Mineral vs Spring vs Tap

Posted 17th Nov
Does the bottled mineral water we buy from stores really have far greater benefits than spring or tap water? Hasn’t it been bottled for years by the time we purchase it? Are the mineral preserved for years?

What is the actual difference between the three?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
There was a bbc program about bottled water.

from it:
Evian is only one that is packaged on only 1 plant and it actually naturally derived hence the extra price.
Likes of nestle ones are bottled from normal tap water than have stuff added to it and therefore can be bottled anywhere in the world and makes it much cheaper.
Nothing wrong with normal water. Bottled water has had a huge impact on the environment due to careless people not disposing of the bottle correctly.
greenerideal.com/inf…es/
39011943.jpg
Edited by: "jat2474" 17th Nov
@sir786 You asked, "What is the actual difference between the three?"
There are huge differences that one can easily access on the internet.

You also asked. "..really have far greater benefits..?"
Answer is, "Yes, there are huge benefits...depending on what benefits and to whom?

For me, I drink tap water, and put tap water in plastic bottle to drink from. I use free bottled water when supplied free, say, in a hotel.

However, for a pleasant meal treat, drinking bottled cool sparkling Pellegrino is very refreshing.
Edited by: "splender" 17th Nov
I read Tap water has Fluoride added to it and having to much gives you side effects. They add it to prevent tooth decay, saves NHS money so don't be surprised if they say no side effects found. They say having to much is bad for you but none mention exactly how much is too much I wonder why. So hence why some people drink bottled and evian taste the best and also why some buy toothpaste without fluoride and some buy bottled because tap water doesn't taste great without looking at the benefits.
Edited by: "MR1123" 17th Nov
MR112317/11/2019 14:59

I read Tap water has Fluoride added to it and having to much gives you …I read Tap water has Fluoride added to it and having to much gives you side effects. They add it to prevent tooth decay, saves NHS money so don't be surprised if they say no side effects found. They say having to much is bad for you but none mention exactly how much is too much I wonder why. So hence why some people drink bottled and evian taste the best and also why some buy toothpaste without fluoride and some buy bottled because tap water doesn't taste great without looking at the benefits.

I work for a water company, we definitely do not add fluoride to the water. From what I can gather, the only place in the UK they do is a small bit of Birmingham. Everywhere else in the UK is fluoride free. Also worth noting that fluoride is naturally found in some water due to the catchment the water is collected in, so could very well be in the bottled water, depending on the source.
Edited by: "RadiantDuck" 17th Nov
We are all able discuss this because our ancestors drank tap water or well water or basically, anything available, without worrying about the contents. All these are modern "necessities" and only benefit corporations.
There was also a recent article that highlighted all water bottled in plastic bottles was contaminated with micro beads of plastic. Some with alarming high levels. The only way to avoid was to buy water bottled in glass.
RadiantDuck17/11/2019 15:08

I work for a water company, we definitely do not add fluoride to the …I work for a water company, we definitely do not add fluoride to the water. From what I can gather, the only place in the UK they do is a small bit of Birmingham. Everywhere else in the UK is fluoride free. Also worth noting that fluoride is naturally found in some water due to the catchment the water is collected in, so could very well be in the bottled water, depending on the source.

According to this website it's somewhat more widespread than that:

nhs.uk/con…de/

Around 5.8 million people in England receive fluoridated water. This means fluoride has been added to bring it up to around 1mg of fluoride per litre of water, which is a level found to reduce tooth decay levels.

The decision about whether to add fluoride to the water supply is made by individual local authorities. Areas where water fluoridation schemes are currently in place include parts of:

• the West Midlands
  • the North East
  • the East Midlands
  • Eastern England
  • the North West
  • Yorkshire and Humber
jat247417/11/2019 14:40

Nothing wrong with normal water. Bottled water has had a huge impact on …Nothing wrong with normal water. Bottled water has had a huge impact on the environment due to careless people not disposing of the bottle correctly.

I will never understand people like this. Yesterday in town I saw a discarded 6 pack of water bottles. Presumably someone had purchased it at the nearby Poundland, taken out and drunk one bottle, and then dumped the rest in a bin. What exactly is the mindset there? They can't bring themselves to buy a single bottle of water when they can get 6 for around the same price, but then immediately dump 5 full bottles (plus the outer wrapping plastic) in the bin? Bizarre.
Bottled Water = Bad for the Environment.
Simples!
Yes, it really is that simple.
And not very good for your wallet either.
Bottled water is the biggest con job this world has ever seen.
spoo17/11/2019 16:21

According to this website it's somewhat more widespread than …According to this website it's somewhat more widespread than that:https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fluoride/Around 5.8 million people in England receive fluoridated water. This means fluoride has been added to bring it up to around 1mg of fluoride per litre of water, which is a level found to reduce tooth decay levels.The decision about whether to add fluoride to the water supply is made by individual local authorities. Areas where water fluoridation schemes are currently in place include parts of:the West Midlandsthe North Eastthe East MidlandsEastern Englandthe North West Yorkshire and Humber

Fair enough, things must have changed since last I looked. My experience is in Wales and the south west, no fluoride is dosed there.

Just checked, and the following water companies dose it:

Anglian Water Services Ltd
Northumbrian Water Ltd
South Staffordshire Water plc
Severn Trent plc
United Utilities Water plc
splender17/11/2019 14:50

@sir786 You asked, "What is the actual difference between the three?"There …@sir786 You asked, "What is the actual difference between the three?"There are huge differences that one can easily access on the internet. You also asked. "..really have far greater benefits..?"Answer is, "Yes, there are huge benefits...depending on what benefits and to whom?For me, I drink tap water, and put tap water in plastic bottle to drink from. I use free bottled water when supplied free, say, in a hotel.However, for a pleasant meal treat, drinking bottled cool sparkling Pellegrino is very refreshing.

"However, for a pleasant meal treat, drinking bottled cool SPARKLING PELLEGRINO is very refreshing."

Love a bottle of the "Badoit" myself. Though supplies have really dried up!
Mineral water comes from a named source and has a steady mineral content over time. Spring water comes from a named source, but the mineral content fluctuates. Any other labeling, such as table water or anything else, can be any water, including and quite likely to be tap water.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions