Mk6.5 Ford Fiesta unusual rear tyre wear

Posted 28th Oct
Hi all.
My daughters fiesta has been running the same rear tyres for a few years.
Recently, I’ve noted that the outside of the n/s rear tyre is worn much more than the inside of the tyre - suggesting the camber is out. The other side has even wear.
The car seems to drive fine, it doesn’t pull or crab and stays in a straight line.
I’ve researched a bit online and from what I can see, the camber can’t be adjusted? Suggestions include worn bushes on the suspension or possibly a damaged axle (she says she hasn’t hit anything hard).
Any suggestions or similar experiences?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Check the back axle bushes and suspension maybe get a digital full geometry check NOT just tracking . Could be cheap or perished tyres or poor road surface .Any pics ?
Under inflation?
Could be a problem with wheel alignment, or tyre balancing, which would have to be diagnosed at a garage, along with the check for worn suspension parts. Definitely worth checking tyre pressures on all wheels first, could just be as simple as an underinflated tyre in that corner.
She hasn’t hit anything hard, sounds to me as she has hit something, I’d start there...
Possibly going too fast round roundabouts if passenger rear tyre. You’ll probably find some uneven wear on the very inside of the other rear tyre too.

It could be a dodgy coil spring, these are cheap and very easy to replace on the rear as it doesn’t require compressing the spring if you do it right.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 29th Oct
What ever you do, make sure it's legal, points don't make prizes any more!
First port of call would be a rear tracking check, she may have "kissed" the rear wheel it doesn't take muck to tweak one of those rear axles.
You need to get a digital full geometry check NOT just tracking. I think its called a Hunter, the machine they use.
I used align my car. Cost £60-£70.
If found out the rear right wheel camber was out, wearing the edge out.
Had it aligned and never did it again.
All the tyres would wear out evenly.
It also stopped the car pulling left or right on the motoway. Now just goes in a dead straight line.
alignmycar.co.uk/
Thanks all, I’ll try to post a picture shortly now it’s light.
I think I’ll have to get it booked into my local tyre place to have it checked over!
38828701-fUeEl.jpg
ktm66629/10/2019 09:46

[Image]

That's on minimum wear point, might be nothing wrong with the car
Looks like cornering too fast to me.
esar29/10/2019 09:49

That's on minimum wear point, might be nothing wrong with the car

Let’s hope not! I’m just used to seeing more even wear across the tyre, rears especially
ktm66629/10/2019 11:08

Let’s hope not! I’m just used to seeing more even wear across the tyre, rea …Let’s hope not! I’m just used to seeing more even wear across the tyre, rears especially

Not meaning to be funny, but do you know what a wear indicator is?
Hopefully you do, and I'd suggest looking at the one on the good side for comparison, can only see the (illegal) one top left of the picture though!
esar29/10/2019 11:30

Not meaning to be funny, but do you know what a wear indicator …Not meaning to be funny, but do you know what a wear indicator is?Hopefully you do, and I'd suggest looking at the one on the good side for comparison, can only see the (illegal) one top left of the picture though!

Yeah, I know the indicator. The one the other side of the side isn’t worn level. The outer side has worn to the indicator whereas the inside hasn’t. I’ve got it booked in for a replacement tyre and will get them to check it later as I know the tyre is illegal and can do without her getting a fine or points, which ultimately results in me getting a fine!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants