Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Missing kitchen cupboard door

Posted 6th Oct
We have an old kitchen where the door has gone walkies.

I am looking to get a similar looking door so it doesn't stand out too much or better still anyone got great ideas on how to make this look less obvious that the door is missing? Like making it into one of those unit that are open.

Anyone know where I can get similar looking door?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Congrats on 1109 I am not sure how you think them up but they are always worth a little look and chuckle.
jaketheplumber06/10/2019 16:37

The existing door is crooked, looks like the hinges need adjusting and/or …The existing door is crooked, looks like the hinges need adjusting and/or tightening.

That will be a separate thread
"Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell
9 m ago

1I'm sorry for your lose
#CapboardDoorsMatter
#CapboardDoorsAreFamilyToo"

Whats a capboard?

Do you mean loss?
Sunday drinking laws need looking at
mutley106/10/2019 13:33

this sounds like a workable idea. paint it brown like the door cupboard …this sounds like a workable idea. paint it brown like the door cupboard so the difference in shades is not so strikingly obvious?

I'd stick with trying to get the door for now. It looks like a top quality kitchen and would be a shame to spoil it.
56 Comments
38616101-e2xqp.jpg
How does a door "go walkies"?
It already is a unit that looks open,so job done congratulations.
Just paint the inside of the cupboard and put a couple of small strip lights in.
If you don't get the colour exactly right it will always look odd.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 6th Oct
Slap any old door / panel on it that fits, and then hang a photo of deeks on it. Sorted.
Treboeth06/10/2019 13:16

How does a door "go walkies"?It already is a unit that looks open,so job …How does a door "go walkies"?It already is a unit that looks open,so job done congratulations.

it is a tenanted property and the tenant threw the cupboard door out! it used to have a door on it and now it looks pretty obvious that the door is missing.
AndyRoyd06/10/2019 13:24

Slap any old door / panel on it that fits, and then hang a photo of deeks …Slap any old door / panel on it that fits, and then hang a photo of deeks on it. Sorted.

not seen a photo on a kithen cupboard door, got an image to illustrate what it could look like?
Ringfinger06/10/2019 13:22

Just paint the inside of the cupboard and put a couple of small strip …Just paint the inside of the cupboard and put a couple of small strip lights in.If you don't get the colour exactly right it will always look odd.

this sounds like a workable idea. paint it brown like the door cupboard so the difference in shades is not so strikingly obvious?
What size is the cupboard/door needed
Toptrumpet06/10/2019 13:34

What size is the cupboard/door needed

i haven't yet measured the door. it is a pretty old kitchen so the door size may no longer be available.
Congrats on 1109 I am not sure how you think them up but they are always worth a little look and chuckle.
AndyRoyd06/10/2019 13:24

Slap any old door / panel on it that fits, and then hang a photo of deeks …Slap any old door / panel on it that fits, and then hang a photo of deeks on it. Sorted.

It's his kitchen cupboard, not a dart board. He's not my number 1 fan

this sounds like a workable idea. paint it brown like the door cupboard …this sounds like a workable idea. paint it brown like the door cupboard so the difference in shades is not so strikingly obvious?

I'd stick with trying to get the door for now. It looks like a top quality kitchen and would be a shame to spoil it.
I’d take the shelves out and try and get a wooden wine rack in there and stain it to match.
deeky06/10/2019 13:41

It's his kitchen cupboard, not a dart board. He's not my number 1 fan

Toptrumpet06/10/2019 13:55

I’d take the shelves out and try and get a wooden wine rack in there and s …I’d take the shelves out and try and get a wooden wine rack in there and stain it to match.

that is what hubby said but i can't see how it would work. you got any photo of how it would look?
Something like this, perhaps buy two and stand one on top of the other. Stain it to match the cupboard doors and hopefully the design will block out most of the cream colour inside the carcass.
38616431-8PJDQ.jpgWayfair £13.99

Or matt black, chalkboard type. Sometimes it's better to not try and match it - any fail is obvious. I like the wine rack idea - is it deep enough for a wine bottle?
Toptrumpet06/10/2019 14:10

Something like this, perhaps buy two and stand one on top of the other. …Something like this, perhaps buy two and stand one on top of the other. Stain it to match the cupboard doors and hopefully the design will block out most of the cream colour inside the carcass. [Image] Wayfair £13.99

maybe something like this so i don't need to remove the shelves

38616471-TYERn.jpg
Ringfinger06/10/2019 14:15

Or matt black, chalkboard type. Sometimes it's better to not try and match …Or matt black, chalkboard type. Sometimes it's better to not try and match it - any fail is obvious. I like the wine rack idea - is it deep enough for a wine bottle?

good point. to make it different as it aint never gonna look the same. yes, it is deep enough for a wine bottle.
mutley106/10/2019 14:18

good point. to make it different as it aint never gonna look the same. …good point. to make it different as it aint never gonna look the same. yes, it is deep enough for a wine bottle.

What you've shown looks good, perhaps only on the list one as it would be unusual and dangerous to have bottles too high. Wine Glasses on the top shelf and it would pair together nicely.
mutley106/10/2019 14:17

maybe something like this so i don't need to remove the shelves[Image]

Yes, you can stack those one on top of each other.
You just need the cupboard measurement. Don’t buy expensive quality ones, otherwise the cupboard doors will look old against it. I think the trick is to block out the cream inside.
Alternatively, is there a matching symmetrical sized cupboard at the other end of the run? If so you could change that door to match a new alternative door or perhaps take it off completely and line the inside and shelves with a fabric
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 6th Oct
I'm sorry for your lose
#CapboardDoorsMatter
#CapboardDoorsAreFamilyToo
"Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell
9 m ago

1I'm sorry for your lose
#CapboardDoorsMatter
#CapboardDoorsAreFamilyToo"

Whats a capboard?

Do you mean loss?
Sunday drinking laws need looking at
How about a refit? Your tenants deserve better
mutley106/10/2019 14:17

maybe something like this so i don't need to remove the shelves[Image]

Or spend a whole minute removing the shelves. Think outside the box for a change
Treboeth06/10/2019 14:37

"Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell9 m ago1I'm sorry for your lose …"Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell9 m ago1I'm sorry for your lose ;(#CapboardDoorsMatter#CapboardDoorsAreFamilyToo"Whats a capboard?Do you mean loss?Sunday drinking laws need looking at

Mi spelting is off today, sorry.
Two meny wine gums fore dinner
The existing door is crooked, looks like the hinges need adjusting and/or tightening.
Ringfinger06/10/2019 14:21

What you've shown looks good, perhaps only on the list one as it would be …What you've shown looks good, perhaps only on the list one as it would be unusual and dangerous to have bottles too high. Wine Glasses on the top shelf and it would pair together nicely.

thanks for pointing out about the wine rack at higher level. you are right, it is dangerous to have heavy bottles up high.

still paint it matt black so you don't get the stark contrast?

The existing door is crooked, looks like the hinges need adjusting and/or …The existing door is crooked, looks like the hinges need adjusting and/or tightening.

yeah, i noticed that now that i have posted the photo. when i was at the flat earlier this week, it didn't look wonky but I will re-adjust the cupboard door when i am there again this week.

mutley106/10/2019 13:31

it is a tenanted property and the tenant threw the cupboard door out! it …it is a tenanted property and the tenant threw the cupboard door out! it used to have a door on it and now it looks pretty obvious that the door is missing.

Why would they throw the door out? Could it not have been re-fixed?
Treboeth06/10/2019 16:45

yeah, when i make it worse so may need advice to put it back on! i have adjusted a bathroom cupboard door before, only to make the thing worse and i could not put it back the way to what it was! spent about an hour then gave up and the cupboard door is still wonky.
mutley106/10/2019 16:47

yeah, when i make it worse so may need advice to put it back on! i have …yeah, when i make it worse so may need advice to put it back on! i have adjusted a bathroom cupboard door before, only to make the thing worse and i could not put it back the way to what it was! spent about an hour then gave up and the cupboard door is still wonky.

Get your hubby to do it? It really is easy!!!
tregs06/10/2019 16:47

Why would they throw the door out? Could it not have been re-fixed?

that's what i wondered. no idea, but they threw it out as it is not anywhere in the flat. why would someone throw out the cupboard door. it may have fallen off the cupboard but then why throw it out?

we couldn't ask the tenant because she got evicted! she may have done it on purpose to cause damage.
mutley106/10/2019 16:49

that's what i wondered. no idea, but they threw it out as it is not …that's what i wondered. no idea, but they threw it out as it is not anywhere in the flat. why would someone throw out the cupboard door. it may have fallen off the cupboard but then why throw it out?we couldn't ask the tenant because she got evicted! she may have done it on purpose to cause damage.

Is that the only damage they caused?
tregs06/10/2019 16:50

Is that the only damage they caused?

yes, strangely enough.
tregs06/10/2019 16:48

Get your hubby to do it? It really is easy!!!

my husband would just end up breaking it as he can not do anything gently. he would apply too much force and break the door completely! if i can not do it, then hubby is not the next port of call.
mutley106/10/2019 16:55

my husband would just end up breaking it as he can not do anything gently. …my husband would just end up breaking it as he can not do anything gently. he would apply too much force and break the door completely! if i can not do it, then hubby is not the next port of call.

You just need to adjust the screws on the hinges - why do you need to apply force?
tregs06/10/2019 16:57

You just need to adjust the screws on the hinges - why do you need to …You just need to adjust the screws on the hinges - why do you need to apply force?

i am not saying you need to apply force, in fact the opposite. problem with hubby is that he will apply force, which is why he will break it if he tries to tighten the screw. he will tighten it too much and break the hinge.

he can not do anything gently.
mutley106/10/2019 17:01

i am not saying you need to apply force, in fact the opposite. problem …i am not saying you need to apply force, in fact the opposite. problem with hubby is that he will apply force, which is why he will break it if he tries to tighten the screw. he will tighten it too much and break the hinge.he can not do anything gently.

Then you do it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants