Groups
    EXPIRED

Midi keyboard to make music on pc, help needed where do i start ?

OK this is it my son wants to make some music on his pc and has asked for a midi keyboard he has been doing work in a recording studio for his work experience so thought i could buy him one but do not know where to start. Do i need software does it come with software etc etc fire away I'm all ears.

14 Comments

YWith programs like Fruityloops and protools you can usea nortmal keyboard i think.

Original Poster

Do you know where i get this stuff

Download...

Original Poster

Anybody else got any ideas I'm 43 and haven't got a clue.

You need to make sure that the midi keyboard you buy had a USB midi connection to start with, not sure if you can get converters but some midi keyboards have connectors other than USB. This USB midi connection means that you can plug in to your PC.

It will depend on the deal that you get with the keyboard as to whether or not you get software bundled in with the keyboard but you will need software (some deals will bundle in the software). Cakewalk Sonar and Ableton are two of the top bits of software that people seem to use. I have both and they seem pretty comprehensive.

Midi keyboards, basic ones, seem to go on fleabay for around £60 and up. Hope this helps.

Don't forget the scales

PS - Solar Flare, I'm also 43

Original Poster

Thanks will look into all these rep given for all the replies much appreciated.

Original Poster

Bellerophon;4545662

PS - Solar Flare, I'm also 43

You old git how do you know so much about this lol.:thumbsup:

Question is, How serious is he about it? You don't want to be buying something that he will then want to upgrade next year. I am currently playing a Yamaha PSR S-900 which has an onboard 16 track sequencer. This also connects to my laptop and has the ability aswell to record vocally through it. A very good piece of kit.

Original Poster

kemo;4546941

Question is, How serious is he about it? You don't want to be buying … Question is, How serious is he about it? You don't want to be buying something that he will then want to upgrade next year. I am currently playing a Yamaha PSR S-900 which has an onboard 16 track sequencer. This also connects to my laptop and has the ability aswell to record vocally through it. A very good piece of kit.

Looks like a nice bit of kit you have there but at £1200 im thinking he should stick to the football

Okay, rough guide. I'll do it in point-by-point to make it easier

1) A Midi keyboard is a keyboard that outputs Midi data. It does this using a Midi connection, or via USB.

2) USB is better than MIDI. USB is just standard USB, so the keyboard can be plugged into any PC or Mac, be it desktop or laptop. USB also supplies power to the keyboard, so it doesn't need a power supply.

3) Midi data is not music in itself. Midi data represents various things, like a note of a certain pitch, with the key hit at a certain speed, or a slider slid to a certain point.

4) Midi data becomes music when software on your PC, called a Soft Synth, takes the data, and makes a sound out of it. For example, if Native Instrument's Akoustik Piano received a packet of data from the Midi controller that contained C03FF, it would know to convert that packet into a nice C note of the 3rd octave, and FF meant he hit the key really hard, so the note should be suitably loud. This is how a Midi controller can be used to make music

5) Alterntively, a Midi controller with lots of knobs and sliders and stuff can be used to control things like virtual mixign desks. They can be used to send all sorts of commands to music production software. For instance, my Midi keyboard has a full array of buttons, which let me start recording, stop recording, playback and rewind what I've recorded, and I can change all the levels of the tracks I've recorded and mix and do everything involved in composing, recording, and producing music all with my keyboard and my mouse and Cakewalk Sonar, my Digital Audio Workstation software of choice. Although, don't worry, you dn't need to know this part - if he's aksed for a Midi controller, it's a fair bet that he already knows it all.

6) My Midi keyboard? dv247.com/inv…85/ . And it comes with software, so you need purchase nothing more, worry not.

Original Poster

dxx;4547828

Okay, rough guide. I'll do it in point-by-point to make it easier1) A … Okay, rough guide. I'll do it in point-by-point to make it easier1) A Midi keyboard is a keyboard that outputs Midi data. It does this using a Midi connection, or via USB. 2) USB is better than MIDI. USB is just standard USB, so the keyboard can be plugged into any PC or Mac, be it desktop or laptop. USB also supplies power to the keyboard, so it doesn't need a power supply.3) Midi data is not music in itself. Midi data represents various things, like a note of a certain pitch, with the key hit at a certain speed, or a slider slid to a certain point. 4) Midi data becomes music when software on your PC, called a Soft Synth, takes the data, and makes a sound out of it. For example, if Native Instrument's Akoustik Piano received a packet of data from the Midi controller that contained C03FF, it would know to convert that packet into a nice C note of the 3rd octave, and FF meant he hit the key really hard, so the note should be suitably loud. This is how a Midi controller can be used to make music5) Alterntively, a Midi controller with lots of knobs and sliders and stuff can be used to control things like virtual mixign desks. They can be used to send all sorts of commands to music production software. For instance, my Midi keyboard has a full array of buttons, which let me start recording, stop recording, playback and rewind what I've recorded, and I can change all the levels of the tracks I've recorded and mix and do everything involved in composing, recording, and producing music all with my keyboard and my mouse and Cakewalk Sonar, my Digital Audio Workstation software of choice. Although, don't worry, you dn't need to know this part - if he's aksed for a Midi controller, it's a fair bet that he already knows it all.6) My Midi keyboard? http://www.dv247.com/invt/38085/ . And it comes with software, so you need purchase nothing more, worry not.

Thank you so much this has helped me out big time, what a good post 10/10 :thumbsup: For a bunny to know so much about this subject wow its a crazy world we live.

dxx;4547828

My Midi keyboard? http://www.dv247.com/invt/38085/ . And it comes with … My Midi keyboard? http://www.dv247.com/invt/38085/ . And it comes with software, so you need purchase nothing more, worry not.

The Edirol have always been one of the best controllers on the market.

waterloo;4548527

Thank you so much this has helped me out big time, what a good post 10/10 … Thank you so much this has helped me out big time, what a good post 10/10 :thumbsup: For a bunny to know so much about this subject wow its a crazy world we live.

Heh, no problem :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1734
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846238
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?32183
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2437

See more discussions