Expired

Miele, what a load of rubbish.

Found 15th Jan 2015
My six year old Miele T8422C tumble dryer has given up the ghost. It developed the exact same problem two years ago (switching to cooling after being on a couple of minutes and then switching itself off) and was fixed under the warranty. As it's out of the warranty now, it will cost £117 for the first hour, £75 for each extra hour, plus parts, and plus VAT of course.

I thought Miele were reliable and you paid a premium for the fact they were unlikely to break, but as the last fix only lasted two years it's not worth getting it fixed again as it will definitely need parts, and I don't have any confidence in the product not developing the same fault again.

I also bought a new Miele W3922WPS washing machine at the same time that has a 10 year warranty. The reason I bought the washing machine was because it was 'Which Recommended' for sensitive skin, which I have. One day, one of my partner's socks fell in the dog's water bowl as I was unloading the WM and you wouldn't believe the suds. I had always clicked on 'water plus' for the wash program, but it never seemed to make a difference. The machine's settings must be so concerned with saving water, you can never see any, (there's never a pool at the bottom when it's stopped as with most machines, especially in the rinse cycle). So now I always run through a full wash program then when it's finished do a rinse programme.

I would have called them to check it out but the threat of having to pay for the call out if things are supposedly running as they should, has put me off, which is probably what they rely on.

I'm just having a moan as I wish I'd never bought either product and my recommendation, for what its worth, is steer clear of Miele. Now I'm off to look for a new tumble dryer, made by anyone but Miele.
Community Updates
MiscMiele
39 Comments
haven't had any issues with my Miele.

Solid bits of kit.
ewwaxo

haven't had any issues with my Miele.Solid bits of kit.

Solid is about all I can agree with. To have two breakdown in six years with the same fault is not good. The cost to be repaired could be £300 and it could happen again next year. I've just seen someone else complaining of the same fault with this model, so perhaps a known problem?
Edited by: "Delightful91" 15th Jan 2015
Actually tumble dryers are quite reliable normally, far more so than washing machines. I bought a basic Hotpoint when I moved into my house over 8 years ago and replaced it about 3 months ago. I could have repaired it as cheapish parts were available but I felt like other parts were also wearing down and it had become noisy.

For washing machines Miele have a reliability rating of just over 90% but that still means 1 in 10 will have issues. However compared to the least reliable washing machine brand that might be 3 or 2.5 out of 10. Mechanical devices do fail. You would be better off with a long warranty than just a probability that a appliance will last longer.

I personally don't think Miele are worth their price especially as repairs outside warranty are ridiculously expensive. You don't buy a Miele as a value choice though you buy it for brand snob value despite what some people on this forum will suggest. Beko probably represent the best value choice, they are very cheap and their tumble dryers are more reliable than Miele's according to Which. Parts are cheap and easy to get but really its best to buy such appliances with a long warranty of 5 years.
wow - those repair prices sound a bit steep.

try an lg twin-tub next time.

digitaltrends.com/hom…al/
bonzobanana

Actually tumble dryers are quite reliable normally, far more so than … Actually tumble dryers are quite reliable normally, far more so than washing machines. I bought a basic Hotpoint when I moved into my house over 8 years ago and replaced it about 3 months ago. I could have repaired it as cheapish parts were available but I felt like other parts were also wearing down and it had become noisy. For washing machines Miele have a reliability rating of just over 90% but that still means 1 in 10 will have issues. However compared to the least reliable washing machine brand that might be 3 or 2.5 out of 10. Mechanical devices do fail. You would be better off with a long warranty than just a probability that a appliance will last longer. I personally don't think Miele are worth their price especially as repairs outside warranty are ridiculously expensive. You don't buy a Miele as a value choice though you buy it for brand snob value despite what some people on this forum will suggest. Beko probably represent the best value choice, they are very cheap and their tumble dryers are more reliable than Miele's according to Which. Parts are cheap and easy to get but really its best to buy such appliances with a long warranty of 5 years.

The tumble dryer I replaced was a Hotpoint that never broke once in 15 years. I only bought a new dryer so it would match my new washing machine, a costly mistake. The computer on this thing, for whatever reason keeps switching to cool and then off, no matter what program I use. The greater the technology, the greater the chance of something going wrong it seems.
seb

wow - those repair prices sound a bit steep.try an lg twin-tub next … wow - those repair prices sound a bit steep.try an lg twin-tub next time.http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/lg-twin-wash-system-adds-mini-washer-pedestal/

When I was growing up we used to have a top loading twin tub. We used to start with the boil wash for the towels then gradually cool it down as we washed the whites then colours. And the spin on it was brilliant. I didn't know they still made twin tubs.
Delightful91

The tumble dryer I replaced was a Hotpoint that never broke once in 15 … The tumble dryer I replaced was a Hotpoint that never broke once in 15 years. I only bought a new dryer so it would match my new washing machine, a costly mistake. The computer on this thing, for whatever reason keeps switching to cool and then off, no matter what program I use. The greater the technology, the greater the chance of something going wrong it seems.

Yeah but that was Hotpoint back in the day when they were very strong, reliable and built to last. things are not built to last anymore they want you to buy a new one or pay them to fix it nowadays.
Our Bosch lasted us 10 years of heavy use before calling it a day.....there are five of us and it was on every day without fail !

Bought another without hesitation.
Monkeybumcheeks

Our Bosch lasted us 10 years of heavy use before calling it a … Our Bosch lasted us 10 years of heavy use before calling it a day.....there are five of us and it was on every day without fail !Bought another without hesitation.

I'm just looking a Bosch. I'm tempted, but I'll get earache off my partner if I do as he's told me to get something cheap because I promised him Miele were built to last and that came to nothing. My problem is I always try to buy the most expensive of whatever I'm looking for thinking I'm getting the best, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's good to have a personal recommendation though, so perhaps I will go for Bosch and just not tell him how much it is exactly. Which model do you have?
Delightful91

I'm just looking a Bosch. I'm tempted, but I'll get earache off my … I'm just looking a Bosch. I'm tempted, but I'll get earache off my partner if I do as he's told me to get something cheap because I promised him Miele were built to last and that came to nothing. My problem is I always try to buy the most expensive of whatever I'm looking for thinking I'm getting the best, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's good to have a personal recommendation though, so perhaps I will go for Bosch and just not tell him how much it is exactly. Which model do you have?

Yes, but the Bosch is a washing machine, not a dryer !!

Our dryer is a White Knight oO

Had it for nearly two years now and it was a proper cheapo.....I'll see if I can find the link for ya
Here you go.....

*Clicky*

Cant fault it so far !
Monkeybumcheeks

Here you go.....*Clicky*Cant fault it so far !

Sorry about the confusion, just replacing the dryer for now. I need a condenser dryer, so that particular machine won't work for me, but you have given me food for though. OH says a cheap dryer will work just as well, so you'd agree with that?
Delightful91

Sorry about the confusion, just replacing the dryer for now. I need a … Sorry about the confusion, just replacing the dryer for now. I need a condenser dryer, so that particular machine won't work for me, but you have given me food for though. OH says a cheap dryer will work just as well, so you'd agree with that?

I dont like the condenser type dryers as I find it a pain in the bum emptying the water after every couple of cycles.... each to their own though.
ALL modern washing machines don't rinse properly, it's just a knock-on effect of these energy-saving machines. I always do an extra rinse with my machines (or "Aqua Plus" option on my new one), so it's unfair to point the finger solely at Miele for this.
Monkeybumcheeks

Yes, but the Bosch is a washing machine, not a dryer !!Our dryer is a … Yes, but the Bosch is a washing machine, not a dryer !!Our dryer is a White Knight oOHad it for nearly two years now and it was a proper cheapo.....I'll see if I can find the link for ya

Nice dryer mate. I been running a Creda TR12 for the last 12 years with no problems at all, pipe out the back job & it's been a lovely machine to own.
We have a Zanussi condensing dryer which is now 7 years old. The only down side was that it had the most awful beeping tune when it was finished and after 6 years I finally got round to Googling how to turn it off and now I'm happy!
OldEnglish

Nice dryer mate. I been running a Creda TR12 for the last 12 years with … Nice dryer mate. I been running a Creda TR12 for the last 12 years with no problems at all, pipe out the back job & it's been a lovely machine to own.

A pipe out of the back is the way to go matron X)
Monkeybumcheeks

A pipe out of the back is the way to go matron X)

I think so & it looks the part too. A condenser dryer is just one step up from a mangle imo.
Miele products are quality, but I would still take out an extended warranty, just in case...
Delightful91

The tumble dryer I replaced was a Hotpoint that never broke once in 15 … The tumble dryer I replaced was a Hotpoint that never broke once in 15 years. I only bought a new dryer so it would match my new washing machine, a costly mistake. The computer on this thing, for whatever reason keeps switching to cool and then off, no matter what program I use. The greater the technology, the greater the chance of something going wrong it seems.

Miele aren't at the technology high end compared to some manufacturers but what they do, do is make products that perform well and are built to last normally but as said previously I think the price difference isn't justified as many cheaper brands are almost as reliable. Considering Bosch/Siemens do some fairly poor entry level appliances and yet still score close to Miele in reliability as an average I've a feeling their mid range and higher products are maybe even more reliable than Miele but have nothing to back this up but Bosch has huge resources and are technology led. My Panasonic washing machine was £240 with a 5 year parts and labour warranty. It performs brilliantly and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I have the piece of mind of 5 years guaranteed functionality and hopefully a few bonus years on top. It's also A+++ efficient and has a very useful 15 minute wash.
Villa

Miele products are quality, but I would still take out an extended … Miele products are quality, but I would still take out an extended warranty, just in case...

Dont they have something like a 5 year warranty anyway ?
louiselouise

ALL modern washing machines don't rinse properly, it's just a knock-on … ALL modern washing machines don't rinse properly, it's just a knock-on effect of these energy-saving machines. I always do an extra rinse with my machines (or "Aqua Plus" option on my new one), so it's unfair to point the finger solely at Miele for this.

BIB I'm not sure that's true. I may just have another turkey as I've just found this below showing the same model as mine and I'd be thrilled if my washing machine used this amount of water. Apart from when mine is filling with water, you can't see any water, just wet washing, if that makes any sense. Mine seems particularly thrifty.

youtube.com/wat…hBM

Villa

Miele products are quality, but I would still take out an extended … Miele products are quality, but I would still take out an extended warranty, just in case...

Monkeybumcheeks

The tumble dryer came with five years warranty, the washing machine ten years. I think I will get them out to look at my washing machine as it definitely does not seem to take on enough water.
Monkeybumcheeks

Extended sir, extended.
Miele cat and dog vacuum cleaner, impressive when it works, but Henry more or less does the same job and is easier to maneuver.

Had the Miele for seven years now, and it's not working.
When I contacted Miele regarding 10 years warranty I was appalled at the receptionist rolling out all sorts of veiled threats regarding expensive payments if no 'real' fault found etc.

Fortunately the Henry is doing fine whilst the Miele sits broken.

P.S. Hotpoint; NO!

Villa

Extended sir, extended.

So you can extend after the initial 5/10 year Warranty ?
Edited by: "Monkeybumcheeks" 15th Jan 2015
Monkeybumcheeks

So you can extend after the initial 5 year Warranty ?

Through a 3rd party such as Domestic & General.
Villa

At what cost.....the same as a Bosch appliance perhaps ? (_;)
tryn2help

Miele cat and dog vacuum cleaner, impressive when it works, but Henry … Miele cat and dog vacuum cleaner, impressive when it works, but Henry more or less does the same job and is easier to maneuver.Had the Miele for seven years now, and it's not working. When I contacted Miele regarding 10 years warranty I was appalled at the receptionist rolling out all sorts of veiled threats regarding expensive payments if no 'real' fault found etc.Fortunately the Henry is doing fine whilst the Miele sits broken.P.S. Hotpoint; NO!

That's the exact same experience I had. Well they can darn well sort out my machine as it's not right and they can sue me if they claim it is. Disgraceful way for a supposed prestige brand to behave.
Monkeybumcheeks

At what cost.....the same as a Bosch appliance perhaps ? (_;)

You should give them a call and ask for a quote - perhaps a multi-product quote where you can have cover on a number of appliances for (I think) about £4 each per month.
Villa

You should give them a call and ask for a quote - perhaps a multi-product … You should give them a call and ask for a quote - perhaps a multi-product quote where you can have cover on a number of appliances for (I think) about £4 each per month.

I reckon it's a little bit more than that.....also, once the initial warranty has expired, I think I'd be tempted to just wait until the product died of natural causes before replacing it rather than have the inconvenience of having someone come round to fix it every time it went boobs up.....try not having a washing machine for a week when you've got three kids (_;)
Villa

I've just rang them to see what they offer and for £14.99 a month (£179.88 for the year) they will do the initial repair and give a warranty of 12 months which covers me for further call outs. If after the initial repair it broke again and couldn't be fixed, they would give me a replacement product.

Oh, and more black marks for Miele. D & G are the ones that underwrite for Miele, the lady I spoke to could see the details of my warranty, that I thought had been held by Miele, and that it had expired. Miele apparently also offer this deal but charge a mark up, so if I'd have taken up this offer with them they would have charged me £20.00 a month, five pounds more a month for nothing as all they do is farm it out to D & G. What a con.

I have a Samsung washing machine and a Siemens (Bosch) tumble dryer which both came with 5 year warranties.
Both of them had years 2-5 with D&G. They sent me the renewal for the washing machine after the 5 years but I didn't actually find it until after I got a fault and the warranty had expired. My ever loving wife had found yet another place to dump my mail and forget to tell me about it.
Still and all all the local tradesmen I looked at wanted something like £120 for parts and labour to fix with a few months warranty on the repair, or a £60-£80 call-out fee plus any parts so I just did the D&G repair and warranty deal as above.
The couple of times I had to get them out previously they were quick enough since they farm it out to a local franchisee.

Dryer is coming up for renewal soon so will see what they come up with.
It's a trade off between getting a warranty or taking the risk of it dying and getting a good deal on a new one if it does.
Edited by: "Zardoz" 15th Jan 2015
I think the entry level Miele washing machines have a 2 year guarantee like Bosch/Siemens but often offer a inclusive 5 year warranty as a promotion on more expensive models. The models with the 5 year warranty are still around £600 so £120 for each guaranteed year. My Panasonic is only £45 for each guaranteed year and has a higher energy efficiency. I'm making no claims that the Panasonic is as reliable as the Miele though but the difference is only a slight probability that the Miele will last longer and if the Miele does fail its much more likely to be beyond repair due to parts and labour costs which are exceptionally high for Miele. So the Miele's bonus years after the warranty period has to be weighed up against higher cost repairs if it does go wrong.

The most important advice I think though is get a long 5 year warranty included whether free or additional purchase, this advice is trebled for washer dryers which are far less reliable than normal washing machines.

10 best clothes drying racks

Make sure your washing dries quickly and safely at home. IndyBest gets hung up on finding the most efficient gadget for the job...

independent.co.uk/ext…tml
Edited by: "seb" 23rd Jan 2015
thanks seb!
mine has the exact same problem!!!!
None of my Miele products have let me down, 2 fridge freezers, dishwasher and a washing machine.
summerof76

None of my Miele products have let me down, 2 fridge freezers, dishwasher … None of my Miele products have let me down, 2 fridge freezers, dishwasher and a washing machine.

You're wadded.

Btw...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants