Mileage on a car

Found 7th Feb
Hi.

Looking for advice...

Im insured to do 4000 per year on my car, but i am lending a friend my car for a month whilst his is getting fixed, he does about 500miles per week so he will end up doing about 2k miles and i still have 10months of my policy left!

Would my insurance be void if i went over 4000 miles per year? I really dont want to up my mileage as its an extra £190 plus £50 admin fee!
Community Updates
Ask
37 Comments
Is your friend taking out insurance?
Insurers take your mileage each time you take out the policy. I would suggest this would only be an issue should you have an accident in excess of 4000 miles and you need to initiate the claim.

Maybe your friend should pay the amendment to your policy for the amount he intends to use it?
Hi , I just looked at this when renewing my insurance last week . With Hastings, for my policy, it states " if you have a claim and have exceeded your annual mileage estimate the excess will be increased by £500" . Don't know whether this is the same on all insurances but worth checking .
Does his car insurer/garage repairer not do a car loan whilst his is off the road?
... most insurance companies would not insure your friend to drive your car as there is no insurable interest... the only way around this is you will need to add you friend to your policy as a temporary driver ... in terms of mileage most insurance companies say 'estimated' mileage ... most rate on mileage as the more miles you do the higher risk of having an accident... when you add your friend onto your frined

Also if he is doing 500 miles a week and you add him on for a month thats 2000 miles in that month ... which is half of your allowance ... I know you're probably trying to be nice about it but maybe reconsider this is you cannot afford to increase your mileage by 2000miles a year
krazyasif7861 m ago

... most insurance companies would not insure your friend to drive your …... most insurance companies would not insure your friend to drive your car as there is no insurable interest... the only way around this is you will need to add you friend to your policy as a temporary driver ... in terms of mileage most insurance companies say 'estimated' mileage ... most rate on mileage as the more miles you do the higher risk of having an accident... when you add your friend onto your frinedAlso if he is doing 500 miles a week and you add him on for a month thats 2000 miles in that month ... which is half of your allowance ... I know you're probably trying to be nice about it but maybe reconsider this is you cannot afford to increase your mileage by 2000miles a year

If his friend is fully comp he might be covered for third party on his car.
CoeK5 m ago

If his friend is fully comp he might be covered for third party on his car.

Yep almost all Comp Cover now entittles your to drive other cars on loan at 3rd party risk only.
krazyasif78611 m ago

... most insurance companies would not insure your friend to drive your …... most insurance companies would not insure your friend to drive your car as there is no insurable interest... the only way around this is you will need to add you friend to your policy as a temporary driver ... in terms of mileage most insurance companies say 'estimated' mileage ... most rate on mileage as the more miles you do the higher risk of having an accident... when you add your friend onto your frinedAlso if he is doing 500 miles a week and you add him on for a month thats 2000 miles in that month ... which is half of your allowance ... I know you're probably trying to be nice about it but maybe reconsider this is you cannot afford to increase your mileage by 2000miles a year

He will be driving with his insurance he currently has on his own car which will cover him
Toptrumpet17 m ago

Does his car insurer/garage repairer not do a car loan whilst his is off …Does his car insurer/garage repairer not do a car loan whilst his is off the road?

Its only going to be in a garage for a day or two, he just doesn’t have the money right now to pay and its costing £1700 so has to wait until next months payday.
rogparki18 m ago

Hi , I just looked at this when renewing my insurance last week . With …Hi , I just looked at this when renewing my insurance last week . With Hastings, for my policy, it states " if you have a claim and have exceeded your annual mileage estimate the excess will be increased by £500" . Don't know whether this is the same on all insurances but worth checking .

Id say its worth taking the risk then?
CelestialLegend7th Feb

Insurers take your mileage each time you take out the policy. I would …Insurers take your mileage each time you take out the policy. I would suggest this would only be an issue should you have an accident in excess of 4000 miles and you need to initiate the claim.Maybe your friend should pay the amendment to your policy for the amount he intends to use it?

Never had my mileage asked for and I don't know of anyone else who has either.
SteMoss17 m ago

He will be driving with his insurance he currently has on his own car …He will be driving with his insurance he currently has on his own car which will cover him

Will only cover third party, so not much cover.
CoeK1 m ago

Will only cover third party, so not much cover.

Its not much of a car tbh
I found that the sweet spot for mileage was about 7000-8000. If I put 6000 it would cost more, 3000 more still. Different with my classic car insurance tho.
MIDURIX4 m ago

I found that the sweet spot for mileage was about 7000-8000. If I put 6000 …I found that the sweet spot for mileage was about 7000-8000. If I put 6000 it would cost more, 3000 more still. Different with my classic car insurance tho.

Same here they have never asked for mileage and unless they really looked into it they would never know (unless it’s a new car
SteMoss7th Feb

He will be driving with his insurance he currently has on his own car …He will be driving with his insurance he currently has on his own car which will cover him

It will only cover him for third party, meaning if the accident is his fault you will get nothing for your car.
MIDURIX18 m ago

Never had my mileage asked for and I don't know of anyone else who has …Never had my mileage asked for and I don't know of anyone else who has either.

I've only been asked to sign a mileage declaration for my campervan insurance.

On another note, your mileage is recorded annually as part of the MOT (presuming it's over 3 years old)
Yes, in the event of a claim the insurance company would check the mileage via last years mot records as part of their due diligence to see if the claim was valid
Op, I know you’re trying to help your friend out, but offering your car for up to a month and the level of mileage is too generous, plus throwing in the uncertainty on the impact of your insurance if you later have an accident.
Is there no alternative options like getting an advance on his salary to pay for the repairs?
Best thing to do is tell them you can't due to the mileage, if they are a real friend they wont hold it against you.

You'll have a problem if you need to claim and you've done 3000 miles extra.

You obviously don't do many miles, they do and if they blow your car up you'll regret it.

What happened to their car? If it was due to a lack of maintenance etc that alone should put you off letting them use yours.

If it's accident damage then that would also be a reason not to do it.

Obviously it could be a totally unavoidable car issue though.

Up to you obviously but my answer would be an immediate no way hell no.

MIDURIX1 h, 21 m ago

Never had my mileage asked for and I don't know of anyone else who has …Never had my mileage asked for and I don't know of anyone else who has either.

Same.
Edited by: "dataload" 7th Feb
Toptrumpet29 m ago

Op, I know you’re trying to help your friend out, but offering your car f …Op, I know you’re trying to help your friend out, but offering your car for up to a month and the level of mileage is too generous, plus throwing in the uncertainty on the impact of your insurance if you later have an accident.Is there no alternative options like getting an advance on his salary to pay for the repairs?

I agree. 50% over what you have estimate is way over what the insurance company would allow.
3rd party cover on comprehensive insurance is supposed to be for emergencies. It is not meant to be a drive any car you like perk. That’s I what trade insurance is for.

You can be prosecuted for him driving your vehicle uninsured. Of course that is all down to being caught and it being identified as his daily driver.

Call the insurance and get a quote for adding them and upping insurance. It should not cost £190 to up it. Any admin fee your ‘friend’ should cover. They are getting 15% of your tyres for free anyway.
How many miles will you actually do? Presumably the 4000 miles is more than enough for your normal annual mileage so it might be worth just checking how many miles you've actually done over the past few years. You really need to add him to your insurance as his 3rd party cover isn't appropriate for all the reasons already mentioned in the other comments. I can't imagine that adding another 2000 miles to your policy would make much difference to be honest and sometimes adding another driver actually makes your insurance cheaper!
zirk3 h, 17 m ago

Yep almost all Comp Cover now entittles your to drive other cars on loan …Yep almost all Comp Cover now entittles your to drive other cars on loan at 3rd party risk only.

Incorrect will only be active on your policy if you selected it
I would make 100% sure he is insured to drive your car, it's not always a given these days not to mention the possibility of speed cameras and parking fines etc. I'd try and nudge him towards getting a hire car if it was me as you could lose a lot of money - and a friend
He is getting a hire car 👌🏻 doesnt trust my car will last the month
SteMoss1 m ago

He is getting a hire car 👌🏻 doesnt trust my car will last the month …He is getting a hire car 👌🏻 doesnt trust my car will last the month

Get him to add you as an additional driver just in case.
cliosport6518 m ago

Incorrect will only be active on your policy if you selected it

I've never come across a selection box when searching for car insurance and it has been included in all my previous fully comp policies.

I understand that it's not always included in some fully comp policies so I guess it could be an optional extra on those. That's not standard practice though.
.MUFC.5 m ago

I've never come across a selection box when searching for car insurance …I've never come across a selection box when searching for car insurance and it has been included in all my previous fully comp policies. I understand that it's not always included in some fully comp policies so I guess it could be an optional extra on those. That's not standard practice though.

May depend on your age I think, I agree its not always included too so worth checking.
So many reasons not to lend your friend your car , really wouldn't if it was me . Who knows if you will need your car during that time , how frustrating are you going to find it not being able to use your own car. If your friends insurance is only going to cover him third party , then you are basically accepting that in certain circumstances you are happy that if an accident occurs that is his fault you will likely loose your car without any insurance in place . Then you have the general wear and tear on the car for the extra miles , suppose something breaks while he is using it , eg brake pads go , then who is going to pay to fix it , you who is not even using the car , or him who has no funds to pay to fix his own car.

You you could be lucky and all will go fine , if not it sounds like a recipe for losing a friend, and that's on top of the issues you will have if you need to claim on your insurance afterwards and your mileage is over your insured level. If you really are determined to do it despite all the warnings from other posters then if he is a decent friend he will insure himself fully comp on your car, pay the extra to increase the mileage on yours and reimburse you for the wear and tear . If he hasn't offered that maybe the friendship is a little one sided .

Got distracted half way through posting , and just seen you aren't going ahead , all for the best
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 7th Feb
CelestialLegend7th Feb

Insurers take your mileage each time you take out the policy. I would …Insurers take your mileage each time you take out the policy. I would suggest this would only be an issue should you have an accident in excess of 4000 miles and you need to initiate the claim.Maybe your friend should pay the amendment to your policy for the amount he intends to use it?

My insurance has never asked nor have I ever told them the mileage of any car I have had.
cliosport656 m ago

May depend on your age I think, I agree its not always included too so …May depend on your age I think, I agree its not always included too so worth checking.

Yes, I guess so, I think I was over 25 when fully comp worked out cheaper for me, I used to drive old bangers so was only worth third party, fire and theft back then, Those were the days lol.
It eill only make any difference if you have a black box. They wouldnt know otherwise
master1046 m ago

It eill only make any difference if you have a black box. They wouldnt …It eill only make any difference if you have a black box. They wouldnt know otherwise

They'll know if he crashes in 10 months time and someone dies, gets hurt or a £70,000 car gets badly damaged.

If the payout is going to be a big one, they will most certainly check every little detail.
You can amend your policy and increase the annual mileage by contacting the insurer. Obviously your monthly payments will increase unless you pay annually which will cause a fee to be paid.

I used to work in insurance.
MIDURIX5 h, 39 m ago

I thought he meant what you said but on reflection I think Sharp7 means the expected annual mileage.
Quick Update
Op’s Friend has now decided to hire a car, as op’s car might not make it through the month.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants