Groups
    EXPIRED

Mini radiators..

My radiator is pants in my bedroom and I was looking to buy a mini radiator.

I was just worried though that if I got an oil filled one it would be rubbish with electricity.

Has anyone got any recommendations.

Was thinking about this one, link below..

32 Comments

Banned

what do you mean by pants? it aint working? it aint bug enough? is it gas central heating?

Original Poster

sassie;7183465

what do you mean by pants? it aint working? it aint bug enough? is it … what do you mean by pants? it aint working? it aint bug enough? is it gas central heating?

It's gas central heating. The radiator is not very good but I have to put my bed against it as that's the only place I can fit my bed in the room so a lot of heat is blocked off from the bed being in the way.

Banned

to be honest its probably going to be better in the long run to get it moved then, dont know how much plumbers are, but dont think electric rads are cheap to run

Original Poster

sassie;7183509

to be honest its probably going to be better in the long run to get it … to be honest its probably going to be better in the long run to get it moved then, dont know how much plumbers are, but dont think electric rads are cheap to run

Plumbers cost a bomb or so i'd imagine.

If only littlewoods did plumbers!

Original Poster

The radiator claims to be "green" and saves energy. How true that is, I don't know.

Banned

Rhianne;7183532

Plumbers cost a bomb or so i'd imagine.If only littlewoods did plumbers! … Plumbers cost a bomb or so i'd imagine.If only littlewoods did plumbers!

phone around a few and get a few free quotes, you may be surprised, ask around friends and family to see if anyone knows any, you not gonna lose anythig by asking

I was looking at this one that seemed to have a good review and had a timer ]http//ww…mer

Also if you want to get your rad moved its a lot cheaper if you have a stop valve (tap) you can turn just that rad off so they dont need to drain the whole system from what i remember but this was a long time ago.

oil filled ones keeps radiating heat even after you've switched the power off to it there got to be economic to some extent

I picked up one from B&Q last year and the box said it cost 2p per hour on average to run.

You don't need to use them constantly though

Original Poster

Chuckles1001;7183596

Also if you want to get your rad moved its a lot cheaper if you have a … Also if you want to get your rad moved its a lot cheaper if you have a stop valve (tap) you can turn just that rad off so they dont need to drain the whole system from what i remember but this was a long time ago.

I wouldn't know what a stop valve was if it bit me in the bum!

Here's the problem though, I've got 4 walls (obviously) one is curved as I think Helen Keller plastered that one. One has the boiler cupboard on it then it goes back and then back again like steps if you know what I mean. The other wall is where the TV unit is and the wall where the radiator is has a window in the middle.

Bit of a nightmare really! So can't move the radiator anywhere.

Original Poster

RedIron;7183637

I picked up one from B&Q last year and the box said it cost 2p per hour … I picked up one from B&Q last year and the box said it cost 2p per hour on average to run.You don't need to use them constantly though

Any good though, do they heat up quick and keep the room warm?

Original Poster

umanga;7183597

oil filled ones keeps radiating heat even after you've switched the power … oil filled ones keeps radiating heat even after you've switched the power off to it there got to be economic to some extent

True true

Banned

Littlewoods? HOpe you're not thinking of paying weekly, probably why you're living in such a **** house in the first place (stereotyping - live with it)

on a positive note have you tried bleeding it to make sure there's no trapped air?

Original Poster

lumoruk;7183779

Littlewoods? HOpe you're not thinking of paying weekly, probably why … Littlewoods? HOpe you're not thinking of paying weekly, probably why you're living in such a **** house in the first place (stereotyping - live with it)on a positive note have you tried bleeding it to make sure there's no trapped air?

What the ****?

Rhianne;7183719

I wouldn't know what a stop valve was if it bit me in the bum!Here's the … I wouldn't know what a stop valve was if it bit me in the bum!Here's the problem though, I've got 4 walls (obviously) one is curved as I think Helen Keller plastered that one. One has the boiler cupboard on it then it goes back and then back again like steps if you know what I mean. The other wall is where the TV unit is and the wall where the radiator is has a window in the middle.Bit of a nightmare really! So can't move the radiator anywhere.

You know where you turn each radiator on the little tap so you can turn each one on and off sperately? if there is a bit of pipe that has a screw init near the rad, for expample

Rad -> Tap (All Rads have these its on the pipe that goes into the Rad) -> Screw in the copper pipe

that help?

Original Poster

Chuckles1001;7183819

You know where you turn each radiator on the little tap so you can turn … You know where you turn each radiator on the little tap so you can turn each one on and off sperately? if there is a bit of pipe that has a screw init near the rad, for expampleRad -> Tap (All Rads have these its on the pipe that goes into the Rad) -> Screw in the copper pipethat help?

I need to move my bed to see the bottom of the radiator.

I will keep that in mind though and get my boyfriend to do it in the morning

Rhianne;7183809

What the ****?

Bleeding is a very good idea, this is what the key looks like http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/bleed%20key.jpg

If the top of the radiator is not as hot as the bottom, you should bleed it the keys are about a £1 from places like wilkinsons and B&Q, all you need to do is put it in the radiator top you will see the hole. while the rads are on and get a towel then turn the key you will hear air coming out when the water starts coming out do the key back up, dont open the key all the way up just a little at a time until you hear the air coming out then you wont get much water coming out.

The reason you do it while the rads are on is the pressure pushes the water out basically

Rhianne;7183849

I need to move my bed to see the bottom of the radiator.I will keep that … I need to move my bed to see the bottom of the radiator.I will keep that in mind though and get my boyfriend to do it in the morning :pThanks :-D

If you do have the screw before the tap your BF should be able to turn it off (to stop the water) then you can just get a new rad and put it in yourself quite easily, but a lot of rads dont have the screw you might be lucky

Original Poster

Chuckles1001;7183897

Bleeding is a very good idea, this is what the key looks like If the top … Bleeding is a very good idea, this is what the key looks like If the top of the radiator is not as hot as the bottom, you should bleed it the keys are about a £1 from places like wilkinsons and B&Q, all you need to do is put it in the radiator top you will see the hole. while the rads are on and get a towel then turn the key you will hear air coming out when the water starts coming out do the key back up, dont open the key all the way up just a little at a time until you hear the air coming out then you wont get much water coming out.The reason you do it while the rads are on is the pressure pushes the water out basically

I am offended at the fact you said I live in a **** house. :w00t:

It's been bled many a time. It's just rubbish.

Rhianne;7183933

I am offended at the fact you said I live in a **** house. :w00t:It's … I am offended at the fact you said I live in a **** house. :w00t:It's been bled many a time. It's just rubbish.

fair enough to the bleeding, but where did i say you live in a **** house????? lol

Original Poster

Chuckles1001;7184000

fair enough to the bleeding, but where did i say you live in a **** … fair enough to the bleeding, but where did i say you live in a **** house????? lol

Sorry, not you, the other person up the top of this page.

That's me watching telly and typing on here at the same time!

:gift: accept this gift as my apology!

Banned

Chuckles1001;7184000

fair enough to the bleeding, but where did i say you live in a **** … fair enough to the bleeding, but where did i say you live in a **** house????? lol

i did :whistling:

Original Poster

lumoruk;7184030

:x

Not nice.

Rhianne;7184022

Sorry, not you, the other person up the top of this page.That's me … Sorry, not you, the other person up the top of this page.That's me watching telly and typing on here at the same time! :gift: accept this gift as my apology!

Stuff the present BAR HUMBUG, just Rep me for being so mean :whistling::santa:

lumoruk;7184030

Dam you for getting me in trouble for being helpful lol

Banned

Rhianne;7184056

:xNot nice.

its cool, least you haven't got mould in yours like my **** house :thumbsup:

Original Poster

lumoruk;7184069

its cool, least you haven't got mould in yours like my **** house … its cool, least you haven't got mould in yours like my **** house :thumbsup:

It's gotta be warm for mould to grow, too cold in here!

At least you're warm!

Hi, I have this one littlewoods.com/rf/…034 cheaper than the one you were looking at and I think it is really good. I put it on for about half hour in the morning in my living room and it warms up so quickly that I can turn it off after then and the room stays warm. Hope this helps xx

Original Poster

mummylace;7186889

Hi, I have this one … Hi, I have this one http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/p.do/oil-filled-radiator-with-timer-in-white-sh1015?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&SNtt=oli+filled+radiator&groupId=446632034&Nu=this_product&SNtk=generic_search&Np=1&SN=103+85&Ntt=446632034&D=446632034&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&thisprod=446632034&Nty=1&Mis_item_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=446632034 cheaper than the one you were looking at and I think it is really good. I put it on for about half hour in the morning in my living room and it warms up so quickly that I can turn it off after then and the room stays warm. Hope this helps xx

Thanks!

That's the one i've ordered!

Repped

Rhianne;7187650

Thanks!That's the one i've ordered!Repped

Cool! It is good and it is is quite slim so doesn't take up too much space! Has a timer on it too so you can set it before you get up and then should be nice and warm in your room :-D Happy Christmas :santa:

Banned

if you get a new radiator get a double one and insulate the wall with the silver foilkits you get before you put it back. otherwise you are paying twice to heat the same space- and it may get TOO hot
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Recommend a free reminder app57
      2. How to cancel Virgin Media?811
      3. O2 rewards signed up after top up, still ok?11
      4. Avoiding Car hire excess (Tenerife)911

See more discussions