Groups

Might be going to NYC....

So...any 'must do's'??? (Im kinda on a budget but always good to know what I 'could' do :p)

And I would like to catch a show....not sure which one though. Would love to see The Lion King as I have already seen it at the west end and it was fab....but cant help thinking that seeing something I have already seen live is the waste of a ticket/experience...so thought I would ask what everyone else would love to see and choose from there I think I have listed all of them below....prob missed a few though
    The 39 Steps
    The Addams Family Lunt
    After Miss Julie
    All About Me
    A Behanding in Spokane
    Billy Elliot: The Musical
    Burn the Floor
    Bye Bye Birdie
    Chicago the Musical Ambassador
    Collected Stories
    Fela! Eugene
    Finian's Rainbow
    God of Carnage Bernard B.
    Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical
    Hamlet
    In the Heights
    In the Next Room or the vibrator play
    Irving Berlin's White Christmas
    Jersey Boys
    La Cage Aux Folles
    The Lion King
    A Little Night Music
    Mamma Mia!
    Mary Poppins
    Memphis: A New Musical
    Million Dollar Quartet
    The Miracle Worker
    Next Fall
    Next to Normal
    Oleanna
    The Phantom of the Opera
    Present Laughter
    Promises, Promises
    Race
    Ragtime
    Rock of Ages
    The Royal Family
    Shrek The Musical
    Sondheim on Sondheim
    South Pacific
    A Steady Rain
    Superior Donuts
    Time Stands Still
    A View From the Bridge
    West Side Story
    Wicked
    Wishful Drinking

taa

19 Comments

Might be, you better had now if u paid anything for it girlie

Banned

dont bother with the show....seriously. its a waste of precious time and useless money

Must do for anyone on a budget is Staten island Ferry as it's free. The Empire State Building was also well worth it's entrance fee & you must take a walk in Central Park

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6869605

Might be, you better had now if u paid anything for it girlie

I havent paid anything yet....still in the process of deciding
    kapows;6869612

dont bother with the show....seriously. its a waste of precious time and … dont bother with the show....seriously. its a waste of precious time and useless money

hmmmm Im sure I can spare a couple of hours....can you suggest something better to spend the time on? I think I will enjoy a broadway show as I enjoyed the West End the 2 times I have been

Original Poster

darren9030;6869620

Must do for anyone on a budget is Staten island Ferry as it's free. The … Must do for anyone on a budget is Staten island Ferry as it's free. The Empire State Building was also well worth it's entrance fee & you must take a walk in Central Park

I think the hotel I might be staying in may be close to central park (see how organised I am???:? lol) so that will be a given.....didnt know about the ferry, any ideas where it goes from, and what is on staten island???? :oops: Hmmm I went up the Sears Tower in Chicago and almost feinted....went on the London Eye and felt severly ill.....wonder if ESB is such a good idea

Top of the Rockefeller Centre at night, AWESOME! Looking out across the whole of NYC

Go see the old men playing chess in central park?

I've always wanted to play chess there but I'm obsessed with the game lol

lil_tiger;6869658

I think the hotel I might be staying in may be close to central park (see … I think the hotel I might be staying in may be close to central park (see how organised I am???:? lol) so that will be a given.....didnt know about the ferry, any ideas where it goes from, and what is on staten island???? :oops: Hmmm I went up the Sears Tower in Chicago and almost feinted....went on the London Eye and felt severly ill.....wonder if ESB is such a good idea

It's a long way from Central Park but the Metro goes there. As for what's on Staten island - not too much but you get to photograph the Statue of Liberty on the way so it saves paying to go there :
    [url]www.siferry.com[/url]

go visit the best public toilets in the world (imo )in bryant park,and they are free !! they also have ice skating there,central park and rockafella centre,staton island ferry is free ,you dont get a closeup of the statue of liberty but the view back to manhattan is spectacular,enjoy !

Original Poster

cbryanp;6869674

Top of the Rockefeller Centre at night, AWESOME! Looking out across the … Top of the Rockefeller Centre at night, AWESOME! Looking out across the whole of NYC

never even heard of the Rockefeller Centre.....will look it up
    ClarityofMind;6869675

Go see the old men playing chess in central park?I've always wanted to … Go see the old men playing chess in central park?I've always wanted to play chess there but I'm obsessed with the game lol

the one thing I want to do there is eat a chinese meal out of a paper box.....Im more interested in the small pointless things that mean more to me personally than the generic things

Original Poster

darren9030;6869686

It's a long way from Central Park but the Metro goes there. As for what's … It's a long way from Central Park but the Metro goes there. As for what's on Staten island - not too much but you get to photograph the Statue of Liberty on the way so it saves paying to go there :[url]www.siferry.com[/url]

ohhh thank you think itll be a 'do if I have time' thing....but good to know
    housefan;6869706

go visit the best public toilets in the world (imo )in bryant park,and … go visit the best public toilets in the world (imo )in bryant park,and they are free !! they also have ice skating there,central park and rockafella centre,staton island ferry is free ,you dont get a closeup of the statue of liberty but the view back to manhattan is spectacular,enjoy !

OMG I didnt even think about ice skating! (I cant do it for long without my ankles giving in as I have extremely flexible ankles and go over on them very very easily) but I know the person Im going with has always wanted to try it

going AFK now but thanks for the replies....will check when I get back and rep and reply to anymore messages

As mentioned, Staten Island Ferry is a must for the night-time view of the skyline; as is looking back from the Brooklyn Bridge. The Metropolitan Museum of Art / Frick Collection / Guggenheim then a stroll down 5th Avenue to Washington Arch via Rockefeller Center / St Pat's Cathedral.... :thumbsup:

If you are thinking of going to a show buy the tickets on the day from the tkts booth in time square. I went to Shrek the Musical - very good and 50% off the published price. Also recommend visiting the m&m world store!

have a great time OP, I sooo want to go NYC but none of my friends want to go, will defo go next year on my own

Chicago on Broadway is brilliant catch some nice sushi from Ruby Foos across the road.

The Guggenheim Museum by Central Park

Wall Street

Hell's Kitchen (district)

Tribeca

Flat Iron Building

Original Poster

shellb159;6870106

If you are thinking of going to a show buy the tickets on the day from … If you are thinking of going to a show buy the tickets on the day from the tkts booth in time square. I went to Shrek the Musical - very good and 50% off the published price. Also recommend visiting the m&m world store!

I thought the M&M store was in Vegas? I thought that about the tickets but then lookin online there are $46 West Side Story tickets, fair enough in the top tier but row A so they should be pretty good views and for £30 seems very good.....
    treble99;6870144

have a great time OP, I sooo want to go NYC but none of my friends want … have a great time OP, I sooo want to go NYC but none of my friends want to go, will defo go next year on my own

Im only taging along with someone :roll: wouldnt be going otherwise
    Alfonse;6870176

Chicago on Broadway is brilliant catch some nice sushi from Ruby Foos … Chicago on Broadway is brilliant catch some nice sushi from Ruby Foos across the road.The Guggenheim Museum by Central ParkWall StreetHell's Kitchen (district)TribecaFlat Iron Building

chicago? Hmmm Im thinking Ill be going down the 'classic' line so that could be an option sushi however (although never tried!) doesnt interest me,,,,
    not very into museums, and think wall street may bore me a bit
    what is 'hells kitchen district'? just a group of resteraunts visited by the show?
    dont know what Tribeca is nor the 'flat iron building' so will have to google

lil_tiger;6869737

never even heard of the Rockefeller Centre.....will look it up the one … never even heard of the Rockefeller Centre.....will look it up the one thing I want to do there is eat a chinese meal out of a paper box.....Im more interested in the small pointless things that mean more to me personally than the generic things

OMG!! I've always wanted to do that!! Although I've been to New York & have never found a chinese takeaway. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

My tips:
    (As already stated) the Rockfeller centre is a must. The view from the 'top of the rock' is far better than the view from the ESB.
    Grand Central Station is great for people watching, particularly around rush hour.
    Greenwich Village (well alot of the neighbourhoods) are great for wandering around.
    Central Park is a wonderful place. If you're a fan of John Lennon then a visit to Straberry Fields is a must. If you're at the top of the Park (near 5th ave i think) then you can ice skate at the Woolman Rink.

Are you a fan of film or tv? I love going to see locations where they were made. There's a few places to visit if you're a fan of Sex & The City etc.

Have fun...I'm soooo jealous!

lil_tiger;6870242

I thought the M&M store was in Vegas? I thought that about the tickets … I thought the M&M store was in Vegas? I thought that about the tickets but then lookin online there are $46 West Side Story tickets, fair enough in the top tier but row A so they should be pretty good views and for £30 seems very good.....Im only taging along with someone :roll: wouldnt be going otherwisechicago? Hmmm Im thinking Ill be going down the 'classic' line so that could be an option sushi however (although never tried!) doesnt interest me,,,,not very into museums, and think wall street may bore me a bit :)what is 'hells kitchen district'? just a group of resteraunts visited by the show?dont know what Tribeca is nor the 'flat iron building' so will have to google

Forgot to mention - the Flatiron building. Is my favourite building, it's fascinating to look at! Hells Kitchen is an area of Manhattan. Always reminds me of the film Sleepers. Used to be a place to avoid but in recent years is supposed to be a nice area to visit. Tribeca is the place to visit if you want to see the fire house used in Ghostbusters :oops:

Original Poster

beatrixkiddo79;6870710

OMG!! I've always wanted to do that!! Although I've been to New York & … OMG!! I've always wanted to do that!! Although I've been to New York & have never found a chinese takeaway. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.My tips:(As already stated) the Rockfeller centre is a must. The view from the 'top of the rock' is far better than the view from the ESB.Grand Central Station is great for people watching, particularly around rush hour.Greenwich Village (well alot of the neighbourhoods) are great for wandering around.Central Park is a wonderful place. If you're a fan of John Lennon then a visit to Straberry Fields is a must. If you're at the top of the Park (near 5th ave i think) then you can ice skate at the Woolman Rink.Are you a fan of film or tv? I love going to see locations where they were made. There's a few places to visit if you're a fan of Sex & The City etc.Have fun...I'm soooo jealous!

beatrixkiddo79;6870749

Forgot to mention - the Flatiron building. Is my favourite building, it's … Forgot to mention - the Flatiron building. Is my favourite building, it's fascinating to look at! Hells Kitchen is an area of Manhattan. Always reminds me of the film Sleepers. Used to be a place to avoid but in recent years is supposed to be a nice area to visit. Tribeca is the place to visit if you want to see the fire house used in Ghostbusters :oops:

Thanks for the info...If I dont find a chinese that does it I will not be happy :x think im staying in manhattan so the Hells Kitchen place is a maybe....Kinda scared of ending up in a dodgy part of town.....reviews for every single hotel are very VERY mixed (apart from the rediculously priced ones) Think I need to make a list of things to do....then I can tick them off
    cheers
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New Firmware for S4 mini?22
      2. Currys Return44
      3. wANT TO BUY A CHEAP SSD11
      4. Swtiching to Galaxy from Iphone-Advice?22

See more discussions