Minecraft for PC (what and where to buy)?

Posted 8th Apr
I hope someone can help. My 10 year old son got a PC for Christmas and wants to play minecraft with his friends. I’d be happy if he could get it set up as he’ll be able to talk to his friends again.

Question 1: What version should he buy. I am assuming it is the Windows 10 version so he can play with friends on other platforms?

Question 2: Where should I but it from. I see it on Microsoft for £23, which seems expensive. I also see it on hotukdeals for about £4, but some of the buyers are saying the codes don’t work. Can someone suggest where I can buy for a reasonable price without having to worry about it being a con or creating a load of problems getting it to work?

Question 3: He is presently speaking to friends by phone. He has the PS4 headphones for talking to friends on PS4. What would I need to buy him so he can speak to friends using PC?

My PC knowledge is basic, so I’d rather pay more rather than have a load of hassle getting him up and running.

Any help really appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
Get Java Version not Win10 im assuming nobody uses Win10 version hence why you can get it cheap
Show me the picture if the headset with all cables, maybe even brand, usually any headset works on PC if it connects by USB or audiojack so have you tried that?
Edited by: "Norseg" 8th Apr
It's the windows 10 version for playing with friends on other platforms, I would probably buy a cheap code from a reputable seller in eBay. For headphones, if they're wired, you'll need a pair that have an connection for the microphone to work or if they're wireless, you shouldn't need any extra cables for the mic to work. Will he be using mouse and keyboard or a controller on PC?
Norseg08/04/2020 22:37

Get Java Version not Win10 im assuming nobody uses Win10 version hence why …Get Java Version not Win10 im assuming nobody uses Win10 version hence why you can get it cheapShow me the picture if the headset with all cables, maybe even brand, usually any headset works on PC if it connects by USB or audiojack so have you tried that?

Thanks. The headset he had is the standard wireless PS4 headset that normally costs around £50. The big black ones that are Bluetooth and sold.by Sony.

If his friends are in PS4 or Xbox, does he not need win10 version to play with them? I thought Java wouldn’t allow him to play with friends on other platforms?
philh77708/04/2020 22:41

Thanks. The headset he had is the standard wireless PS4 headset that …Thanks. The headset he had is the standard wireless PS4 headset that normally costs around £50. The big black ones that are Bluetooth and sold.by Sony.If his friends are in PS4 or Xbox, does he not need win10 version to play with them? I thought Java wouldn’t allow him to play with friends on other platforms?

If they are on PS4 or Xbox he’ll need the Windows 10 version. The Java version doesn’t work with consoles.

The java version in my opinion the the better version of minecraft, as in for mods. Before you used to be able to get a free Windows 10 Minecraft key for the Microsoft Store if you owned the Java version, I’ll do some research if that’s still possible.
hasnain08/04/2020 22:59

If they are on PS4 or Xbox he’ll need the Windows 10 version. The Java v …If they are on PS4 or Xbox he’ll need the Windows 10 version. The Java version doesn’t work with consoles. The java version in my opinion the the better version of minecraft, as in for mods. Before you used to be able to get a free Windows 10 Minecraft key for the Microsoft Store if you owned the Java version, I’ll do some research if that’s still possible.

Yes please. He has minecraft for the PS4 but wants it for the PC. I don’t mind paying a bit for the license, just didn’t want to jump at the £23 option and then find out you can get it quite easily for a tenner.
philh77708/04/2020 23:01

Yes please. He has minecraft for the PS4 but wants it for the PC. I don’t m …Yes please. He has minecraft for the PS4 but wants it for the PC. I don’t mind paying a bit for the license, just didn’t want to jump at the £23 option and then find out you can get it quite easily for a tenner.

40353886-OYWtw.jpg
From the looks of it, it is still there, I’ll have a look on my desktop too.
hasnain08/04/2020 23:06

[Image] From the looks of it, it is still there, I’ll have a look on my d …[Image] From the looks of it, it is still there, I’ll have a look on my desktop too.

Thanks. I’m a bit confused. You say he can get win10 if he has Java. I don’t think he has Java, just a disc that was bought from Amazon to play minecraft on PS4.
philh77708/04/2020 23:08

Thanks. I’m a bit confused. You say he can get win10 if he has Java. I d …Thanks. I’m a bit confused. You say he can get win10 if he has Java. I don’t think he has Java, just a disc that was bought from Amazon to play minecraft on PS4.

So I have Minecraft Java and bought it several years ago, when they released the Windows 10 version, people who have Java could get a Windows 10 key for free. From the looks of it, it’s still possible.
google.co.uk/amp…p=1

Here’s a link showing what I’m talking about, I’ll see if it still applies to this day for people who buy the game now.
Edited by: "hasnain" 8th Apr
I’ve had a look on an article and it’s only for people who had the Java version before October 19, 2018.
hasnain08/04/2020 23:16

I’ve had a look on an article and it’s only for people who had the Java ver …I’ve had a look on an article and it’s only for people who had the Java version before October 19, 2018.

Oh. Ok. Thanks anyhow.
I’ve had a look and the Windows 10 keys are super cheap, probably because people are just giving their keys that they received from what I said above, which reduces the value significantly
hasnain08/04/2020 23:23

I’ve had a look and the Windows 10 keys are super cheap, probably because p …I’ve had a look and the Windows 10 keys are super cheap, probably because people are just giving their keys that they received from what I said above, which reduces the value significantly

Is there any sites selling these that aren’t going to turn into hassle because the key has already been used. As I said, I’d rather pay more to avoid hassle with a dodgy key.
Kinguin.net are good, never had an issue with them, get the key instantly, I see there’s a voucher of AKS15 which reduces the price to £2.09
Ok thanks. I’ll give them a go. Appreciate the help.
It’ll automatically choose the best key seller on their list, it automatically chooses, global games, make sure you buy the correct key of course, and not an account, if it’s an account you’ll have issues in future.
philh77708/04/2020 22:41

Thanks. The headset he had is the standard wireless PS4 headset that …Thanks. The headset he had is the standard wireless PS4 headset that normally costs around £50. The big black ones that are Bluetooth and sold.by Sony.If his friends are in PS4 or Xbox, does he not need win10 version to play with them? I thought Java wouldn’t allow him to play with friends on other platforms?

Ahhh he'll need Win10 version for crossplay thought his friends

Also is the headset the Wireless Gold? If so i heard that works on PC if you plug the Wireless adapter USB what game with the headset into PC
hasnain08/04/2020 23:23

I’ve had a look and the Windows 10 keys are super cheap, probably because p …I’ve had a look and the Windows 10 keys are super cheap, probably because people are just giving their keys that they received from what I said above, which reduces the value significantly

They've always been cheap last year i saw them at 50p a couple times i think its because on PC if you arent interested in crossplay its all about Java because mods and servers
Norseg09/04/2020 11:47

Ahhh he'll need Win10 version for crossplay thought his friendsAlso is the …Ahhh he'll need Win10 version for crossplay thought his friendsAlso is the headset the Wireless Gold? If so i heard that works on PC if you plug the Wireless adapter USB what game with the headset into PC

Thanks. It is the PS4 gold wireless stereo set, but I think it is the older version, not the 2018 version.
philh777:

Thanks. It is the PS4 gold wireless stereo set, but I think it is the older version, not the 2018 version.

Try it, i think its any version
On PC a lot of stuff are univeraal btw since he has a PS4 theres ways to connect a PS4 controller to PC i think you can do wired or BT if you havw a BT Adapter (usually PCs dont come with it) i think the thing what comes with the Gold Wireless is a BT usb what is universal but idk

Also if you've got say a wheel,controller, headset usually they work even if its from last gen
Norseg09/04/2020 12:33

philh777:Thanks. It is the PS4 gold wireless stereo set, but I think it is …philh777:Thanks. It is the PS4 gold wireless stereo set, but I think it is the older version, not the 2018 version.Try it, i think its any version On PC a lot of stuff are univeraal btw since he has a PS4 theres ways to connect a PS4 controller to PC i think you can do wired or BT if you havw a BT Adapter (usually PCs dont come with it) i think the thing what comes with the Gold Wireless is a BT usb what is universal but idkAlso if you've got say a wheel,controller, headset usually they work even if its from last gen

Ok thanks. I’ll give it a go
philh77709/04/2020 12:34

Ok thanks. I’ll give it a go

Remember to switch the audio from monitor to Headset
Tell me if it works
Norseg09/04/2020 11:54

They've always been cheap last year i saw them at 50p a couple times i …They've always been cheap last year i saw them at 50p a couple times i think its because on PC if you arent interested in crossplay its all about Java because mods and servers

The windows 10 version has actually developed quite a lot recently and can support some mods now. And it also has a no port forwarding sever matcher between your Xbox friends. Though that is to a limit. I was quite surprised to see the progress from that version.

They dropped most likely as Microsoft we’re giving them out for free and probably crashed the prices. They have done it for the second time recently it was a limited number of keys afaik.
Norseg09/04/2020 13:17

Remember to switch the audio from monitor to HeadsetTell me if it works

Good point. I would have forgot that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions