misc not interested as its not a BBC bashing news story

Found 16th Mar
Remember the hue and cry because the BBC paid f emails less then the men?

Pay disparity was 10% "down with the BBC make them publish all salaries"

Turns out I was right BBC no where near the worst

ITN 19 % disparity

HSBC a whopping 60%
more to come

but this story does not fit in with the BBC bashers who are still happy to pay Murdock for sky
Community Updates
MiscEntertainment
17 Comments
Very misleading to be honest, they are comparing the average wage of all men in a company to the average wage of all women.

Not similar or same positions, not the ability to earn (i.e bonus or overtime opportunities being available to one sex and not the other).

So the wage gap is completely manufactured in these examples.
catbeans4 m ago

Very misleading to be honest, they are comparing the average wage of all …Very misleading to be honest, they are comparing the average wage of all men in a company to the average wage of all women. Not similar or same positions, not the ability to earn (i.e bonus or overtime opportunities being available to one sex and not the other).So the wage gap is completely manufactured in these examples.

not quite true if you take into account that 60% of the work force are women but hardly any in top jobs, "glass ceiling"? another form of pay disparity?
Two wrongs don't make a right.
MSK.4 m ago

Two wrongs don't make a right.

they do not but the BBC are not as bad as was made out so that was an injustice
If there is to be total equality then the retirement age should be the same, don't see women moaning about that do you.
miles1364 m ago

they do not but the BBC are not as bad as was made out so that was an …they do not but the BBC are not as bad as was made out so that was an injustice

It hasn't changed what the BBC have done at all.
Darzen1 m ago

If there is to be total equality then the retirement age should be the …If there is to be total equality then the retirement age should be the same, don't see women moaning about that do you.

or men expected to pay on a date lol
MSK.1 m ago

It hasn't changed what the BBC have done at all.

it has not but they were made out to be the worst of the worst when in fact they are no where near, and the other piont you are missing is it was made out they were the only ones doing this and that is also very fare from the truth
Ah, causal sexism makes everything better. Doesn't it?
miles13630 m ago

not quite true if you take into account that 60% of the work force are …not quite true if you take into account that 60% of the work force are women but hardly any in top jobs, "glass ceiling"? another form of pay disparity?

If you were given all the CVs for candidates who applied for those top jobs with all information which could identify gender removed, do you think you would pick 50% women?
Rubisco2 m ago

If you were given all the CVs for candidates who applied for those top …If you were given all the CVs for candidates who applied for those top jobs with all information which could identify gender removed, do you think you would pick 50% women?

today? no

Because many of them would not have the experience, after years of being kept down, thats why often when I am part of recruiting I look at potential as well when deciding best fit for the post
miles13652 m ago

not quite true if you take into account that 60% of the work force are …not quite true if you take into account that 60% of the work force are women but hardly any in top jobs, "glass ceiling"? another form of pay disparity?

I saw one (HSBC) saying 52% woman, the obvious problem here is that HSBC has a huge Asian banking sector which is probably where such a desparity exists, it's a completely different culture. Most banks are international.

Wage gaps in the west are due to personal goals, yes there is a sexism but it is not as previlent anymore. Its the classic STEM subjects Vs the arts, why aren't there more women in STEM why are art courses largely female? Well maybe that is just what those women want to to, sure there is sexism, but also personal choice. This is also the case in business, men are more willing to spend time away from family, work unsociable hours (let alone be able to do those two things), take stressful positions etc as they are more motivated by money. Why is a whole other conversation but for the time being and the main cause of the wage gaps in the west is disparity between the genders and personal goals.
catbeans28 m ago

I saw one (HSBC) saying 52% woman, the obvious problem here is that HSBC …I saw one (HSBC) saying 52% woman, the obvious problem here is that HSBC has a huge Asian banking sector which is probably where such a desparity exists, it's a completely different culture. Most banks are international. Wage gaps in the west are due to personal goals, yes there is a sexism but it is not as previlent anymore. Its the classic STEM subjects Vs the arts, why aren't there more women in STEM why are art courses largely female? Well maybe that is just what those women want to to, sure there is sexism, but also personal choice. This is also the case in business, men are more willing to spend time away from family, work unsociable hours (let alone be able to do those two things), take stressful positions etc as they are more motivated by money. Why is a whole other conversation but for the time being and the main cause of the wage gaps in the west is disparity between the genders and personal goals.

I agree with some of what you say but the fact still remains the BBC were not the only ones doing this and were no where near the worsed
miles1365 h, 5 m ago

it has not but they were made out to be the worst of the worst when in …it has not but they were made out to be the worst of the worst when in fact they are no where near, and the other piont you are missing is it was made out they were the only ones doing this and that is also very fare from the truth

I think the fact they are publicly funded sets them apart, they should be setting an example
I believe this thread is about inequality of public bashing because some people have pet dislikes, sucker to certain baits on social network, sucker to what is pushed as news to their smartphone, tablets in post-fact society, insufficient knowledge of scientific techniques in fair and equal bashing, jealousy etc..;for companies of similar size.

And there is more bashing because of

1/ number of clients using business
2/ size of population who can imagine/feel a direct impact of services

Whence you hear much more about the BBC than say Barclays private banking with gap of 100%.

The gender pay gap is a first stage statistical quantitative technique which can be used to reduce inequality of bashing by some people ( as well as its main purpose, to bash the gap itself for sake of some employees), which is your main point, I believe, @miles136

Shush, don't tell anyone, hush, there is one more factor, there are salaried workers who do stories and news to shape and to lead, to influence opinions and decision making, a few of them might be here on this thread. Luckily, HTUKD eliminated politics from here, in time for local elections, not that there are many voters here to be had, nor significant number to be influenced. So these agents are more prevalent on Facebook, Twitter, reddit..
Edited by: "splender" 16th Mar
catbeans4 h, 49 m ago

I saw one (HSBC) saying 52% woman, the obvious problem here is that HSBC …I saw one (HSBC) saying 52% woman, the obvious problem here is that HSBC has a huge Asian banking sector which is probably where such a desparity exists, it's a completely different culture. Most banks are international. Wage gaps in the west are due to personal goals, yes there is a sexism but it is not as previlent anymore. Its the classic STEM subjects Vs the arts, why aren't there more women in STEM why are art courses largely female? Well maybe that is just what those women want to to, sure there is sexism, but also personal choice. This is also the case in business, men are more willing to spend time away from family, work unsociable hours (let alone be able to do those two things), take stressful positions etc as they are more motivated by money. Why is a whole other conversation but for the time being and the main cause of the wage gaps in the west is disparity between the genders and personal goals.

Have you seen figures published by HSBC UK?

[ bbc.co.uk/new…771 ]

Equal pay legislaition (in the UK) ensures that men & women in the same employment, performing work of equal value, do not receive different pay because of their gender.

A gender pay gap* is not the same as equal pay.

*The difference in average earnings of all male & female employees, regardless of differences in career band, the job they do, their level of performance, &/or the business(es) they work within.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants