Mini-pci wireless 11g card & soldering

3 replies
Found 13th Sep 2007
5 Year old Toshiba laptop, recently replaced its 40gb hdd with a £30 80gb hdd, all going fine, however the wireless pc card which sticks out the side has poor reception due to the tiny aerial inside it.

However this make of laptop had wireless options built in on certain models, just not in this one unfortunately, when I opened the mini pci bay I noticed two wires just above the mini pci slot, which must be the tx/rx cables for the antenna which goes around the screen which would provide far superior wifi signals than the pc card.

Question is, I never solder but I do have an old bekin thing i could use and I have no soldering metal...

Can i just warm the tips of the antenna wire tips to the mini pci card once installed?

4 Comments

Original Poster

Any electrical experts about?

You don't normally need to solder the antennae cables for mini pci wireless cards, they just plug in.

John

Original Poster

Looking at pictures of wireless mini pci cards (i should look in current wireless laptops i suppose) the gold points for tx/rx antenna connections just seem like flat surfaces, no plug in of any kind, so it seems.

Original Poster

Having a closer look now you are right, they are tiny plug in antenna ends, i never turned them over to see :oops:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. One4all gift cards can only be converted to Amazon codes until MIDNIGHT TON…11
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming2745
    3. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21132
    4. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games11

See more discussions