MIELE , DYSON OR SHARK VACUUM??

Posted 23rd Oct
Not very familiar with Miele all you ever hear about is Dyson in terms of vacuums but the reviews for Dyson aren’t always great especially the cordless ones.
Never heard of Shark but I’ve heard it’s great if you have pets.

Looking for a cord vacuum as I don’t have time for it to be cutting out on me.

Anyone experienced any of the brands?
Community Updates
Ask
38 Comments
I thought dyson are purely cordless now. Ive had both and very happy with my Miele C3
Mother in law has the V6 cordless. I once tried quickly vac the car and i only managed to do half the car before it died on me - mind you this is nearly 3 years old with one battery replacement. I think they only last a max of 20mins from new? Good for a quick once over but not a full house clean.

We have a corded Dyson (DC11 I think?) and its pretty good. Haven’t had the need to change the filters but I have washed them out a few times in the 3 years we’ve had it.
Miele
Miele for sure.
My understanding was Dyson weren't investing any more money in corded technology however still sell corded models.
I have Dyson V6 on its second battery which is a copy off eBay which seems as good as the original one it came with about three years ago. Yes it's run time is only about 20 mins however their latest model does about twice that, so should cope with a general vacuum of a 3/4 bed house before needing to be recharged.
In my experience the biggest issue is that all the cyclone type vacuum cleaners require a thorough blast of compressed air through them about every 4 months or so as the fine dust builds up in them and restricts airflow as much as the clogged air filters themselves.
What I would also add is although a cordless may have enough run time to do a car they are not as agile at getting in awkward spaces.
Finally just to add I find it less an inconvenience to recharge if necessary than to keep plugging in a corded model and having to move the cable.
We have the v6 Dyson it’s about 2 years old now, recently replaced the battery from Amazon with a larger capacity one and now will easily surpass 20 mins and can clean our 5 bed house without it losing charge!
IamMT23/10/2019 07:40

Miele

As above the Rolls Royce of kitchen appliances too.
Miele, great hoover , Only downside i find is the price of the consumables. Ie: bags and filter.
Miele..
jsd1423/10/2019 08:07

We have the v6 Dyson it’s about 2 years old now, recently replaced the b …We have the v6 Dyson it’s about 2 years old now, recently replaced the battery from Amazon with a larger capacity one and now will easily surpass 20 mins and can clean our 5 bed house without it losing charge!

Really! ok that’s good to hear.
ndksamb23/10/2019 09:50

Miele, great hoover , Only downside i find is the price of the …Miele, great hoover , Only downside i find is the price of the consumables. Ie: bags and filter.

Ohh .. how often are you buying them?
Shark vaccum cleaner is good.
I suggest you look into it.
Cisco06060623/10/2019 11:30

Shark vaccum cleaner is good.I suggest you look into it.

Will do i just came across a post recommending it especially if you have pets.
Shark. Can’t comment on Miele but several disappointing dyson later and ended with a shark pet lift away. Excellent.
Shark. Much better value than a Dyson and personally I think they pick up better than Dyson's too. As a bonus, they have super long cords as well! I can do my whole house from one plug point which saves time and effort.
Psychobunni23/10/2019 12:24

Shark. Much better value than a Dyson and personally I think they pick up …Shark. Much better value than a Dyson and personally I think they pick up better than Dyson's too. As a bonus, they have super long cords as well! I can do my whole house from one plug point which saves time and effort.

Your selling me with the long cord
shay1234523/10/2019 12:29

Your selling me with the long cord

It probably sounds silly to some, but it's so useful as it used to take me twice as long to vacuum with my old one! Had this three years now and I'd never go back to other brands. I can plug it in on the middle floor and do all three floors of my house without having to move the plug I've got the Shark Rocket True Pet, not sure if they still do that particular one anymore though.

Never had a Miele though to be honest, as most of them are bagged and I don't want that hassle in my life, haha.
Not silly at all .. having to attach it to an extension cord that ends up getting wrapped up in the reel due to all the moving and adjusting is the most annoying thing I’ve experienced (happens very frequently) a longer cord would make my job easier especially with the lack of outlets on each floor. Thanks for the feedback didn’t realise Miele was bagged not a fan of that.
Perhaps I shouldn't comment on this. I wouldn't spit on a Dyson if it was on fire! Hehe. Ironically, that's usually what happens to them. Seriously though:

Miele - Expensive but very, very good.
Dyson - Overpriced for what they are but a household name so to be expected.
Shark - Cheapest option but still good and lauded by many that own them.

Incidentally, I think they did a comparison of cordless vacuum's on Watchdog a week or two ago. Shark came bottom if I remember correctly but they liked the fact it was more compact and lighter than the Dyson. I think the episode is still available to watch - either Ep3 or 4. 4, I think...

bbc.co.uk/pro…zwy

All the best, Phsy.
shay1234523/10/2019 11:18

Ohh .. how often are you buying them?

Probably 2 filters a year (approx £15 each time) and original bags are around £10 per box. A box can last me 6-8 weeks, say 8 boxes per year. So around £110 yr. Ours is now about 5 yr old and performance wise it's faultless. Would prob but another one when this goes
Phsycronix23/10/2019 13:04

Perhaps I shouldn't comment on this. I wouldn't spit on a Dyson if it was …Perhaps I shouldn't comment on this. I wouldn't spit on a Dyson if it was on fire! Hehe. Ironically, that's usually what happens to them. Seriously though:Miele - Expensive but very, very good.Dyson - Overpriced for what they are but a household name so to be expected.Shark - Cheapest option but still good and lauded by many that own them.Incidentally, I think they did a comparison of cordless vacuum's on Watchdog a week or two ago. Shark came bottom if I remember correctly but they liked the fact it was more compact and lighter than the Dyson. I think the episode is still available to watch - either Ep3 or 4. 4, I think...https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008zwyAll the best, Phsy.

I take it your not their biggest fan, this is great I love to do deep research before I buy any appliance I’ll definitely take a look at the episode, all this info has been very helpful.

Thank you so much !!!
shay1234523/10/2019 14:03

I take it your not their biggest fan, this is great I love to … I take it your not their biggest fan, this is great I love to do deep research before I buy any appliance I’ll definitely take a look at the episode, all this info has been very helpful.Thank you so much !!!

I used to handle customer returns for a large electrical retailer and Dyson's were my biggest bugbear with the largest amount of faults - so, yes I do have a large axe to grind when it comes to them. They were the worst guys to deal with too.
I did find this page which relates to their "Life Lab" tests that they did:

bbc.co.uk/pro…ers

Have a look at your leisure. Might not be THE model(s) that you are looking to purchase but it shows that the families in question liked the Shark - despite it's shortcummings...
Phsycronix23/10/2019 14:06

I used to handle customer returns for a large electrical retailer and …I used to handle customer returns for a large electrical retailer and Dyson's were my biggest bugbear with the largest amount of faults - so, yes I do have a large axe to grind when it comes to them. They were the worst guys to deal with too.

Very interesting, I was definitely surprised with the majority of negative reviews whilst researching, dyson is shoved in our faces as the top tier vacuum when there are better ones exist. Definitely not purchasing one now
shay1234523/10/2019 14:17

Very interesting, I was definitely surprised with the majority of negative …Very interesting, I was definitely surprised with the majority of negative reviews whilst researching, dyson is shoved in our faces as the top tier vacuum when there are better ones exist. Definitely not purchasing one now

The problem with Dyson's are they are too much like Jeremy Clarkson. It's all about "Power, power power!" but power isn't everything. Of course, when the new EU regs came into force, it meant you can't buy vacuums now with that sort of power. Dyson were the pioneers of the cyclonic vacuum so a lot of their fame rises from this fact. I found build quality (and their horrendous motors!) to be very under par. Just my opinion, of course...

As an aside, and not specifically Dyson's fault - I had someone who had a brand new carpet and their 'powerful' Dyson managed to pull an entire thread out from the middle of the carpet! Ok, maybe the carpet was to blame but power has it's dangers!

I have a Panasonic upright, myself. 20+ years old and still as good as they day I bought it. I swear by Panasonic and have lots of tech by them. Even our field engineer said he'd only buy Panasonic stuff. Very well made. Obviously all manufacturers suffer failures but they were few and far between from Panasonic.
Go for Henry vacuum you won't regret it. Corded
devshib23/10/2019 14:56

Go for Henry vacuum you won't regret it. Corded

Never even considered it .. I’ll check it out!
Miele for vacuuming and washing machines too. Expensive but excellent reliable well built products.
Got a Gtech cordless a few years ago. Used it yesterday for about 45 minutes and still had 3/4 power level left. Very light and powerful. Never had any problems with it. Only problem was that we really needed a handheld for stairs etc and was the same price as the upright. Couldn't afford both at the time.
Miele C3 Cat & Dog is superb. Great reliability, we’re on our 2nd in 17 years. We have a golden retriever and carpeted floors and have no issues with the fur.
philedsch23/10/2019 20:31

Got a Gtech cordless a few years ago. Used it yesterday for about 45 …Got a Gtech cordless a few years ago. Used it yesterday for about 45 minutes and still had 3/4 power level left. Very light and powerful. Never had any problems with it. Only problem was that we really needed a handheld for stairs etc and was the same price as the upright. Couldn't afford both at the time.

Will check it out ..thanks
shay1234523/10/2019 21:51

Will check it out ..thanks

Had a Dyson in the past which I loathed with a vengeance.....worst vacuum cleaner I've ever had the misfortune to own and would never go near them again yet my mum swears by them....I bought a Miele Cat & Dog 7 years ago & it's still going strong & would definitely buy another Miele in the future....ok so yes there are the extra costs of the consumables but in my opinion well worth it
I have a Miele c1 (£120) and a Shark Nv601ukt (£118)

The Miele is useless on carpets, very noisy but good build quality. Expensive bags

The shark is good build quality , innovative features, easy to empty and fantastic on all surfaces
Edited by: "chocci" 24th Oct
Can't live without our Miele. The house would be full of retriever fluff without it. Very reliable, long lasting, easy to handle and not very noisy.
chocci24/10/2019 06:31

I have a Miele c1 (£120) and a Shark Nv601ukt (£118)The Miele is useless o …I have a Miele c1 (£120) and a Shark Nv601ukt (£118)The Miele is useless on carpets, very noisy but good build quality. Expensive bagsThe shark is good build quality , innovative features, easy to empty and fantastic on all surfaces

Good to hear about the shark .. I need a vacuum that can really lift dog hair of the carpet and do a good job.
Sorry should add, my Miele is also the C3 Cat & Dog model. My parents also swear by it.
twistedanimator24/10/2019 11:44

Sorry should add, my Miele is also the C3 Cat & Dog model. My parents also …Sorry should add, my Miele is also the C3 Cat & Dog model. My parents also swear by it.

Do you know if this model bagless??
shay1234524/10/2019 11:46

Do you know if this model bagless??

It's not but you can usually get the bags pretty cheap off Amazon etc. We had a bagless before and found it was just too messy (and no good handling with a dust allergy!)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants