Mileage clocked question

Posted 28th Apr
So a friend of mine part exchanged his Toyota Prius at a seat main dealer for a seat Alhambra his Toyota mileage was around 26000 when he gave it to them now after around 6 weeks his old Prius is on Toyota main dealer with a reduced mileage of 19000 we understand that it’s none of our business now as the car is no longer owned by my friend but that’s not fair on someone who is potentially going to buy the car next as the mileage has been reduced it’s shocking how main dealers do this is there anyway to report this, his got documents to prove the mileage when he exchanged it.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The real crime is that they want 26k for that monstrosity
47 Comments
Contact trading standards.
Think there's a "red herring " here - possibly a different car or a genuine mistake ? No main dealer is going to "clock a car " for 7000 miles are they ?

Think about it - sales documents, invoices etc will show the genuine mileage so they can't hide it .

Have you or your imaginary friend got something against the dealer ? If you have genuine concerns report to trading standards .
rogparki26 m ago

Think there's a "red herring " here - possibly a different car or a …Think there's a "red herring " here - possibly a different car or a genuine mistake ? No main dealer is going to "clock a car " for 7000 miles are they ?Think about it - sales documents, invoices etc will show the genuine mileage so they can't hide it .Have you or your imaginary friend got something against the dealer ? If you have genuine concerns report to trading standards .

Car part-ex'd to Seat dealer, then ends up at an (unsuspecting?) Toyota dealer, so may have travelled via a colourful 3rd party. That scenario is not beyond possibility. Still worth a check that it's the same vehicle & notification to TS if it is.
It is possible - especially if that extra mileage made a difference to warranty/service history.
It may well have gone through the hands of a third party between seat and toyota.

I'd be talking to the toyota dealer first.
Did you see this on the website or in person? Might be an error on website
Car is definitely the same car as the part exchange paper work has the registration number and mileage and to confirm my imaginary friend is not talking rubbish I checked the mot history, out of curiosity who would be a third party car went to seat main dealer ends up with Toyota main dealer previous owners unchanged.

this is the car

usedcars.toyota.co.uk/en/…BUC
The real crime is that they want 26k for that monstrosity
Go there and challenge them directly, you have nothing to lose
How can you have checked mot history, it's not due an MOT yet?
Dyslexic_Dog28/04/2019 16:42

Gov website.
MR112353 m ago

Did you see this on the website or in person? Might be an error on website

Follow that link, you can zoom in and see the 19k on the digital display
Dyslexic_Dog21 m ago

Car was used as private hire before being part exchange
Jay08028628/04/2019 16:54

Gov website.

Eh? Mot not due until 2020, there can not be any data, the only way there could be a record of milage is from a service document or at a point of sale (always asks on ownership document "to prevent fraud")
Car ownership documents usually ask for milage info "to prevent fraud", maybe it's them you need to contact
esar28/04/2019 17:07

Eh? Mot not due until 2020, there can not be any data, the only way there …Eh? Mot not due until 2020, there can not be any data, the only way there could be a record of milage is from a service document or at a point of sale (always asks on ownership document "to prevent fraud")

Either way it's there in black and white on the Gov website.
Report to trading standards. Toyota might not have done it though and probably report to newspapers and make some money
esar7 m ago

Eh? Mot not due until 2020, there can not be any data, the only way there …Eh? Mot not due until 2020, there can not be any data, the only way there could be a record of milage is from a service document or at a point of sale (always asks on ownership document "to prevent fraud")

Date tested 23 January 2019
PASS
Mileage17,097 miles
Jay08028628/04/2019 16:54

Gov website.

Yes but it's not three years old yet, so won't have any mot history to check the mileage against.

Edit: Okay I see it's been used as a private hire car so maybe needs an MOT from the first anniversary of registration?
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 28th Apr
Dyslexic_Dog6 m ago

Yes but it's not three years old yet, so won't have any mot history to …Yes but it's not three years old yet, so won't have any mot history to check the mileage against.Edit: Okay I see it's been used as a private hire car so maybe needs an MOT from the first anniversary of registration?

Date of first registration:November 2017.

Had its first mot

Date tested 25 July 2018
PASS
Mileage5,849 miles
Nothing new.
Jay08028615 m ago

Either way it's there in black and white on the Gov website.

What's there in black and white?
Dyslexic_Dog28/04/2019 17:17

Yes but it's not three years old yet, so won't have any mot history to …Yes but it's not three years old yet, so won't have any mot history to check the mileage against.Edit: Okay I see it's been used as a private hire car so maybe needs an MOT from the first anniversary of registration?

• Frequency of tests. The legal requirement for taxis requires that they should be subject to an MOT test or its equivalent one year after first registration and annually thereafter. For private hire cars annual MOT testing should commence after the vehicle is three years old. Notwithstanding MOT requirements, authorities generally undertake inspection of taxis and private hire cars at first licensing and annually or more frequently thereafter. This approach is considered best practice in the interests of public safety. Annual testing for licensed vehicles regardless of age is considered best practice although more frequent testing may be appropriate for older vehicles (see 'age limits' below). Local licensing authorities may wish to note that a review carried out by the National Society for Cleaner Air in 2005 found that taxis were more likely than other vehicles to fail an emissions test. This finding, perhaps suggests that emissions testing should be carried out on an ad hoc basis and more frequently than the full vehicle test.
Let me see if I get this. End of January it has 17k on the clock. Traded in six weeks ago so let's say mid march. That means it did nine thousand miles in six weeks? I'm not sure what's fishy but something doesn't add up.
psychobitchfromhell28/04/2019 17:28

Let me see if I get this. End of January it has 17k on the clock. Traded …Let me see if I get this. End of January it has 17k on the clock. Traded in six weeks ago so let's say mid march. That means it did nine thousand miles in six weeks? I'm not sure what's fishy but something doesn't add up.

No, exactly the opposite,it was traded with 26000 and then appears for sale later with 17000!
deeky28/04/2019 17:27

Frequency of tests. The legal requirement for taxis requires that they …Frequency of tests. The legal requirement for taxis requires that they should be subject to an MOT test or its equivalent one year after first registration and annually thereafter. For private hire cars annual MOT testing should commence after the vehicle is three years old. Notwithstanding MOT requirements, authorities generally undertake inspection of taxis and private hire cars at first licensing and annually or more frequently thereafter. This approach is considered best practice in the interests of public safety. Annual testing for licensed vehicles regardless of age is considered best practice although more frequent testing may be appropriate for older vehicles (see 'age limits' below). Local licensing authorities may wish to note that a review carried out by the National Society for Cleaner Air in 2005 found that taxis were more likely than other vehicles to fail an emissions test. This finding, perhaps suggests that emissions testing should be carried out on an ad hoc basis and more frequently than the full vehicle test.

That's rubbish Deeky. A Certificate of Compliance (MOT)is required before a car can be used as a Private Hire Vehicle. In Salford, where I work, my car is tested every six months, and no information is stored on the MOT digital database.
psychobitchfromhell28/04/2019 17:28

Let me see if I get this. End of January it has 17k on the clock. Traded …Let me see if I get this. End of January it has 17k on the clock. Traded in six weeks ago so let's say mid march. That means it did nine thousand miles in six weeks? I'm not sure what's fishy but something doesn't add up.

Easily done if used as a taxi, running it day and night with two drivers.
Hope this person doesn't buy it.
Dyslexic_Dog19 m ago

No, exactly the opposite,it was traded with 26000 and then appears for …No, exactly the opposite,it was traded with 26000 and then appears for sale later with 17000!

No, the mot in Jan says 17k, the website says ~19.8k. They say 26k. 3k in 2 months is more realistic than 9k
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 28th Apr
redcantona12 m ago

Easily done if used as a taxi, running it day and night with two drivers.

I know it's possible but it doesn't fit with the previous usage if the last mot was 5k. whoever is right or wrong, it doesn't add up
Dyslexic_Dog22 m ago

No, exactly the opposite,it was traded with 26000 and then appears for …No, exactly the opposite,it was traded with 26000 and then appears for sale later with 17000!

No, what I'm saying is the mot says 17k in January but it was traded in a few weeks later at 26k
I think Ferris Buler has been at this car!
redcantona28/04/2019 17:41

That's rubbish Deeky. A Certificate of Compliance (MOT)is required before …That's rubbish Deeky. A Certificate of Compliance (MOT)is required before a car can be used as a Private Hire Vehicle. In Salford, where I work, my car is tested every six months, and no information is stored on the MOT digital database.

Don't shoot the messenger I was just showing that a private hire car doesn't legally require an MOT for 3 years, the same as everyone else
esar56 m ago

If the car was used as a Private Hire then there is a very high probability that the car was tested when the PH Driver bought it, as per Local Licencing Rules.
deeky28/04/2019 17:57

Don't shoot the messenger I was just showing that a private hire car …Don't shoot the messenger I was just showing that a private hire car doesn't legally require an MOT for 3 years, the same as everyone else

It doesn't require a MOT at any time if it's a PHV. That's why it's rubbish.
redcantona7 m ago

It doesn't require a MOT at any time if it's a PHV. That's why it's …It doesn't require a MOT at any time if it's a PHV. That's why it's rubbish.

I'm afraid to say it is according to LOCAL licensing laws.

I am a Private Hire driver and here in Cheltenham it is compulsory to have an MOT test from the day you bought it, even if you driven from the showroom to the Council MOT depot.

We have 2 parts. A FULL government MOT in which mileage is entered onto the Gov database, and certificate of compliance (COC) for tidiness/dents/scratches etc. The COC is nothing to do with the MOT and is a local licencing requirement.
Edited by: "StonkwellBogtrotter" 28th Apr
deeky23 m ago

Don't shoot the messenger I was just showing that a private hire car …Don't shoot the messenger I was just showing that a private hire car doesn't legally require an MOT for 3 years, the same as everyone else

Private hire in London require mot after the first yea
Someone needs to give Sherlock Holmes a call I think.
deleted1080215
37549599-kUoHd.jpg11,000 miles in 6 months. About right for a taxi.

Whichever route you go, whichever garage you go to, there is the possibility that you go to the one that 'clocked' the speedo. Get an email for all involved, and send the same message to each one at the same time. Let them fight among themselves.
deleted108021528/04/2019 18:39

[Image] 11,000 miles in 6 months. About right for a taxi.Whichever route …[Image] 11,000 miles in 6 months. About right for a taxi.Whichever route you go, whichever garage you go to, there is the possibility that you go to the one that 'clocked' the speedo. Get an email for all involved, and send the same message to each one at the same time. Let them fight among themselves.

But a further 9,000 miles in 2-3 months? That seems less likely!
Op says 6 weeks ago mileage was 26,000.
Car today says mileage is 19,000.

Mot says 12 weeks ago mileage was 17,000.

Without any evidence people will laugh at op. If you have no evidence please request that this thread is locked.

Sale paperwork means nothing. The seller can write anything on the paperwork.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions