Expired

Mind - World Mental Health Day

Posted 18th Sep
mind.org.uk/donate/world-mental-health-day-2019

mind.org.uk/information-support/

mind.org.uk/inf…es/

You can call 0300 123 3393
Or text 86463

They also have a Blue Light Infoline for the emergency services which we also tend to forget that they can suffer with mental health issues as well.
0300 303 5999 (local rates)
bluelightinfo@mind.org.uk
Text: 84999

Mind is a cracking charity which is free for anyone to use but is an important lifeline to those in need of someone to talk to, somewhere to go or to get information and help for any problem they’re going through with their mental health. It’s also a good one stop for anyone who wants to help people with a mental health issue, friends, family even work colleagues. They have plenty of information and advice for those helping someone with mental health issues.

With world health day coming up thought I’d share this email from Mind for a cool £3 you get a badge and the thought of doing something nice. As a long term suffering of extreme mental health issues I believe in this strongly, and thought it would be nice to put up here for those interested.
I put £3 as the minimum as you can donate less but hey £3 ain’t much. There single payments and monthlies if you’re into that.

£3 could put our Find the Words guidebook in local GP surgeries, helping people to make the crucial first step of asking their doctor for support.

£8 could answer a call to our Infoline, providing someone with vital support and information about help in their area.

£21 could run our online peer support community Elefriends for an hour, helping people connect with others and feel less alone.

£50 could help us campaign for better mental health services from the Government, so more people get the support they need, as soon as they need it.

From the page
October 10 is World Mental Health Day, but we know that mental health problems can affect any of us, at any time. When you donate to Mind, you will receive a free badge to wear on World Mental Health Day.

Your support will help us make sure nobody faces a mental health problem alone. This offer ends on 30 September. Donate before then to get your badge.(y)
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
My mom lost her battle to depression 13 years ago and my girlfriend who supported me through those tough times and later became my wife last month lost her battle to cancer. Wirral mind supported me lots over the years and I was happy to give donations to our local mind shop. Mind are a fantastic charity with imo fantastic counselling support
37 Comments
Donated a lad I work with lost his mum a few months ago and said the service was invaluable when he was off work.
Edited by: "MonkeysUncle" 18th Sep
MonkeysUncle18/09/2019 20:17

Donated a lad I work with lost his mum a few months ago and said the …Donated a lad I work with lost his mum a few months ago and said the service was invaluable when he was off work.

Nice to here it’s helped someone sad they lost someone but it’s good to know it does help those in need. A shame this is in the discussion since it would get more help/awareness on the deal side of things.
DanSpaghetti18/09/2019 20:59

Nice to here it’s helped someone sad they lost someone but it’s good to kno …Nice to here it’s helped someone sad they lost someone but it’s good to know it does help those in need. A shame this is in the discussion since it would get more help/awareness on the deal side of things.

Thanks for sharing this
This is a cause I am happy to support.
Thanks for putting this in highlights appreciate it
My mom lost her battle to depression 13 years ago and my girlfriend who supported me through those tough times and later became my wife last month lost her battle to cancer. Wirral mind supported me lots over the years and I was happy to give donations to our local mind shop. Mind are a fantastic charity with imo fantastic counselling support
This part is more what the day is meant to be about ie help for those who need it, the donation should be a footnote mind.org.uk/inf…rt/
just had a someone mention something about depression today. good to have awareness out there
Donation can be Gift Aided too for income tax payers, meaning 25% more money for the charity!
Edited by: "Tjl694" 19th Sep
Don't rely on the Government or the NHS, lip service only, months between appointments and your GP is supposed to be an expert in everything, using multiple guess S/W to diagnose you.
thomasleep19/09/2019 13:38

This part is more what the day is meant to be about ie help for those who …This part is more what the day is meant to be about ie help for those who need it, the donation should be a footnote https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/

Yes but the donation for the badge to raise awareness ends the end of this month. This isn’t just about buying a badge but giving to a charity that helps, and getting people talking about it. I understand what you’re saying. But this is to make people take note World Mental Health Day is coming up, and to get people talking now. If it was up to me I’d get everyone always talking about it. It’s like cancer donations it shouldn’t be just about the donating but that’s what gets people talking about Macmillan and the likes. As you can see it’s already done that and now people can actually go “you know what I’ll take two seconds to see if x is okay” people could also get in touch with them for leaflets. Me dad who works for a build merchant put flyers at work and he was overwhelmed that big burly builders took them and spoke about and they asked how I was doing when he explained that it’s about raising awareness so people like me can receive more support, and others show more support in the work place or at home or wherever.
This is absolutely fine to post this I'd think, my brother has mental problems and my sister suffers with depression so definitely gonna take a look!
LukeyWolf19/09/2019 13:51

This is absolutely fine to post this I'd think, my brother has mental …This is absolutely fine to post this I'd think, my brother has mental problems and my sister suffers with depression so definitely gonna take a look!

That’s all it takes. Just look, learn and get advice. Appreciate the support.
DanSpaghetti19/09/2019 13:46

Yes but the donation for the badge to raise awareness ends the end of this …Yes but the donation for the badge to raise awareness ends the end of this month. This isn’t just about buying a badge but giving to a charity that helps, and getting people talking about it. I understand what you’re saying. But this is to make people take note World Mental Health Day is coming up, and to get people talking now. If it was up to me I’d get everyone always talking about it. It’s like cancer donations it shouldn’t be just about the donating but that’s what gets people talking about Macmillan and the likes. As you can see it’s already done that and now people can actually go “you know what I’ll take two seconds to see if x is okay” people could also get in touch with them for leaflets. Me dad who works for a build merchant put flyers at work and he was overwhelmed that big burly builders took them and spoke about and they asked how I was doing when he explained that it’s about raising awareness so people like me can receive more support, and others show more support in the work place or at home or wherever.

Well aware of all of that, I just prefer the donation punch line to be at the end and not straight off from the get go. Might make some think they need to donate to use the the service as people having a mental health crisis may not realise it is free as it is all about donating and not the actual service. Maybe you could add the link to the help page stating it is free in your post along with the donation links, could be helpful to somebody in need? Both parts of the site are as equally important.
I’m glad this has been moved to highlights as it’s already shown that it’s making people more aware and wanting learn or help. Genuinely appreciate the buzz this has created. It’s not me asking for donations by the way before anyone gets the wrong idea. Since having my diagnosis of, antisocial behaviour disorders, borderline personality, agoraphobia, severe depression and trying to take my own life this year it has brought a sense of value to know that strangers do care and do want to help. It’s not much but it’s a start. Once again thank you for supporting a great charity and cause.
thomasleep19/09/2019 13:56

Well aware of all of that, I just prefer the donation punch line to be at …Well aware of all of that, I just prefer the donation punch line to be at the end and not straight off from the get go. Might make some think they need to donate to use the the service as people having a mental health crisis may not realise it is free as it is all about donating and not the actual service. Maybe you could add the link to the help page stating it is free in your post along with the donation links, could be helpful to somebody in need? Both parts of the site are as equally important.

I agree and have now updated.
Nik1319/09/2019 14:14

Comment deleted

Brilliant appreciate that link and the support. It’s also useful for those cannot use a phone for whatever reason
ketsunoanna19/09/2019 13:44

Don't rely on the Government or the NHS, lip service only, months between …Don't rely on the Government or the NHS, lip service only, months between appointments and your GP is supposed to be an expert in everything, using multiple guess S/W to diagnose you.

A GP isn't an expert in everything but rather your first point of contact which is why they refer their patients to the experts for a full diagnosis/therapy. I found CBT provided by the NHS to be invaluable.
This is great to see on here. Ive been battling with mental illness for a couple of years now as a result of work related things. Mind is a fantastic charity. I can not begin to express the importance of talking about it and getting support. Ive been documenting my journey on Instagram (clarkeyslife) to show the truth of my day to day battles etc
Keep up the great work DanSpaghetti. It is vital we continue to raise awareness about issues surrounding mental health and get more people actively engaged in supporting those who desperately need it
FoO.ShAKeS19/09/2019 14:32

Keep up the great work DanSpaghetti. It is vital we continue to raise …Keep up the great work DanSpaghetti. It is vital we continue to raise awareness about issues surrounding mental health and get more people actively engaged in supporting those who desperately need it

Thank you for the support. This isn’t about me, I just wanted to share this and get people to get into the mindset of being more open and wanting to just say “hey I noticed you’re a bit off if you want to talk about anything I’ll be happy to listen” that can literally change someone’s day that they’re being noticed and someone wants to help.
I was never open about my mental health and always hid it. Had an absolute melt down and lost everything my job/partner/finances went to ****. Now I’m in a somewhat better place but still pushing forward. I have a good understanding of what people go through and the mindset. Mental health is never “if I can do it why can’t you” it’s literally the opposite, people can be the same but need different help/advice/guidance.
Edited by moderator: "removed blacklisted word" 19th Sep
Wirralbargains7719/09/2019 13:37

My mom lost her battle to depression 13 years ago and my girlfriend who …My mom lost her battle to depression 13 years ago and my girlfriend who supported me through those tough times and later became my wife last month lost her battle to cancer. Wirral mind supported me lots over the years and I was happy to give donations to our local mind shop. Mind are a fantastic charity with imo fantastic counselling support

Sorry to hear. Keep strong for the both of them
I have mental health issues, and theres alot of people on this site need help with that and they dont realise it.

Nothing wrong with getting help. That's the 1st step
Edited by: "BigDave_" 19th Sep
DanSpaghetti19/09/2019 14:49

Thank you for the support. This isn’t about me, I just wanted to share t …Thank you for the support. This isn’t about me, I just wanted to share this and get people to get into the mindset of being more open and wanting to just say “hey I noticed you’re a bit off if you want to talk about anything I’ll be happy to listen” that can literally change someone’s day that they’re being noticed and someone wants to help.I was never open about my mental health and always hid it. Had an absolute melt down and lost everything my job/partner/finances went to ****. Now I’m in a somewhat better place but still pushing forward. I have a good understanding of what people go through and the mindset. Mental health is never “if I can do it why can’t you” it’s literally the opposite, people can be the same but need different help/advice/guidance.

Having someone to talk to is always the help people need, mental health isn't the easiest of things to deal with but if people help each other everything can be good it's hard I know but
amy2003john19/09/2019 14:29

This is great to see on here. Ive been battling with mental illness for a …This is great to see on here. Ive been battling with mental illness for a couple of years now as a result of work related things. Mind is a fantastic charity. I can not begin to express the importance of talking about it and getting support. Ive been documenting my journey on Instagram (clarkeyslife) to show the truth of my day to day battles etc

I feel rude liking a post like that but I fully support you
MIND is a complete joke. Well my local one is at least.
Thanks for posting this
Just talking to someone and getting things off your chest is invaluable when dealing with stress, depression and other mental illnesses.
I was one who would never go to see the doctor and sitting down telling your problems to a stranger seemed ‘weak’, even telling family members was out of the question for me.
Eventually I was forced to go by my employee because I was stressed and angry with an idiot at work which I thought was ridiculous at the time.
Anyway I am now so glad I did go, I’m a lot happier these days, sleep better, smile more and laugh more. It was well worth it and these type of people do amazing work.
Don’t suffer in silence and ignore the ignorant people who don’t yet understand.
Once it’s sorted you can get on with your life again and things really DO get better, so keep at it. THE END.
FoO.ShAKeS19/09/2019 14:25

A GP isn't an expert in everything but rather your first point of contact …A GP isn't an expert in everything but rather your first point of contact which is why they refer their patients to the experts for a full diagnosis/therapy. I found CBT provided by the NHS to be invaluable.

In my case I had left it so long that being able to see a GP meant that you have improved enough to recognise you have a problem. CBT works on some people, in my case medication and rest seem to be working.
WowWowWeeWaa19/09/2019 20:57

Just talking to someone and getting things off your chest is invaluable …Just talking to someone and getting things off your chest is invaluable when dealing with stress, depression and other mental illnesses. I was one who would never go to see the doctor and sitting down telling your problems to a stranger seemed ‘weak’, even telling family members was out of the question for me. Eventually I was forced to go by my employee because I was stressed and angry with an idiot at work which I thought was ridiculous at the time. Anyway I am now so glad I did go, I’m a lot happier these days, sleep better, smile more and laugh more. It was well worth it and these type of people do amazing work. Don’t suffer in silence and ignore the ignorant people who don’t yet understand. Once it’s sorted you can get on with your life again and things really DO get better, so keep at it. THE END.

That chimes so much, thanks.
Cheers mate.
ketsunoanna20/09/2019 09:24

In my case I had left it so long that being able to see a GP meant that …In my case I had left it so long that being able to see a GP meant that you have improved enough to recognise you have a problem. CBT works on some people, in my case medication and rest seem to be working.

Glad to hear it. I also find a good night's sleep, spending more time with loved ones/friends, eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly do wonders to combat this illness. Now give me a hug
FoO.ShAKeS21/09/2019 00:46

Glad to hear it. I also find a good night's sleep, spending more time with …Glad to hear it. I also find a good night's sleep, spending more time with loved ones/friends, eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly do wonders to combat this illness. Now give me a hug

Started vaping CBD and really helps, does make me bump into things though
ketsunoanna21/09/2019 15:13

Started vaping CBD and really helps, does make me bump into things though …Started vaping CBD and really helps, does make me bump into things though

(lol)Yeah I keep headbutting the monitor too
DanSpaghetti19/09/2019 14:49

Thank you for the support. This isn’t about me, I just wanted to share t …Thank you for the support. This isn’t about me, I just wanted to share this and get people to get into the mindset of being more open and wanting to just say “hey I noticed you’re a bit off if you want to talk about anything I’ll be happy to listen” that can literally change someone’s day that they’re being noticed and someone wants to help.I was never open about my mental health and always hid it. Had an absolute melt down and lost everything my job/partner/finances went to ****. Now I’m in a somewhat better place but still pushing forward. I have a good understanding of what people go through and the mindset. Mental health is never “if I can do it why can’t you” it’s literally the opposite, people can be the same but need different help/advice/guidance.

Do find it great for someone pointing this out. I lost my partner back in August 2015 then her mother three weeks afterwards. To say this was a stressful time was an understatement especially when you feel at the time a 36 year old shouldn't have to deal with this stress. You don't always wish to talk to those around you no matter how much they support you and find it hard to have someone to talk it through with. I do admit my work was amazing in helping me find this group and supportive throughout. To top this off my sister also lost her husband at an early age and to feel you so "unlucky" as a family is hard to cope. As your typical male it's also hard to admit you need help and to not fall into any of the traps of alcohol or drugs as a feeling like you "coping" (it was my GP's first response of what drugs do you want). All I can say is yes, I'm "coping" and coming to terms but without them it could have been a different story. It also reminds those keyboard warriors in the world humans can be behind the AV's. Enough said and my niece got 11 A* in her GCSE's this year . Also know I'm not alone in this site for the same thoughts being shared from other members whom may also share the own stories
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 22nd Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants