Mobile Air Conditioner Recommendations

Expert (Beta)21
Posted 4th Apr
Evening Folks.

With summer just around the corner, I am looking for a couple of mobile air conditioners. Would most likely put them next to the window and pipe out the hot air outside. If anyone can recommend an air conditioner that they have bought and are happy with - budget around £400 max for a single unit.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Hope this thread takes off as I also need something myself. If the lockdown last for 6months and gets more restrictive I will need air-conditioning as my work space gets super hot in summer.
What size room / BTU do you require?

I got a Trotec (German brand/seller) from eBay in 2018 and it's been a beast I use it around 10 months a year (hot room around 27c) cools to 18-19c perfectly. Only downside being from Germany the hose size isn't standard so I had to mod the A/C to fit the 4" hole in the wall.

Screwfix and Toolstation normally do good deals during winter on A/Cs but due to the current time (COVID-19) they're unavailable.

Try aircondirect even offering delivery from tomorrow (same as Appliance direct) that's where I got my WiFi wall split A/C from for £349.

The Amcor is great for rooms up to 18sqm £249 (this is normally £199 in October).

Trying to find an installer to install it isn't as easy so far they looking at £500 install that's more than the unit haha self-install means i won't get the 10 year warranty.
Edited by: "FlexR" 5th Apr
Amazon Warehouse sometimes has them for cheap.
FlexR05/04/2020 01:38

What size room / BTU do you require?I got a Trotec (German brand/seller) …What size room / BTU do you require?I got a Trotec (German brand/seller) from eBay in 2018 and it's been a beast I use it around 10 months a year (hot room around 27c) cools to 18-19c perfectly. Only downside being from Germany the hose size isn't standard so I had to mod the A/C to fit the 4" hole in the wall.Screwfix and Toolstation normally do good deals during winter on A/Cs but due to the current time (COVID-19) they're unavailable.Try aircondirect even offering delivery from tomorrow (same as Appliance direct) that's where I got my WiFi wall split A/C from for £349.The Amcor is great for rooms up to 18sqm £249 (this is normally £199 in October).Trying to find an installer to install it isn't as easy so far they looking at £500 install that's more than the unit haha self-install means i won't get the 10 year warranty.

Thanks for replying, The 2 rooms upstairs are about 20m2 and then one for the living room downstairs which is maybe 40m2.
Bananabrain05/04/2020 11:06

Amazon Warehouse sometimes has them for cheap.

Anything you can recommend with a link please? Thanks
matwalaboy05/04/2020 11:41

Thanks for replying, The 2 rooms upstairs are about 20m2 and then one for …Thanks for replying, The 2 rooms upstairs are about 20m2 and then one for the living room downstairs which is maybe 40m2.

electriQ (popular). I use the electriQ 20" fan it's honestly like a jet so powerful it was blowing everything everywhere even on slowest speed. I had to replace with the electriQ 16" low energy quiet.

No issues with the electriQ branded fans so I assume the A/Cs are just as good. Cooleasy has longer warranty not sure on comfee brand not heard of it.

30sqm: appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/p…12c £349 (1 year warranty)
42sqm: appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/p…6hp £429) (1 year warranty)

20sqm: cooleasy.co.uk/cat…tml £309 (3yr warranty, works with Alexa and Google Home)
30sqm: cooleasy.co.uk/cat…tml £359 (3yr warranty, works with Alexa and Google Home

Couldn't see anything standing out on Amazon Warehouse mostly found coolers/parts.
FlexR05/04/2020 14:58

electriQ (popular). I use the electriQ 20" fan it's honestly like a jet so …electriQ (popular). I use the electriQ 20" fan it's honestly like a jet so powerful it was blowing everything everywhere even on slowest speed. I had to replace with the electriQ 16" low energy quiet.No issues with the electriQ branded fans so I assume the A/Cs are just as good. Cooleasy has longer warranty not sure on comfee brand not heard of it.30sqm: https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/p12c/electriq-p12c £349 (1 year warranty)42sqm: https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/p16hp/electriq-p16hp £429) (1 year warranty)20sqm: https://www.cooleasy.co.uk/categories/portable-air-conditioning/comfee-2-6kw-portable-air-con-unit.html £309 (3yr warranty, works with Alexa and Google Home)30sqm: https://www.cooleasy.co.uk/categories/portable-air-conditioning/comfee-35kw-portable-air-con-unit.html £359 (3yr warranty, works with Alexa and Google HomeCouldn't see anything standing out on Amazon Warehouse mostly found coolers/parts.

Thanks a lot for your helpful reply - much appreciated. Might buy one from AppliancesDirect for the living room downstairs. In the meantime I bought amazon.co.uk/dp/…CG/ - will arrive next week and then I can check if this is adequate before repeating the order for the other rooms or considering the comfi's from cooleasy - just not sure about the brand, also no reviews, which makes me slightly nervous.
matwalaboy08/04/2020 00:32

Thanks a lot for your helpful reply - much appreciated. Might buy one from …Thanks a lot for your helpful reply - much appreciated. Might buy one from AppliancesDirect for the living room downstairs. In the meantime I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G7L48CG/ - will arrive next week and then I can check if this is adequate before repeating the order for the other rooms or considering the comfi's from cooleasy - just not sure about the brand, also no reviews, which makes me slightly nervous.

I've never had any issues with Appliances Direct (2 fans, 1 12000 BTU A/C and an ElectriQ dehumidifier from them).

Have you considered wall split A/C? I got one (worked out cheaper than buying an A/C per room) and should be getting it installed from BOXT soon. Think I paid £499 for it last winter sale has WiFi, App, voice control and can power 3-5 rooms and go cooler than a portable A/C (16c) plus does heat output (3kw). Of course I will never make my room below the 16 anyway and will never heat my room as it's 27c due to the nerd racks without heating. Includes 10 warranty.

Although it really depends if you've the outside space/access to connect it to every room (I'm going vent in ceilings from the loft-space route).

I agree with Comfi. Seems it's not a well known but they do have Amazon listings so might be able to hunt Amazon? Looks like JML used to sell Comfi A/Cs in the past.

Cooleasy has a reviews page (but I always take these with a pinch of salt) and looks good just the Comfi brand i cannot comment on with reliability and stuff.
FlexR08/04/2020 18:54

I've never had any issues with Appliances Direct (2 fans, 1 12000 BTU A/C …I've never had any issues with Appliances Direct (2 fans, 1 12000 BTU A/C and an ElectriQ dehumidifier from them).Have you considered wall split A/C? I got one (worked out cheaper than buying an A/C per room) and should be getting it installed from BOXT soon. Think I paid £499 for it last winter sale has WiFi, App, voice control and can power 3-5 rooms and go cooler than a portable A/C (16c) plus does heat output (3kw). Of course I will never make my room below the 16 anyway and will never heat my room as it's 27c due to the nerd racks without heating. Includes 10 warranty.Although it really depends if you've the outside space/access to connect it to every room (I'm going vent in ceilings from the loft-space route).I agree with Comfi. Seems it's not a well known but they do have Amazon listings so might be able to hunt Amazon? Looks like JML used to sell Comfi A/Cs in the past.Cooleasy has a reviews page (but I always take these with a pinch of salt) and looks good just the Comfi brand i cannot comment on with reliability and stuff.

I did consider wall split A/C - but I thought the cost of installing it would be prohibitive and might defeat it a bit - how much did it cost you all in - including the A/C unit, labour etc?
matwalaboy08/04/2020 18:56

I did consider wall split A/C - but I thought the cost of installing it …I did consider wall split A/C - but I thought the cost of installing it would be prohibitive and might defeat it a bit - how much did it cost you all in - including the A/C unit, labour etc?

£499 for the unit (i think it's £799 normally) I got it in winter sale (I always buy fans and stuff in winter). "BOXT " were charging £1,249 install. BOXT themselves don't actually do self-provided installs I actually got a full quote from them.

However when the engineer arrived he actually suggested I can buy my own unit, told me the unit BOXT install and brought it cheaper online and he'll install it outside of BOXT for £249. Total: £748 (depends if i need any extra copper tube and stuff only 2m supplied). Not sure if that's allowed?

No scaffolding needed thankfully as he can fit it on the garden wall and stand on single story extension roof for the high level work.
FlexR08/04/2020 19:28

£499 for the unit (i think it's £799 normally) I got it in winter sale (I a …£499 for the unit (i think it's £799 normally) I got it in winter sale (I always buy fans and stuff in winter). "BOXT " were charging £1,249 install. BOXT themselves don't actually do self-provided installs I actually got a full quote from them. However when the engineer arrived he actually suggested I can buy my own unit, told me the unit BOXT install and brought it cheaper online and he'll install it outside of BOXT for £249. Total: £748 (depends if i need any extra copper tube and stuff only 2m supplied). Not sure if that's allowed? No scaffolding needed thankfully as he can fit it on the garden wall and stand on single story extension roof for the high level work.

That’s not bad at all then considering £450 or so for the mobile air con which at best is moderately successful as compared to a split level ac
matwalaboy08/04/2020 00:32

Thanks a lot for your helpful reply - much appreciated. Might buy one from …Thanks a lot for your helpful reply - much appreciated. Might buy one from AppliancesDirect for the living room downstairs. In the meantime I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G7L48CG/ - will arrive next week and then I can check if this is adequate before repeating the order for the other rooms or considering the comfi's from cooleasy - just not sure about the brand, also no reviews, which makes me slightly nervous.

I would love to hear how to get along with the unit. I will most likely be using a window to vent the heat so wondering if your planning on doing the same? I forgot to subscribe to the thread so nice to see some options popping up
AnkerMan10/04/2020 08:31

I would love to hear how to get along with the unit. I will most likely be …I would love to hear how to get along with the unit. I will most likely be using a window to vent the heat so wondering if your planning on doing the same? I forgot to subscribe to the thread so nice to see some options popping up

I just got the one from amazon I mentioned and will be testing it today or tomorrow and yes I will also be venting it through the window as the walls of my house aren’t strong enough to hold a split ac without putting a lot of investment in. I will reply here how the one from amazon worked.
matwalaboy08/04/2020 19:38

That’s not bad at all then considering £450 or so for the mobile air con wh …That’s not bad at all then considering £450 or so for the mobile air con which at best is moderately successful as compared to a split level ac

For sure! We didn't want to fix the unit to our house or conservatory converted extension. So where the fence is we basically built a wall in front of it just to fix the outside unit on. Looks better than the fence! Just needs connecting up now haha.

Windows are fine as long as you use some kind of window kit (SF) or just a bed sheet or some kind to stop heat returning in. I did this until so much heat was dumped back into the room (mainly from the hose) i ended up drilling a 4" hole in the wall.

I use a Trotech German unit (eBay UK) which is (143mm) so had to mod it to fit the UK's 4" hole. The hose it does give off a lot of heat still so we basically built a box with insulation in to trap the heat as it allowed it back into the room as it's only plastic hose. Window wise could maybe use some tape or just wrap a blanket round it.

I also suggest the more thicker hose if your unit ships with the cheap looking duct hose as this leaks a lot more heat (you can also buy foil insulated hose looks ugly, yes but helps trap heat).
matwalaboy10/04/2020 10:15

I just got the one from amazon I mentioned and will be testing it today or …I just got the one from amazon I mentioned and will be testing it today or tomorrow and yes I will also be venting it through the window as the walls of my house aren’t strong enough to hold a split ac without putting a lot of investment in. I will reply here how the one from amazon worked.

Any update? I could buy a different one for comparisons purposes so if you are curious about another unit, let me know. Ideally I want something with 2 year warranty. Happy to spend £500-600
AnkerMan16/04/2020 23:18

Any update? I could buy a different one for comparisons purposes so if you …Any update? I could buy a different one for comparisons purposes so if you are curious about another unit, let me know. Ideally I want something with 2 year warranty. Happy to spend £500-600

Apologies, somehow missed commenting here. Tried it out the other day, albeit hard to comment still on its cooling abilities as we havent yet had a proper hot day here. Its slightly noisy for my liking, but then I think all ACs suffer from noise issues. The other one that I quite liked the look of is johnlewis.com/aeg…055 - expensive but looks good and comes with JL 2 year warranty.
matwalaboy16/04/2020 23:36

Apologies, somehow missed commenting here. Tried it out the other day, …Apologies, somehow missed commenting here. Tried it out the other day, albeit hard to comment still on its cooling abilities as we havent yet had a proper hot day here. Its slightly noisy for my liking, but then I think all ACs suffer from noise issues. The other one that I quite liked the look of is https://www.johnlewis.com/aeg-chillflex-pro-axp34u338cw-portable-air-conditioner-12000-btu-white/p3641055 - expensive but looks good and comes with JL 2 year warranty.

They all have certain flaws in common which is the weight and noise although some have sleep function. Still researching and did see the John Lewis aircons today but sold out. Seems like a lot of choice so still trying to narrow it down. Return policy is also important in case...
Even though temps are not hot, you could always check your current temps and see how fast the Aircon drops the room temp over a timed period. Should give an idea of its effectiveness
Edited by: "AnkerMan" 16th Apr
AnkerMan16/04/2020 23:51

They all have certain flaws in common which is the weight and noise …They all have certain flaws in common which is the weight and noise although some have sleep function. Still researching and did see the John Lewis aircons today but sold out. Seems like a lot of choice so still trying to narrow it down. Return policy is also important in case...Even though temps are not hot, you could always check your current temps and see how fast the Aircon drops the room temp over a timed period. Should give an idea of its effectiveness

"Currently in stock online." for me?

All portables are noisy really unless it's some crazy unit (not found one yet even with sleep mode). To be honest even just "Fan" mode is more loud than a normal fan is. That's why i went wall split so the noise is outside in the garden wall 3ft from house plus does 3 different rooms at once it's being fitted Wednesday. Only took 17 months to arrange a fitting!
FlexR17/04/2020 17:52

"Currently in stock online." for me?All portables are noisy really unless …"Currently in stock online." for me?All portables are noisy really unless it's some crazy unit (not found one yet even with sleep mode). To be honest even just "Fan" mode is more loud than a normal fan is. That's why i went wall split so the noise is outside in the garden wall 3ft from house plus does 3 different rooms at once it's being fitted Wednesday. Only took 17 months to arrange a fitting!

Must of just come back in stock at was out of when I checked yesterday. Seems like a lot of these portables come from same factories in China and the reseller just stamps their brand on it in Europe. This might explain the similar specs or issues. I have to go portable route as I am renting so the search continues
FlexR05/04/2020 01:38

What size room / BTU do you require?I got a Trotec (German brand/seller) …What size room / BTU do you require?I got a Trotec (German brand/seller) from eBay in 2018 and it's been a beast I use it around 10 months a year (hot room around 27c) cools to 18-19c perfectly. Only downside being from Germany the hose size isn't standard so I had to mod the A/C to fit the 4" hole in the wall.Screwfix and Toolstation normally do good deals during winter on A/Cs but due to the current time (COVID-19) they're unavailable.Try aircondirect even offering delivery from tomorrow (same as Appliance direct) that's where I got my WiFi wall split A/C from for £349.The Amcor is great for rooms up to 18sqm £249 (this is normally £199 in October).Trying to find an installer to install it isn't as easy so far they looking at £500 install that's more than the unit haha self-install means i won't get the 10 year warranty.

After reading little more my hope was to get portable unit that had dual hose function as they are apparently more efficient. Problem is that i am having hard time sourcing a model as vast majority are single hose. Was interested in LG model and Wynter but no UK retailers seem to stock.
Your Trotec purchase, where was that and was it dual hose? My only other consideration was to get a single hose unit that was more powerful than i needed for the space of my work space. So although 9000BTU would do it, i would get 12,000 instead...
Let me know what you think....
AnkerMan18/04/2020 11:23

After reading little more my hope was to get portable unit that had dual …After reading little more my hope was to get portable unit that had dual hose function as they are apparently more efficient. Problem is that i am having hard time sourcing a model as vast majority are single hose. Was interested in LG model and Wynter but no UK retailers seem to stock. Your Trotec purchase, where was that and was it dual hose? My only other consideration was to get a single hose unit that was more powerful than i needed for the space of my work space. So although 9000BTU would do it, i would get 12,000 instead...Let me know what you think....

From my understanding the dual hose is only used when they feature a heating mode. My Homebase (7 yr old) model features heating mode and it uses the second hose when cooling, fan or dehumidifier they second hose is dead nothing happens on it.

It's an intake for heating the Homebase model manual says can be hosed (outside air in) or left off to use the room's heat.

My Trotec is single out the back, from Trotech's UK eBay store. Both my homebase and Trotech are both 12000 BTU. eBay store: ebay.co.uk/usr…tec (portable a/c 14 results from Trotec)

40457211-TnR0W.jpg40457211-PwykW.jpg
Edited by: "FlexR" 18th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions