MIUI vs AOSP pros/cons (UK perspective)

Found 11th May 2016
Is anyone able to articulate, high-level the pros/cons of using a phone based on MIUI vs AOSP, particularly for someone using it in a UK, taking into account things like:

- Banking Apps
- Sky Go / TV Apps
- Well known bugs or other limitations
- To what extent the underlying version of AOSP matters given significant modifications Xiaomi have made to core android features (and as a bonus, what the impact of these customisations are, if known)

And anything else which might rely on a phone using AOSP (or widely known variant of it that doesn't originate from China)

I'm interested in buying a Redmi Note 3 and trying to figure out what the delta is between AOSP and MIUI: there seems to be a lot of chaff when you google search this topic (and not much of it from a UK perspective).

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
5 Comments

Eh...the words all look to be in English but it reads as Chinese to me.
Google translate isn't much help either.

I prefer AOSP. Devices usually run quicker this way. Google spend a lot of time optimizing the OS and then things are done to it out of their control to make it look different, or to add features, probably in the mean time reducing performance. I think that's why the Moto G was originally very popular, because it was budget, but performed well, as it was running mainly AOSP (with a few tweaks). And just like the Smart Ultra 6, another popular phone.

The best way would be to buy a popular device that's developed for, like the Galaxy series, that way you can try all sorts of ROM's like stock, AOSP, CM, MIUI, etc.
Edited by: "rev6" 11th May 2016

Oneday77

Eh...the words all look to be in English but it reads as Chinese to … Eh...the words all look to be in English but it reads as Chinese to me.Google translate isn't much help either.

MIUI

MIUI (which stands for Mi User Interface and pronounced "Me You I", a … MIUI (which stands for Mi User Interface and pronounced "Me You I", a play on the common abbreviation of the words user interface as UI), developed by Xiaomi Tech, is a stock and aftermarket firmware for smartphones and tablet computers based on the Google Android operating system.

AOSP

AOSP (Android Open-Source Project) is the project with the open-source … AOSP (Android Open-Source Project) is the project with the open-source parts of Android. It's used as a base by anyone who wants to build or customize an Android ROM

I own a redmi note 2 and miui is refreshing from stock android but as always there are flaws in it, but as many as stock android? No, probably not, i just still dislike it (or android in general)

MIUI has built in cleaner + security so i guess thats a bonus but it comes at the cost of 1GB RAM usage 90% of the time. For example, stock android will normally use ~400MB RAM (Idle) but MIUI uses around 900MB idle because of all the background apps. So in regard to banking its decent with inbuilt security but it comes at a cost.

As for streaming apps there is no real difference between MIUI and Stock.

Other than that theres not much i can complain about in MIUI (other than stock launcher which i find boring and use Nova launcher instead). Battery life on my phone is also pretty poor but i believe thats down to the actual phone itself and not MIUI so i will exclude that as, to be fair, MIUI does have several battery profiles built in
Edited by: "----" 11th May 2016

Miui has built in data usage monitoring and controls. Also call recorder.
I use several banking apps without any problem. And Netflix
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants