Mixer Taps - Hot Water Trickling Out

Found 25th Oct 2015
These taps are about 2 weeks new. Prior to these new taps the hot water ran fine.

We had a plumber come out and install the new taps (I installed them first, but the hot was leaking) he put a washer in the hot water one, under the bath.

Pressure from the shower is also bad. The water comes out boiling hot, too hot to touch!

Also, the immersion heater overflow constantly drips, nothing major, but it leave puddles in the bath over night. We live in a flat, the hot water is fed by the tank and cold water from mains. We have access to turning the water off.

Any ideas what the problem is? I've read some places that the hot water doesn't need a washer, it's just fixed....
Community Updates
AskTapFood Mixer
10 Comments
Sounds like your taps are unsuitable for your water supply, in that it sounds like you have a gravity fed low pressure hot water system. This fed from your cold storage tank into the hot water immersion tank. Your taps are probably designed for use with high pressure combination boilers, which is probably above 1.0 bar.
You need to find taps that are suitable for low pressure systems, less than 0.5 bar in order to get a decent flow from the hot tap.

Edited by: "Taliban_Army" 25th Oct 2015
Has the plumber turned the cold water feed back on? Get him back to finish the job properly.

Edited by: "ashopaholic123" 25th Oct 2015
ashopaholic123

Has the plumber turned the cold water feed back on? Get him back to … Has the plumber turned the cold water feed back on? Get him back to finish the job properly.

Turned the valve pretty much all the way ON, and still same
Can you confirm your system is gravity fed, from a cold storage tank in the loft, which in turn feeds your hot water tank, heated via an immersion heater?

We replaced our old bath mixer tap with a modern new style one, and then encountered the issue of a very weak flow from the hot water. As said before, I found it was the design of the new tap, they are often made for high pressure systems. The older plain design taps are more suitable for low pressure systems.

What bar rating are the new taps?
Taliban_Army

Can you confirm your system is gravity fed, from a cold storage tank in … Can you confirm your system is gravity fed, from a cold storage tank in the loft, which in turn feeds your hot water tank, heated via an immersion heater? We replaced our old bath mixer tap with a modern new style one, and then encountered the issue of a very weak flow from the hot water. As said before, I found it was the design of the new tap, they are often made for high pressure systems. The older plain design taps are more suitable for low pressure systems. What bar rating are the new taps?

I believe it is gravity fed, yes. The new taps bar pressure is 1.0 bar. We're probably looking at 0.2 - 0.5 for decent pressure I presume. The old taps are fine, yeah. The immersion heater is directly beside the bath.
gowingnator

I believe it is gravity fed, yes. The new taps bar pressure is 1.0 bar. … I believe it is gravity fed, yes. The new taps bar pressure is 1.0 bar. We're probably looking at 0.2 - 0.5 for decent pressure I presume. The old taps are fine, yeah. The immersion heater is directly beside the bath.

Yes, then it's the taps I'm afraid. Yes, you need to find taps with as low as pressure rating, less than 0.5, preferably lower. Unfortunately, not many taps are available in a decent modern design. We got ours from toolstation. Have a look on the website
Taliban_Army

Yes, then it's the taps I'm afraid. Yes, you need to find taps with as … Yes, then it's the taps I'm afraid. Yes, you need to find taps with as low as pressure rating, less than 0.5, preferably lower. Unfortunately, not many taps are available in a decent modern design. We got ours from toolstation. Have a look on the website

toolstation.com/sho…=no
gowingnator

Turned the valve pretty much all the way ON, and still same

Is there a additional cold water feed in the loft which tank feeds the bathroom. This was the case in my mums house and the plumber hadn't turned it back on. Took him 2 minutes when he came back and all worked fine then. Mums is and old house, not sure about yours.
gowingnator

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p18179?table=no

Yes, they should be fine. It's just down to personal choice, unfortunately, the more modern taps are not suitable, we went for these, but like I say it's personal choice. But they do the job.

Mixer taps

We had exactly the same problem. Existing mixer taps, the flow was fine. Changed to a fancy mixer tap and the flow was barely a trickle. I too thought the plumber had done something wrong, but no it was simply the tap design of modern taps. If you look on eBay or Amazon, the sellers often highlight that the taps are only suitable for certain systems, which they list. Majority will be high pressure systems.

The only other thing I realised, was that the plumber really should have queried whether the new taps were suitable or not, as obviously they would have known, once at the property the type of system we had, and if it was suitable or not. Unfortunately, like a lot of people, my plumber was only interested in getting paid, so he did the job, got paid and left. When we called him later about the low flow, he was quick to point the issue to the taps! Pointed me in the direction of Toolstation to source the taps, then wanted to be paid again to fit them. Told him thanks for telling me where to get the taps from, but I won't be using his services again, and fitted them myself.

Edited by: "Taliban_Army" 25th Oct 2015
Most likely u have is a gravity fed hot water supply and mains pressure on the cold side. When u may try to use the shower or the mixer tap the pressure from the cold water will overpower the hot water and push the water back into the tank. This will cause the water in the tank to build up and then come out the over flow as this will explain the leak. Unless u have the supply balanced ie cold water to the bath taken from the storage tank u will have to go back to single taps. Also if u want any good showers a shower pump would be required.
You can also get mixer taps that dont mix water until the water exits the spout, this overcomes the problem with high and low pressure water supplies.
Look for a plumber with better knowledge on gravity systems as alot of new plumbers are not familiar with them and the pros and cons about them.
Edited by: "kash2013" 25th Oct 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants