arms, hands, stomach and legs.

Because of the warm temperature, it's difficult for her to cover up without feeling sweaty and uncomfortable...has anyone on here suffered the same and if so, any recommendations on how to not attract them? The itching is driving her mad! Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Google "skin so soft" seems to work pretty well for my daughter who the midge's also seem to love
Avon skin so soft to be precise

I have even better protection; a wife the midges greatly prefer
This.

40381583-ERdhK.jpg
ccnp11/04/2020 14:48

Avon skin so soft to be preciseI have even better protection; a wife the …Avon skin so soft to be preciseI have even better protection; a wife the midges greatly prefer

Yep, ccnp is correct - this is what soldiers use believe it or not...
I didn't think too much of avon sss

This is pretty good but I've not used it enough to really tell - Incognito deet free

This stuff is very good but it is also quite harsh, try a skin test before usin and keep away from some materials - Expedition 100
Edited by: "a666andy" 11th Apr
a666andy11/04/2020 15:37

I didn't think too much of avon sssThis is pretty good but I've not used …I didn't think too much of avon sssThis is pretty good but I've not used it enough to really tell - Incognito deet freeThis stuff is very good but it is also quite harsh, try a skin test before usin and keep away from some materials - Expedition 100

Good advice about skin a666andy! I smothered by arms in smidge and came out with a horrendous rash on my arms and legs a couple of hours later...
Jungle as someone above posted.

It is the only brand that works in our house.

Or you could try anything else that has DEET in it of 50%. DEET is the active ingredient.
Willy_Wonka11/04/2020 15:43

Jungle as someone above posted. It is the only brand that works in our …Jungle as someone above posted. It is the only brand that works in our house. Or you could try anything else that has DEET in it of 50%. DEET is the active ingredient.

The expedition 100 i linked to above is 95% deet i think, which is the maximum allowed from memory, but deet is the stuff that is harsh, has been known to melt artificial materials
a666andy11/04/2020 16:43

The expedition 100 i linked to above is 95% deet i think, which is the …The expedition 100 i linked to above is 95% deet i think, which is the maximum allowed from memory, but deet is the stuff that is harsh, has been known to melt artificial materials

I will say Jungle with 50% DEET worked for our family pretty much 100% through 5 or 6 holidays in areas with high mosquito problems. So maybe by both & start with Jungle if DEET is an issue.
I don't know if you can buy the product here in the UK or maybe it goes by another name but whenever we go to Egypt we buy something called 'OFF' made by Johnson & Johnson it's superb.

Edit I've just found it on Amazon but it's very expensive over here amazon.co.uk/Joh…8-4
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 11th Apr
ccnp11/04/2020 14:48

Avon skin so soft to be preciseI have even better protection; a wife the …Avon skin so soft to be preciseI have even better protection; a wife the midges greatly prefer

I've used this and its good to repel midges and mosquitoes thesun.co.uk/fab…es/
summerof7611/04/2020 16:54

Don't waste you money on this as its

Its worked for us for years. Obviously if you miss a bit of your body then you get bit.
summerof7611/04/2020 16:57

I've used this and its good to repel midges and mosquitoes …I've used this and its good to repel midges and mosquitoes https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/4282934/avon-moisturiser-insect-repellent-royal-marines/

That is an advert. Read the comments under the paid for advert.
They prefer to be called Little People.

Oops, never mind. I misread it
deleted1793489
Haircut_10011/04/2020 14:48

This.[Image]

I agree with this, I get destroyed by biting insects and this works brilliantly. Stinks though and dont get on lips bleurgh. Avon never worked for me.
Stay home. Stay safe.
We use smidge, you can get it easily online from a lot of places gooutdoors.co.uk/158….ds
Avon so soft or smidge.shop around online for smidge though.
WD 40
I thought midges were just a nuisance, don’t think they’ve ever bitten me? Now mosquitoes do bite me, and a horse fly a few years ago was even worse!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions