Minor Car Collision Question

Found 28th Feb
Hi guys,

So long story short, I was stationary at a traffic light controlled roundabout after coming off a motorway slip road and the van of a known TV/Broadband provider struck the rear of my car I believe.

So, I got out and inspected the car for the guy to say "Oh did I hit you?" to which I said yeah I believe.

We pulled up at a safe place and I got his details and he then asked for mine which I don't know if suspicious or not? There isn't any visible damage but I'm going to get my car inspected to see if there's any damage underneath the body mechanically but looks OK.

Is there anything else I should do in the mean time? I'm suspicious at how little he said and how he was just interested in my details. I noticed he had a dashcam facing forwards and I also have a forward facing one which shows me stationary and an unknown noise but no footage of the impact itself.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
We pulled up at a safe place and I got his details and he then asked for mine which I don't know if suspicious or not?

That's not suspicious at all, he'd need to tell his insurance your details to tell them of an accident.. As is required even if no claim is being done.

Have you phoned your insurer to tell them? i'd say that was the best first step if you haven't, even if it turns out there is no damage and no claim to be made it'll look very suspicious if the other driver tell his and says he's been in an accident with you and you haven't said anything.

The insurance company will tell you any steps to take in accordance to their procedures rather than just asking a forum
fanpages1 h, 46 m ago

Not knowing your own details does sound very suspicious. I believe.

I also believe.

Glad to have you on board, bro.

33350037-u5oMn.jpg
24 Comments
We pulled up at a safe place and I got his details and he then asked for mine which I don't know if suspicious or not?

That's not suspicious at all, he'd need to tell his insurance your details to tell them of an accident.. As is required even if no claim is being done.

Have you phoned your insurer to tell them? i'd say that was the best first step if you haven't, even if it turns out there is no damage and no claim to be made it'll look very suspicious if the other driver tell his and says he's been in an accident with you and you haven't said anything.

The insurance company will tell you any steps to take in accordance to their procedures rather than just asking a forum
Agree with the above, if the guy finds damage they would contact your insurance and if you hadn’t that can cause you issues even if you don’t claim. Companies may not claim on their insurance but others might do same goes for any accident.
Edited by: "eslick" 28th Feb
Pretty much agree with Winifer.

Plus; ensure you are not alone with them one on one, lock your car and then point out your dashcam to the other driver in a situation like this. Point out it's front and rear facing. Tell them it's an HD picture to pick up number plates clearly and that you have a nice large SD card in there so you wont be overwriting the footage.

Scam artists will know they have met their match. Be wary of unlocking the car unless they have gone away or you have witnesses in case they want to remove it form your car.
Don’t be too suspicious at this stage. Rule number 1 of any collision is do not accept liability. He needs your full details to give to his employer to then give to the insurance company in the event of an insurance claim.
Try googling his details to confirm that the address is real and 192 on his name to see if you can make a match. If you want further confirmation his details are legitimate you could also look at the electoral role which is in the public domain.
The van is obviously owned by the company and that gives more credibility rather than just an individualdriving without insurance and giving you false details.
winifer10 m ago

We pulled up at a safe place and I got his details and he then asked for …We pulled up at a safe place and I got his details and he then asked for mine which I don't know if suspicious or not?That's not suspicious at all, he'd need to tell his insurance your details to tell them of an accident.. As is required even if no claim is being done.Have you phoned your insurer to tell them? i'd say that was the best first step if you haven't, even if it turns out there is no damage and no claim to be made it'll look very suspicious if the other driver tell his and says he's been in an accident with you and you haven't said anything.The insurance company will tell you any steps to take in accordance to their procedures rather than just asking a forum

Toptrumpet4 m ago

Don’t be too suspicious at this stage. Rule number 1 of any collision is d …Don’t be too suspicious at this stage. Rule number 1 of any collision is do not accept liability. He needs your full details to give to his employer to then give to the insurance company in the event of an insurance claim. Try googling his details to confirm that the address is real and 192 on his name to see if you can make a match. If you want further confirmation his details are legitimate you could also look at the electoral role which is in the public domain.The van is obviously owned by the company and that gives more credibility rather than just an individualdriving without insurance and giving you false details.

...assuming he gave his personal address, & not the details of his employer/employer's insurance company.
Toptrumpet1 h, 1 m ago

Don’t be too suspicious at this stage. Rule number 1 of any collision is d …Don’t be too suspicious at this stage. Rule number 1 of any collision is do not accept liability. He needs your full details to give to his employer to then give to the insurance company in the event of an insurance claim. Try googling his details to confirm that the address is real and 192 on his name to see if you can make a match. If you want further confirmation his details are legitimate you could also look at the electoral role which is in the public domain.The van is obviously owned by the company and that gives more credibility rather than just an individualdriving without insurance and giving you false details.

Agreed - no need to even get into a discussion about Liability at the roadside.
Literally exchange details and nothing more - its down to the insurance to decide on liability after evidence has been received from both parties.

I wonder though, if you did happen to admit liability through panic - could you deny it later and it becomes a "their word against mine" scenareo. Similarly, if they diddn't admit liability and you told the insurance they actually did (immoral but ignore that for now) - is that another case of "their word against mine"?
118luke20 m ago

Agreed - no need to even get into a discussion about Liability at the …Agreed - no need to even get into a discussion about Liability at the roadside. Literally exchange details and nothing more - its down to the insurance to decide on liability after evidence has been received from both parties. I wonder though, if you did happen to admit liability through panic - could you deny it later and it becomes a "their word against mine" scenareo. Similarly, if they diddn't admit liability and you told the insurance they actually did (immoral but ignore that for now) - is that another case of "their word against mine"?

Like you say, i doubt anything said at the roadside would be legally binding unless on camera or in front of an independent witness, and even then i think it would be unreliable as evidence imo.
fanpages1 h, 46 m ago

I also believe.

Glad to have you on board, bro.

33350037-u5oMn.jpg
The good news is if there is no visual damage to either vehicle then I doubt there will be other damage either!.

You're supposed to report it to your insurance, If you're not making a claim yourself then there will be no excess involved etc. If he makes a claim it'll be him at fault anyway so he would need to claim it off his own insurance, Not yours, He'd also have to pay his excess etc.. If he tried to make a claim against you which is highly unlikely since he's liable then it really wouldn't be difficult to prove he was at fault.

If you report it then come renewal time your premium is likely to increase, However you could easily change insurance companies as you wouldn't have to include it in your quote unless they were to make a claim against you, Which is unlikely.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 28th Feb
Are you sure your back doesn't hurt?
My experience:

I once came out from a bank and the side of my car had been keyed. I phoned my insurance company who sent me through a claim form. I decided to do nothing about the claim. On my next insurance renewal I changed my insurance company and made no mention of the incident, 3 weeks after I received a letter stating I hadn't divulged an incident on my application. However much I protested I had 'malicious damage £0 cost' on my insurance history for 3 or 5 years
Edited by: "OllieSt" 28th Feb
OllieSt48 m ago

My experience:I once came out from a bank and the side of my car had been …My experience:I once came out from a bank and the side of my car had been keyed. I phoned my insurance company who sent me through a claim form. I decided to do nothing about the claim. On my next insurance renewal I changed my insurance company and made no mention of the incident, 3 weeks after I received a letter stating I hadn't divulged an incident on my application. However much I protested I had 'malicious damage £0 cost' on my insurance history for 3 or 5 years

That's why I felt people advising him to notify his insurance right away, may not have thought it through.
ccnp5 h, 52 m ago

Pretty much agree with Winifer. Plus; ensure you are not alone with them …Pretty much agree with Winifer. Plus; ensure you are not alone with them one on one, lock your car and then point out your dashcam to the other driver in a situation like this. Point out it's front and rear facing. Tell them it's an HD picture to pick up number plates clearly and that you have a nice large SD card in there so you wont be overwriting the footage. Scam artists will know they have met their match. Be wary of unlocking the car unless they have gone away or you have witnesses in case they want to remove it form your car.

Don’t say anything about the camera, scammers would think nothing of smashing your windows and may be armed. Play along with it and call the police, when the police arrive declare you have the dashcam.
OllieSt3 h, 44 m ago

My experience:I once came out from a bank and the side of my car had been …My experience:I once came out from a bank and the side of my car had been keyed. I phoned my insurance company who sent me through a claim form. I decided to do nothing about the claim. On my next insurance renewal I changed my insurance company and made no mention of the incident, 3 weeks after I received a letter stating I hadn't divulged an incident on my application. However much I protested I had 'malicious damage £0 cost' on my insurance history for 3 or 5 years

Happened to me on a buildings insurance claim. Gale force winds knocked over the back garden fence. I called the insurer to make a claim. They said that garden fences are not covered for buildings insurance. However as I have called to report the incident, it will still count as a claim on my policy even though it is not covered. WTF

Insurers are real rip off merchants
If someone goes into the back of you it's 100% their fault. But it still puts your insurance up as you were involved In a accident.

that's.why people settle by paying for damage out of their pocket.

cars are quite solid things, If you cant see any crash damage then there is none.
how can your car be damaged if your bumper isn't damaged. make sure you don't get fobbed off by garage monkeys.

I have straightened quite a few cars out on a jig before, every single one has had serious panel damage. And usually rear quarters, or side damage.
By reading what you have put you don't even have a mis aligned bumper. Have a look near the rear wheel arches, your Bumper will have popped out and be slightly raised if it had any impact to effect it. If it looks normal and flush trust me there is an impossibility of any other damage.
Like this.

33353142-1MHBu.jpg
all a garage does to that is press it back on, maybe using a 10p clip if needed. If your bumper is like that press on it and they usually clip back in. you might have to whack it with our hand to do so.

As long as you didnt utter the dreaded word "Sorry" then you should be fine.
Had virtually the same situation last year. Stationary traffic, auto car behind, foot slipped off brake, gently bumped into my rear at 1mph. Did the usual actions, exchange details, photos etc.
Spoke to my insurer, explained that there was no damage/injury or claim coming from either party. Logged as a 'notification'. I did this as I have some experience of a friend who had a gentle bump in queuing traffic and spent the next 3 years fighting a whiplash claim from the driver and 2 non-existent passengers.
I can tell you for sure that the notification is circulated onto other insurers as it was flagged up at renewal time last week when I was getting new quotes. Therefore, you have to declare it on any proposal. Some of the comparison sites differentiate between a claim and an 'incident' which has been notified. And surprise, surprise it effects your premium. In my case, it added £40 to the premium. Really annoying. But, if you don't declare it, potentially, your insurer can walk away from your claim.
How did you get on with this OP
Original Poster
MonkeysUncle42 m ago

How did you get on with this OP

Chees for the responses guys.

Nothing came of it and all is sorted now. Confirmed no damage to either vehicle and insurance said they'll look out for anything from the other guys insurers.
That's great.
J
calum.c5 h, 41 m ago

Chees for the responses guys.Nothing came of it and all is sorted now. …Chees for the responses guys.Nothing came of it and all is sorted now. Confirmed no damage to either vehicle and insurance said they'll look out for anything from the other guys insurers.

Just be prepared for your premium to increase come renewal time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants