mine or landlords responsibility?

14 replies
Found 3rd Apr 2009
I live in a rented property where the only appliance the landlord owns is the oven .

i was cooking in the oven the other day and the inside glass has come off , i called my landlord , and he came round and is telling me to get it fixed at my own expense ,,
1 . i have no idea who to even call
2. i thought it would be hes responsibility
3 any help apprieciated

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
14 Comments

as he owns the cooker i would imagine it was up to the landlord, depending on how the glass came off-did you hit it etc or did it just fall off

check your tenancy agreement as it should be in there

It should state in your contract who is responsible. I would say he is as any rented furnished/part furnished properties' contracts usually allows for a reasonable amount of wear and tear.

I assume from your post that the oven was in place when you moved in, in this case he has a responsibility to maintain and repair or replace if needed due to fair wear and tear not if you have been negligent.
youthinformation.com/Tem…802

This should help!

yes landlords responsibility defiantly

mikebike;4821620

I assume from your post that the oven was in place when you moved in, in … I assume from your post that the oven was in place when you moved in, in this case he has a responsibility to maintain and repair or replace if needed due to fair wear and tear not if you have been negligent. http://www.youthinformation.com/Templates/List.asp?NodeID=89802This should help!

concur

Original Poster

it just fell off, i have been in the property nearly 5 years , i was with a agency , but the agency stopped paying my landlord , so my landlord came to me and after alot of discussions with agency and landlord and my self we agreed i would pay my LL direct , so at the mo no contract has been drawn up with me and LL so i am a bit stuck , i ahve looked into it a bit and a new door is over £100, i havent got that kind of money

Original Poster

mikebike;4821620

I assume from your post that the oven was in place when you moved in, in … I assume from your post that the oven was in place when you moved in, in this case he has a responsibility to maintain and repair or replace if needed due to fair wear and tear not if you have been negligent. http://www.youthinformation.com/Templates/List.asp?NodeID=89802This should help!

great thank you , it was all in when moved in yes

but this is what i have just read

The Act states that where a short lease of less then seven years or … The Act states that where a short lease of less then seven years or periodic tenancy is in place then the landlord is responsible: (b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences) but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity, and

nikkit72;4821694

it just fell off, i have been in the property nearly 5 years , i was with … it just fell off, i have been in the property nearly 5 years , i was with a agency , but the agency stopped paying my landlord , so my landlord came to me and after alot of discussions with agency and landlord and my self we agreed i would pay my LL direct , so at the mo no contract has been drawn up with me and LL so i am a bit stuck , i ahve looked into it a bit and a new door is over £100, i havent got that kind of money

The legislation still applies even in this case the landlord has a legal responsibility to maintain the building to include all appliances in place when you moved in and it does not matter who was managing the accommodation as he owns the building!

nikkit72;4821703

great thank you , it was all in when moved in yesbut this is what i have … great thank you , it was all in when moved in yesbut this is what i have just read

Yes but owns the cooker so it is his responsibility!

Original Poster

ok cool thanks ,, i will get on to him

I take it the seal holding in the glass has worn away
as long as the glass is ok just get some high temperature oven sealant and dodge it back in
absealants.co.uk/cat…htm

should cost no more than £25

It is your landlord's responsibility to maintain it as the cooker belongs to him.
I don't know if it's gas or electric, but your landlord should have an annual gas safety check done on the property and this should also include gas appliances that belong to the landlord - so if the cooker is gas then this should also have been checked. Legally, you should have a copy of the gas cert. My tenants have one, I get one and the company who carry out the service keep one.
If it's electric, then by law it doesn't need to be checked unless you live in a HMO (House of Multiple Occupancy).

Original Poster

djnaff;4821842

I take it the seal holding in the glass has worn awayas long as the glass … I take it the seal holding in the glass has worn awayas long as the glass is ok just get some high temperature oven sealant and dodge it back inhttp://www.absealants.co.uk/category_2-6_High-Temperature-Resistant-Silicone.htmshould cost no more than £25

cool £7.36 + postage ,,, the only thing is cant quite wotk out how to take cooker door off , so need some thing like a big sink plunger to suck the door up while it sticks that may be a bit hard

his - hold back your rent, esp if you have children, you can't cook them hot meals!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions