Missed delivery. Wont refund and want £22 to repost it to me

28 replies
Found 1st Jul
I wonder if anyone can help me. I placed an order early June for some hand sanitiser gel on a website. I was not in to receive the parcel (school run). I have now received an email saying they will not refund me nor do I get my parcel and that I need to pay £22.58 for them to repost it to me, as parcel force is charging them for holding the parcel then returning it to them.

Ive been ordering online forever and never had this before

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
28 Comments

How did you pay for it? (PayPal, credit card etc)

If you miss delivery Parcelforce should have put a card through your door to re-arrange delivery, collect from depot, get it delivered to the Post Office for collection etc. Some of these incur additional charges. I believe they hold the item for a number of days before returning it (at a cost) to the supplier.

GoshILoveABargain

...I was not in to receive the parcel (school run). I have now received … ...I was not in to receive the parcel (school run). I have now received an email saying they will not refund me nor do I get my parcel and that I need to pay £22.58 for them to repost it to me, as parcel force is charging them for holding the parcel then returning it to them....

PF will leave a card to inform you of a failed delivery. Presumably you received the card but did not or could not respond to it (or if no card was left, presumably you complained to the supplier that no delivery attempt was made). In such instances, it would be reasonable to not expect the supplier to have to fund multiple deliveries. Maybe the happy medium is to suggest to supplier that they consider a goodwill gesture of reduced charges? If you are particularly offended by the concept of paying delivery charges, maybe consider investigating if there is a loophole in the Consumer Contracts Regulations relating to your right of rejection within 14 days of product receipt (even though you did not technically receive the product) which.co.uk/con…ons

Just flag this as an item not received on your credit card / PayPal and request a refund that way.

jmeegan1

Just flag this as an item not received on your credit card / PayPal and … Just flag this as an item not received on your credit card / PayPal and request a refund that way.

As an online seller I have to say that while this is a possible solution it is unethical given that the seller has incurred cost in trying to get the item to you. Most couriers are sophisticated enough to communicate prior and post dispatch/ delivery and in most cases customers can arrange delivery/redelivery at a convenient time. If you take too long items will be returned and I think it is only right that a customer should pay for redelivery and even the original carriage costs if they are at fault.

While the product I sell is predominantly B2B as an independent business we cannot afford to cover the costs of carriage and redelivery if customers refuse to act reasonably.

Rant over

OP

I would investigate whether your transaction would be considered B2C or B2B as the rules differ considerably. I am assuming it was a largish order if it had to go by courier. If B2B I would check any T's & C's you may have signed when making your order.
Edited by: "abydx" 1st Jul

What's the breakdown of the charges. Are we talking about a heavy case of product here? Assuming so as PF is the carrier.

Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies. The order was for

"3x Clinell Alcohol Hand Gel 500ml with Pump " and
"3x Clinell Alcohol Hand Gel 100ml with Flip top".

The order total was £24.76 including delivery. I get that this is a pain, I too run my own business so know what its like to have to incurr additional costs, but also as a consumer I am struggling with being told there would be no refund or products, or to have to pay £22.58 to get my order. I always shop online and have never come across this before. Most of the time when I do miss a delivery its either left in a safe place (amazon) or the card left lets me rearrange a delivery.

As for the charges, his email states

"Now the problem is that we get charged by the courier for keeping the parcel at post office and then taking it back by them to their depot, doing new labels etc and sending it back to us if the customer doesn’t collect. We are charged £13+VAT for this. The redelivery of this parcel to you will be £5.82+VAT. In total £22.58 (£13+£5.82 and 20% VAT) needs to be paid if you want us to deliver the parcel. You may also pay just £15.60 (£13+VAT) and have it collected from our office"

Just get a refund via your card company, for non-delivery of goods, and shop elsewhere from now on.

You are not responsible for the mistakes of the delivery company, but the seller is.

If you want to be nice you could ask the seller for refund, reminding them that it is either a full refund (goods and delivery costs) now or a full refund + the chargeback fee from the card company later.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 1st Jul

SUMMONER

Just get a refund via your card company, for non-delivery of goods, and … Just get a refund via your card company, for non-delivery of goods, and shop elsewhere from now on.You are not responsible for the mistakes of the delivery company, but the seller is.If you want to be nice you could ask the seller for refund, reminding them that it is either a full refund (goods and delivery costs) now or a full refund + the chargeback fee from the card company later.

Chargeback will likely fail as the issue is not non-delivery, the issue is non-acceptance by the customer.

I use parcelforce as one of my couriers. There is no charge for holding an item at a post office and returning it to us in the kind of circumstances you have mentioned. You could ask for verification of this from parcel force.

I would offer to pay to pay the reality wry charge and failing that request a refund for the value of the goods - which would be assisted by the payment provider as you have not received anything. The supplier would not have proof of delivery so they would not be able to argue you have received just goods. If anything the tracking should show their signature and address as the point of delivery.

Most companies value feedback and reviews so you should make them aware of your grievance and follow up with appropriate feedback etc.

If i if I was in your position I would cover the cost of redelivery. As mentioned I do not believe that the company have been charged to hold an item at the post office or have it returned although this might come down to the commercial agreement they have with Parcel Force.

OP did you have a Parcelforce missed delivery card through the letterbox, asking you to schedule a redelivery/collect from depot/postoffice?
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 1st Jul

I see half a story here.

Sounds like the parcel has been returned. I.e not been picked up from the post office for a while

PF will keep a parcel for 30 days before returning to the seller....

Splodger101

PF will keep a parcel for 30 days before returning to the seller....

Nah. "Your parcel will be kept at the Post Office or depot for the following calendar days: expresscollect: 7 calendar days. Other UK services: 16 calendar days"
parcelforce.com/hel…ons
parcelforce.com/hel…der

Any reason you didnt contact parcel force via the calling card and arrange a redelivery?
Edited by: "joedastudd" 1st Jul

I'll spell it out in options:

1. If parcelforce did leave a card and you didn't act upon that card, it's your fault and you need to pay the amount requested
2. If parcelforce did not leave a card, it is their fault and the seller and you both need to put a complaint in to parcelforce to request free redelivery or refund delivery costs.
3. I would also query if the parcel had to be signed for (could they not have left it in a bin or in a hidden place outside your house?)

robertr

If you miss delivery Parcelforce should have put a card through your door … If you miss delivery Parcelforce should have put a card through your door to re-arrange delivery, collect from depot, get it delivered to the Post Office for collection etc. Some of these incur additional charges. I believe they hold the item for a number of days before returning it (at a cost) to the supplier.

They hold them for 2 weeks and you can collect from the Depot as well

GoshILoveABargain

... I was not in to receive the parcel (school run)...

OP, how did you discover the date and time of the attempted delivery was during the period when "I was not in to receive the parcel (school run)" ?

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

OP, how did you discover the date and time of the attempted delivery was … OP, how did you discover the date and time of the attempted delivery was during the period when "I was not in to receive the parcel (school run)" ?

Becuase on the tracking information they provided it was a week day (school day) when delivery was attempted, so the delivery attempt must have been when I was on school run as missing a delivery when home has never happened before [although I've had a few Amazon deliveries where they dont even bother to knock an they've just left it outside]. There is always the chance I was in when the delivery attempt was made and I didnt hear the door, but either way the end result is still the same

OP why you didn't collect / re-arrange delivery despite the fact there are many ways to get your parcel?

It would not go back to the sender straight away.

parcelforce.com/hel…ons

Original Poster

artnada

OP why you didn't collect / re-arrange delivery despite the fact there … OP why you didn't collect / re-arrange delivery despite the fact there are many ways to get your parcel?It would not go back to the sender straight away. confused http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/receiving/redelivery-options

There was no card. Nothing. There was no option to rearrange delivery nor collect as there was no card. The thing i did do wrong was forget. I'd ordered some spray from the same company a day or so before and forgot I'd ordered the gel too, or I would have been emailing them asking where the package was, but as I had forgot [my bad] I didn't realise anything until they emailed me saying the item had been returned and I wasnt going to get a refund and had to pay the fees if I wanted the package. The forgetting is my fault and I hold my hands up to that, it's not the first time I've forgotten I'd ordered something. But when mising a delivery there is always a card and the item is left in a safe place, or written on the card says they redeliver the next day, or says to rearrange delivery online.

The law is clear, you are entitled to a full refund (goods and postage cost).

Ask them for a full refund. If they resist remind them they will incur a chargeback fee. If they still refuse a full refund go to your card provider and tell them to do a chargeback because you haven't received the goods you ordered/paid for.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 3rd Jul

Original Poster

SUMMONER

The law is clear, you are entitled to a full refund (goods and postage … The law is clear, you are entitled to a full refund (goods and postage cost).Ask them for a full refund. If they resist remind them they will incur a chargeback fee. If they still refuse a full refund go to your card provider and tell them to do a chargeback because you haven't received the goods you ordered/paid for.

I would ususally. but this isnt clear cut - otherwise I wouldnt have asked on here for opinions. They did dispatch the package. Delivery was attempted as I can see from the tracking info, so it isn't like they have just not bothered and scammed me. I feel a little hard done by as they know have the products back and my money and I have nothing and £24 worse off.

Legally the seller is responsible for the failures of the delivery company. A customer can not be expected to keep track of all their orders, even if they had emailed you the live tracking number for the parcel.

By allowing the seller to ignore UK consumer laws you are encouraging them to try this with the next customer, and the next etc.

A business trades strictly at their own risk, not that of their non-business customers. This is a fundamental principle in UK consumer law and we should be very grateful that it is that way. Encouraging businesses to do whatever they want, ignoring what the law states, is big no no in my opinion.

Personally I would not stop at a simple refund, but also make a point of reporting them to Citizen Advice/Trading Standards, who will collate reports and once a critical mass accumulates either take action to educate the business in question or go as far as taking legal action them.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 3rd Jul

I think you need to understand that there is a difference between being a consumer and being a business customers. For the amount of sanitiser gel you are buying I wouldn't like to speculate. However, where you stand in terms of consumer protection will come down to whether you are a consumer or a business.

Original Poster

abydx

I think you need to understand that there is a difference between being a … I think you need to understand that there is a difference between being a consumer and being a business customers. For the amount of sanitiser gel you are buying I wouldn't like to speculate. However, where you stand in terms of consumer protection will come down to whether you are a consumer or a business.

I am a consumer. With paying for delivery, I tend to buy enough to supply for a while .
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions