Groups

Mini netbook

Thinking of buying my little one, one of the mini 7" netbooks that are kicking bout for about £100, similar to EEPC.

He plays on cbeebies, moshi monsters and itunes, any advice if these are suitable as most say they don't support flash sites such as iplayer but don't know if that's relevent.

Thanks for any help as i obviously don't have a clue.

If they are suitable recommendations of particular ones to get or avoid are also welcome.

7 Comments

THe cheap ones are a waste of money, they dont run a proper version of windows or even linux, just windows mobile AFAIK, many websites wont work due to the use of flash on them cbeebies is heavily flash based.. Support for them is next to nothing.

Best getting a full netbook used if that is your budget.

I despise netbooks, you get much better value with a 'proper laptop'. As harlzter noted, many kids games and websites are heavily flash based which require a decent computer to run them without any frustrating lag.

If you do have to buy a netbook, make sure it has a version of Windows installed on it. You can install Windows on a netbook that doesn't come with it yourself, but if you aren't technically savvy or don't own a legit copy of Windows then don't do that.

How old is the person who is going to be using it? My neices are 4 and they know how to use a laptop and browse the web, but I'd never buy them a laptop/netbook for themselves for years yet, I'd just teach them how to use the family computer and set certain times and controls on when and how they can use it.

WaxMechaniK

I despise netbooks, you get much better value with a 'proper laptop'.

I disagree with that generalization, a lot of net-books now are as powerful as mainstream laptops, the only thing cut down is screen size and no optical drive, which for me is a bonus. I have a Samsung N130 and its fast enough for what I use it for, no you aren't going to be running photo-shop or the latest games, but thats the point, net-books are made to be lightweight and ultra portable for use on the go ie. emails and general browsing, online flash games and youtube etc are fine.

For most people these are a second machine for portable use. They keep the high end laptop or a desktop at home.

harlzter

I disagree with that generalization, a lot of net-books now are as … I disagree with that generalization, a lot of net-books now are as powerful as mainstream laptops, the only thing cut down is screen size and no optical drive, which for me is a bonus. I have a Samsung N130 and its fast enough for what I use it for, no you aren't going to be running photo-shop or the latest games, but thats the point, net-books are made to be lightweight and ultra portable for use on the go ie. emails and general browsing, online flash games and youtube etc are fine.For most people these are a second machine for portable use. They keep the high end laptop or a desktop at home.

In general, I still believe full blown laptops offer better value than netbooks, and yes that's a generalisation. Netbooks can offer exactly what many users need, plus the advantage of being ultra portable and lightweight, so I do agree that this does increase the value of a netbook. Most people who I have talked to with netbooks have all agreed that after using the netbook for a while, they realise the screen size is just far too small, and many websites and programs still aren't suited to such a tiny screen, regardless of who is using it.

So then I guess it depends on who is using it. Plus, it's important to understand the long term life of a computer; a higher spec should last you longer. I think in the OP's situation, personally I would avoid buying a netbook for a little one, however I'm sure both the person who purchases it and the person who uses it will still be pleased, I just think they could do better in terms of value and longevity.

I agree with Harlzter. My children have AcerAspire One netbooks - which run on Linux and is ideal for web-browsing, youtube, playing Club Penguin (horror of horrors!) and using Fbook, msn etc. Also has OpenOffice for word processing and some pre-installed fun games etc. Suits them just fine!

Original Poster

WaxMechaniK

I despise netbooks, you get much better value with a 'proper laptop'. As … I despise netbooks, you get much better value with a 'proper laptop'. As harlzter noted, many kids games and websites are heavily flash based which require a decent computer to run them without any frustrating lag.If you do have to buy a netbook, make sure it has a version of Windows installed on it. You can install Windows on a netbook that doesn't come with it yourself, but if you aren't technically savvy or don't own a legit copy of Windows then don't do that.How old is the person who is going to be using it? My neices are 4 and they know how to use a laptop and browse the web, but I'd never buy them a laptop/netbook for themselves for years yet, I'd just teach them how to use the family computer and set certain times and controls on when and how they can use it.

My son is eight, but i don't like him using my computer, i want one thing i the house that's mine, probably selfish, but i means i don't have to wory about him using my credit card details to buy something.

I love my netbook, but, like everyone said you can probably get better specs with a full blown laptop, but a netbook would be good for her, as the smaller keys would not affect her typing, and it's ultra portable, which is what you pay for at the end of the day.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tesco Recalls 1,000's of products!​22
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764332
      3. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831429
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846229

See more discussions