Millions of Steam game keys stolen after hacker breaches gaming site

SuperEd
The data also includes an estimated 3.3 million unique site and forum accounts including facebook tokens.

Defo worth a password reset!

A little over nine million keys used to redeem and activate games on the Steam platform were stolen by a hacker who breached a gaming news site last month.

The site, DLH.net, provides news, reviews, cheat codes, and forums, was breached on July 31 by an unnamed hacker, whose name isn't known but was also responsible for the Dota 2 forum breach. The site also allows users to share redeemable game keys through its forums, which along with the main site has around 3.3 million unique registered users, according to breach notification site LeakedSource.com, which obtained a copy of the database.

Full story in first post

24 Comments

Original Poster SuperEd

My money is on Illusionary being behind it. Next weeks giveaway is going to be awesome.

Cenobite

My money is on Illusionary being behind it. Next weeks giveaway is going … My money is on Illusionary being behind it. Next weeks giveaway is going to be awesome.

Robin Hood for the modern age?

goonertillidie

an unnamed hacker, whose name isn't known

As opposed to..?:D

Original Poster SuperEd

Quietus

As opposed to..?:D

Good point, that's what you get for skim reading then C&P

I got a 'account access attempt' email yesterday!

Changed password

might be a stupid question but can t
you use keys on another account after you have redeemed them?

Any idea why what's app hukd message is saying to reset my steam password? Surely you only need to if it matches (or I'd you even have) the account for this dlh.net site right? Or am I missing something?

Came here through HUKD whatsapp which makes it sound like Steam accounts have been hacked. However it's just this DLH website right?

Don't really understand the link between this site hack and my steam credentials. Anyone care to explain it for me?

Alien18

Came here through HUKD whatsapp which makes it sound like Steam accounts … Came here through HUKD whatsapp which makes it sound like Steam accounts have been hacked. However it's just this DLH website right?

That's what I was thinking, I took a quick look at the DLH site which now has an article that claims the report about them being hacked is faked anyway....

Silentja

Don't really understand the link between this site hack and my steam … Don't really understand the link between this site hack and my steam credentials. Anyone care to explain it for me?

I agree I'm 99% sure there is no link. I've never once put my steam details into DLH. Unless you use the same password for both that's the only way I can see it being a problem but if you use steam guard that's not a worry either. IT'S SCAREMONGERY I TELL YOU
It would be worth changing your Facebook password though if you have them linked.

Edited by: "marra" 19th Aug 2016

Silentja

Don't really understand the link between this site hack and my steam … Don't really understand the link between this site hack and my steam credentials. Anyone care to explain it for me?

It's only an issue if you used the DLH site - it seems it stored Steam usernames and didn't properly secure the passwords so I assume the hackers are using the Steam usernames to try and get into people's accounts. If you haven't used the DLH site or did use the DLH site but with a different password it shouldn't be an issue.

John

I never seen that DLH website (confused DHL delivery company). Glad I am safe with my steam account. But this is good news

my Playstation account was hacked yesterday and they spent £40 on 'neverwinter credit'... dont even know what that is

Password reset (random via lastpass )

9 million keys couldn't have been "stolen", even if they were compromised. Even if you wrote a bot it would take weeks to redeem them all.

Cenobite

My money is on Illusionary being behind it. Next weeks giveaway is going … My money is on Illusionary being behind it. Next weeks giveaway is going to be awesome.

Cenobite

Your Steam account cannot be hacked unless you authorise the transfer as any PC or Web browser needs to be authorised by an email code. So the hacker needs your email address, password and steam name and password.
If they try to buy through steam then they also need your paypal info and your mobile telephone.
I've had loads of requests in the past from random people for my account.

kester76

Your Steam account cannot be hacked unless you authorise the transfer as … Your Steam account cannot be hacked unless you authorise the transfer as any PC or Web browser needs to be authorised by an email code. So the hacker needs your email address, password and steam name and password.If they try to buy through steam then they also need your paypal info and your mobile telephone.I've had loads of requests in the past from random people for my account.

On the point re needing your mobile, that's dependent upon having a Steam Guard mobile authenticator set up, I believe?

Illusionary

On the point re needing your mobile, that's dependent upon having a Steam … On the point re needing your mobile, that's dependent upon having a Steam Guard mobile authenticator set up, I believe?

No that's different, my mobile SMS protection layer is setup with my paypal account. With steam it's a little dodgy as any account associated with that mobile number will share a VAC ban. I've never had a ban but my brother in-law got a random lifetime ban whilst playing a game online due to a game glitch. Also I don't rate Steam mobile Apps as I'm more likely to lose my mobile than my PC.

Not only have they been hacked, but have the gall to deny it and then call the author of the ZDnet article a 'jerk'. But when you go on DLH's site, you'll notice that your email / password combination mysteriously doesn't work, because they were forced to auto-reset everyone's accounts.

kester76

No that's different, my mobile SMS protection layer is setup with my … No that's different, my mobile SMS protection layer is setup with my paypal account. With steam it's a little dodgy as any account associated with that mobile number will share a VAC ban. I've never had a ban but my brother in-law got a random lifetime ban whilst playing a game online due to a game glitch. Also I don't rate Steam mobile Apps as I'm more likely to lose my mobile than my PC.

Ah, okay, yes. Ultimately it's the same sort of thing as I was looking to comment on, in that the SMS verification isn't a default option, but rather something that you've enabled on your account (and FWIW, I very much support using 2-factor authentication like this wherever possible).

Illusionary

Ah, okay, yes. Ultimately it's the same sort of thing as I was looking to … Ah, okay, yes. Ultimately it's the same sort of thing as I was looking to comment on, in that the SMS verification isn't a default option, but rather something that you've enabled on your account (and FWIW, I very much support using 2-factor authentication like this wherever possible).

I'm ok with SMS codes but I'm not a big fan of Online store apps. Especially annoys me that there's still no steam streaming support on android or IOS​.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
    3. word association Game74044544
    4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468

See more discussions