Mirrorless Camera Help

Posted 26th Jun
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could offer some guidance with buying a decent all round mirrorless camera. It would mostly be used for travelling/holidays but also sometimes out and about. My current budget is around £500 for the body and lens. I’m currently struggling to decide between
  • Sony A6000 Compact System Camera with 16-50mm OSS Lens (£450)
  • PANASONIC Lumix DMC-G7EB-K Mirrorless Camera with 14-42 mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (£450)
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX15EB-K Digital Compact Camera with LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMILUX/11 Lens (£375)
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80KEBK Compact System Camera with Lumix G Vario 12-32mm lens (£365)
  • Olympus E‑M10 Mark III 14-42 Kit + 45mm 1.8 lens (£400)
  • Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III with 14-42mm and 40-150mm R Lenses (£500)

Thanks for any help!!
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I managed to get an a6000 for around £250 of Facebook market place a end of 2018/ start of 2019. It had a low shutter count, and the guy threw in a light weight tripod (think was £45 RRP) and a small carrying case.

Ended up selling it 8 months later for £230 for the camera and kit lens.

It was a great camera, but the view finder was fairly cheap, as it's digital and not optical (like my old canon d70).
I just didn't use it much as I only had the single lens and wanted to downgrade to something lite.

Now I just stick to my phone.

So if you're not completely against used. You could get a decent camera and money saved for an additional lens.
Edited by: "kos1c" 26th Jun
kos1c26/06/2020 16:19

I managed to get an a6000 for around £250 of Facebook market place a end …I managed to get an a6000 for around £250 of Facebook market place a end of 2018/ start of 2019. It had a low shutter count, and the guy threw in a light weight tripod (think was £45 RRP) and a small carrying case. Ended up selling it 8 months later for £230 for the camera and kit lens. It was a great camera, but the view finder was fairly cheap, as it's digital and not optical (like my old canon d70). I just didn't use it much as I only had the single lens and wanted to downgrade to something lite. Now I just stick to my phone.So if you're not completely against used. You could get a decent camera and money saved for an additional lens.

Thanks for that. I’m not really sure what to look for in used cameras and how to see whether they’re good value for money. That’s why I think I prefer going for a camera that’s on sale.

Would you say that optical viewfinders are usually better than digital viewfinders?

Also do you have any other bad features to look out for?
Mirrorless cameras all have digital viewfinders (or no viewfinder). the mirror is what lets you see what the sensor will see in a dslr and the mirror flips up out of the way for the pic to be taken.
mas9926/06/2020 16:48

Mirrorless cameras all have digital viewfinders (or no viewfinder). the …Mirrorless cameras all have digital viewfinders (or no viewfinder). the mirror is what lets you see what the sensor will see in a dslr and the mirror flips up out of the way for the pic to be taken.

Some mirrorless cameras do have an optical or hybrid viewfinder, such as in the Fuji X-Pro and X100 cameras.
I got the A6000 in 2017 and am very pleased. For travelling I’d definitely recommend swapping the kit lens for an 18-135mm or something as 50mm isn’t quite long enough (IMO). I made the mistake and got the 55-210mm and constantly changing annoys those I’m travelling with.

All that said, I still take more pictures on my iPhone as I’ve always got it with me, unlike the camera which I only take if I’m expecting to take pictures.

If you’re in no hurry, Sony quite often offer cash back on their cameras and lenses (if they’re not at the moment).
Haircut_10026/06/2020 17:13

Some mirrorless cameras do have an optical or hybrid viewfinder, such as …Some mirrorless cameras do have an optical or hybrid viewfinder, such as in the Fuji X-Pro and X100 cameras.

OK - didn't know about that. cheers
anthonyjames9026/06/2020 17:24

I got the A6000 in 2017 and am very pleased. For travelling I’d definitely …I got the A6000 in 2017 and am very pleased. For travelling I’d definitely recommend swapping the kit lens for an 18-135mm or something as 50mm isn’t quite long enough (IMO). I made the mistake and got the 55-210mm and constantly changing annoys those I’m travelling with. All that said, I still take more pictures on my iPhone as I’ve always got it with me, unlike the camera which I only take if I’m expecting to take pictures.If you’re in no hurry, Sony quite often offer cash back on their cameras and lenses (if they’re not at the moment).

Personally when I'm travelling with my A6000 I like to pair it with the 30mm f2.8 Sigma lens, it's a great size, reasonably priced and the pictures are great. Then use my phone for anything wider.

Sony have Cashback offer on now but only on the most expensive bodies.
Mo-Ameen26/06/2020 16:29

Thanks for that. I’m not really sure what to look for in used cameras and h …Thanks for that. I’m not really sure what to look for in used cameras and how to see whether they’re good value for money. That’s why I think I prefer going for a camera that’s on sale. Would you say that optical viewfinders are usually better than digital viewfinders?Also do you have any other bad features to look out for?

I think others would give more information. It's been many years since I've really looked into DSLR and mirrorless.

Optical Vs digital from my experience

Op;
There's no delay in updating what the camera sees
Image is clearer down the view finder

Digital;
View finder will show you the finished picture (exposure, iso, white balance etc before the photo is taken)

Quality / pixel per inch, colour is really poor (for me, I actually thought maybe my view finder was replaced as it was one of the deeming factors that ruined the camera).

There was a minor delay in the refresh rate in the view finder. Somewhat noticeable.

A6000 pros
Great, snappy little camera what packs a punch against mid range DSLRs.
Light weight, small frame camera.
Good shutter per second rate good for sports and wild life shots.
Has a view finder

Cons;
Flip screen only angles a tiny bit (really odd they went with this, as it's useless in most circumstances).
View finder is poor quality (but great it has one)
Feels premium with a couple of corners being cut that takes away from the top end feel (view finder, tilt screen to name a few).

This is basically the max the tilt screen can go.

41219078.jpg41219078.jpg
Edited by: "kos1c" 26th Jun
Find a store local to you that's open, pick a quiet time of the day if possible, and go and handle them. All the specs in the world are no good if it doesn't feel right - obviously you wont be going through all the menu's but you'll get an idea of what suits you.
anthonyjames9026/06/2020 17:24

I got the A6000 in 2017 and am very pleased. For travelling I’d definitely …I got the A6000 in 2017 and am very pleased. For travelling I’d definitely recommend swapping the kit lens for an 18-135mm or something as 50mm isn’t quite long enough (IMO). I made the mistake and got the 55-210mm and constantly changing annoys those I’m travelling with. All that said, I still take more pictures on my iPhone as I’ve always got it with me, unlike the camera which I only take if I’m expecting to take pictures.If you’re in no hurry, Sony quite often offer cash back on their cameras and lenses (if they’re not at the moment).

I’ve found a deal for the Sony A6000 for £450. Anyone know if that is a good deal or if it will go any cheaper?
Mo-Ameen28/06/2020 09:34

I’ve found a deal for the Sony A6000 for £450. Anyone know if that is a go …I’ve found a deal for the Sony A6000 for £450. Anyone know if that is a good deal or if it will go any cheaper?

No crystal ball, but Amazon don’t stock the black model anymore, the silver was £419 at its lowest so I’d say it’s not a bad deal.
Have you checked out some of the clearance A6300’s that have been popping up on here? John Lewis I think, might be worth a trip to your local if there is one.
41231627-ndzDh.jpg
anthonyjames9028/06/2020 10:06

No crystal ball, but Amazon don’t stock the black model anymore, the s …No crystal ball, but Amazon don’t stock the black model anymore, the silver was £419 at its lowest so I’d say it’s not a bad deal.Have you checked out some of the clearance A6300’s that have been popping up on here? John Lewis I think, might be worth a trip to your local if there is one.[Image]

Took a trip to the nearest John Lewis store and managed to pick up a Sony A7 (ILCe-7K) with a kit lens for £475. Not entirely sure whether to keep this or keep the Sony A6000 with kit lens for £450 arriving tomorrow. Any help?
Mo-Ameen29/06/2020 20:51

Took a trip to the nearest John Lewis store and managed to pick up a Sony …Took a trip to the nearest John Lewis store and managed to pick up a Sony A7 (ILCe-7K) with a kit lens for £475. Not entirely sure whether to keep this or keep the Sony A6000 with kit lens for £450 arriving tomorrow. Any help?

Both good cameras... the A7 is bigger (being full frame), but lenses will (I’ve found) generally be a bit cheaper. Personally between those two I’d get the A6000, but here’s an article comparing them if it helps:

photographypx.com/son…00/
Post a comment
@
    Text