Missing mobile phone

Found 29th Oct 2017
The other day my mobile phone went missing, I didn’t realise until my friend received a call saying it had been handed in somewhere. Now I didn’t report it to my mobile provider or police as I didn’t realise it was missing. But someone had racked up a £55 uber bill during the day. I’ve contacted uber and they said they need a crime reference number to process a refund. What do I do now as I didn’t obtain one initially?

TIA
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments
Report it now. Report it has been fraudulently used and you didn't realise it was missing until now.
To get a crime reference, I believe you contact the police.

Do you have remote tracking on it e.g. findmyiphone? You can remote track/block/wipe the phone using this.

Should also contact the network, though this may inhibit any tracking attempt.
i never used to lock my phone and so i am so glad i do now, following advice from a helpful hukd member. you can report it now but you may have lost the money.
I'd be happy to pay £55 to get my phone back if I had lost it, so just think of it like that
dataload1 h, 13 m ago

I'd be happy to pay £55 to get my phone back if I had lost it, so just …I'd be happy to pay £55 to get my phone back if I had lost it, so just think of it like that

And a cheap lesson, put a pin lock.
Are you sure that's the only bill they've racked up? Have you called your network and asked what the unbilled amount is?
Usually when a phones goes missing it get used to call overseas a lot!
Where has it been handed into & do you have it back now?
Original Poster
tech347529th Oct

To get a crime reference, I believe you contact the police.Do you have …To get a crime reference, I believe you contact the police.Do you have remote tracking on it e.g. findmyiphone? You can remote track/block/wipe the phone using this.Should also contact the network, though this may inhibit any tracking attempt.

Yes I have find my iPhone active. I tracked it this way when noticed it was missing luckily it was already handed in somewhere by this point
Original Poster
steve122130th Oct

Are you sure that's the only bill they've racked up? Have you called your …Are you sure that's the only bill they've racked up? Have you called your network and asked what the unbilled amount is?Usually when a phones goes missing it get used to call overseas a lot!

Fortunately it was and they used up a load of my data that was all. I guess I was lucky to not get an international call
Original Poster
chocci30th Oct

Where has it been handed into & do you have it back now?

It was handed in to a university security office nearby by House. Just wondering whether my bank would be able to do a chargeback for the amount taken off my card if I’m unable to obtain a crime reference number
IAMTHEDANGER128 m ago

It was handed in to a university security office nearby by House. Just …It was handed in to a university security office nearby by House. Just wondering whether my bank would be able to do a chargeback for the amount taken off my card if I’m unable to obtain a crime reference number

You properly could, but then you'd have Uber chasing you for the debt. You need to be able to prove it wasn't you, and a crime number is the best way.
If Uber are difficult they could put a black mark on your credit file (unpaid debt) and that's there for 6 years. It would be a major pain if you ever wanted any kind of credit/mortgage etc.
Just go and report it to the police! Get the number and let uber knows about it. That's it!
What if they spent £55 on uber ride to return your phone
IAMTHEDANGER121 h, 43 m ago

Yes I have find my iPhone active. I tracked it this way when noticed it …Yes I have find my iPhone active. I tracked it this way when noticed it was missing luckily it was already handed in somewhere by this point

Just write it off and lesson learnt

Put a pin on your phone and use an applock app to secure vulnerable apps
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants