Mobile alert device for wearer - to alert family members when had a fall in the home - Button / Smartwatch etc?

Posted 14th Feb
A quick google shows quite a lot out there, but can anyone here recommend something they know works?

The common scenario is the mobile phone isn't nearby and person has a fall, the device such as Smart Watch or Button device is small enough to always be on the person, it is pressed/activated, and a mobile alert is sent to people on emergency list.

Health service have recommended a Button, but monthly cost is quite expensive for the service being monitored by a third party, this is overkill and isn't required at the moment, a simple message alert to family members mobile phone would be better.

Person has a good uptodate Android mobile, can be always left turned on and connected via Bluetooth to the device when in the home (range permitting).
Don't want to buy another phone such as the Doro, already had one and a bit rubbish, also easy to put down, and need a wearable device.

Ideally want to purchase a device outright without service charges, Samsung watch is great for monitoring your exercise and has many features, not sure its best for this scenario though?

Another idea from health service person was smart speakers you can yell out to, but they aren't reliable in my experience, it's hard enough asking to play something or turn sound up/down half the time!

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

33 Comments
I read an article where a rock climber (or similar) was operating solo, had a fall, and woke up to see the emergency services. It would seem that his apple watch had some sort of impact / speed and angle / super duper magic detection that had alerted his emergency contact with geographical address.
Could you not use an amazon echo to make a call
Check if your local council offers such a service. My mum has one, wears a pendant round her neck which can automatically detect falls and initiate an emergency call, installed and monitored by the council. It can even be free, depending on the person's medical history.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 14th Feb
adamderak14/02/2020 18:48

He did state he wasn't happy with that idea
My Apple Watch 4 has it build in detects when wearer has had a fall if no further movement from then automatically deals 999
TristanDeCoonha14/02/2020 18:34

I read an article where a rock climber (or similar) was operating solo, …I read an article where a rock climber (or similar) was operating solo, had a fall, and woke up to see the emergency services. It would seem that his apple watch had some sort of impact / speed and angle / super duper magic detection that had alerted his emergency contact with geographical address.

Need a device for android, or standalone.
adamderak14/02/2020 18:48

As mentioned, can’t rely on this tech yet.
terriclarkfan14/02/2020 18:57

Check if your local council offers such a service. My mum has one, wears a …Check if your local council offers such a service. My mum has one, wears a pendant round her neck which can automatically detect falls and initiate an emergency call, installed and monitored by the council. It can even be free, depending on the person's medical history.

Have had them around, not free service unfortunately.
rwf382014/02/2020 19:23

My Apple Watch 4 has it build in detects when wearer has had a fall if no …My Apple Watch 4 has it build in detects when wearer has had a fall if no further movement from then automatically deals 999

Need android compatibility, or standalone. Also overkill ringing emergency services, unless that can be changed to family member, but need android
Check out Buddi. They do various solutions.
39907708-CKyVT.jpgSureSafe Personal Alarm Elderly - Pendant Medical Alarm System is brilliant sends sos to your mobile and you own the device about £80 new cheaper used options may be available on famous auction site but it really did work comes with watch and pendant and base unit will dial 3 numbers and talk back through box also and is a great peace of mind happy to tell you more if you wish
Edited by: "ChihuahuaDaddy" 14th Feb
I got my 94 year old gran a lifeline service from our local council had a falls sensor around her neck. A bed sensor so knew when she was wandering at night. A door sensor. A flood sensor in the bathroom and kitchen and it was all fitted for £16 per month with 24/7 monitoring I would have paid it treble for what help it gave me.
the worry for people who fall is that they may knock their head and lose consciousness or they become disoriented and so having a simple button to press is the best solution as it can be done when you are in distress. using your mobile phone means you need to have full faculty and mobile signal may fail when you need it most.

i have a mi band 4 which is linked to my android phone via bluetooth but the signal breaks if the two devices are far away from each other, not even that far, may be 5 m but there are walls in between which will block the connection so a wearable device that communicates with the android phone may not be 100% reliable.

if you want to rely on a mobile phone, you could buy one of those old 2g phone that is very small and so can always be in your pocket without much trouble and you can call for help if you fall.
mutley114/02/2020 19:52

the worry for people who fall is that they may knock their head and lose …the worry for people who fall is that they may knock their head and lose consciousness or they become disoriented and so having a simple button to press is the best solution as it can be done when you are in distress. using your mobile phone means you need to have full faculty and mobile signal may fail when you need it most.i have a mi band 4 which is linked to my android phone via bluetooth but the signal breaks if the two devices are far away from each other, not even that far, may be 5 m but there are walls in between which will block the connection so a wearable device that communicates with the android phone may not be 100% reliable.if you want to rely on a mobile phone, you could buy one of those old 2g phone that is very small and so can always be in your pocket without much trouble and you can call for help if you fall.

I got my mum a 2g phone that has a SOS button on it. If she presses the button, it sends a txt to me, my wife, brother and sis in law, so one of us should be able to respond to her quickly.

amazon.co.uk/dp/…0FC
adamderak14/02/2020 19:38

Have a look at thishttps://vsnmobil.com/products/v-alrt/

Have to purchase from America so unsure on compatibility although hopefully be OK. It's $39.99 + $37.27 shipping.
Just not sure on range button has to be within to work successfully with Mobile.
Ideally I'd want a personal recommendation from someone thats using this.
ArcadeAssassin14/02/2020 19:41

Check out Buddi. They do various solutions.

Looks interesting, has anyone got any experience with using this buddi system?
ChihuahuaDaddy14/02/2020 19:43

[Image] SureSafe Personal Alarm Elderly - Pendant Medical Alarm System …[Image] SureSafe Personal Alarm Elderly - Pendant Medical Alarm System is brilliant sends sos to your mobile and you own the device about £80 new cheaper used options may be available on famous auction site but it really did work comes with watch and pendant and base unit will dial 3 numbers and talk back through box also and is a great peace of mind happy to tell you more if you wish

Thanks, will look into this and other SureSafe products.
kirstie280614/02/2020 19:52

I got my 94 year old gran a lifeline service from our local council had a …I got my 94 year old gran a lifeline service from our local council had a falls sensor around her neck. A bed sensor so knew when she was wandering at night. A door sensor. A flood sensor in the bathroom and kitchen and it was all fitted for £16 per month with 24/7 monitoring I would have paid it treble for what help it gave me.

Thanks but it's overkill for what is required.
darkovo14/02/2020 20:32

Looks interesting, has anyone got any experience with using this buddi …Looks interesting, has anyone got any experience with using this buddi system?

Used to have 50+ of them for a local facility. Could set up areas the device was allowed to be and you got an alert when the device left the area. Also fall detection and personal alarm. Can talk back through the device as well in some cases. It can be expensive but it could be someones life at the end of the day.
mutley114/02/2020 19:52

the worry for people who fall is that they may knock their head and lose …the worry for people who fall is that they may knock their head and lose consciousness or they become disoriented and so having a simple button to press is the best solution as it can be done when you are in distress. using your mobile phone means you need to have full faculty and mobile signal may fail when you need it most.i have a mi band 4 which is linked to my android phone via bluetooth but the signal breaks if the two devices are far away from each other, not even that far, may be 5 m but there are walls in between which will block the connection so a wearable device that communicates with the android phone may not be 100% reliable.if you want to rely on a mobile phone, you could buy one of those old 2g phone that is very small and so can always be in your pocket without much trouble and you can call for help if you fall.

Yes the worry is the range over bluetooth to a mobile phone, and reliability with this setup.

Another mobile phone is not the way to go, it has to be an easy wearable device or won't be used.
ncd14/02/2020 20:23

I got my mum a 2g phone that has a SOS button on it. If she presses the …I got my mum a 2g phone that has a SOS button on it. If she presses the button, it sends a txt to me, my wife, brother and sis in law, so one of us should be able to respond to her quickly.https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V2DYDJK/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_FcWrEb0AT50FC

Like the Doro I mentioned. Another mobile phone isn't the solution unfortunately.
ArcadeAssassin14/02/2020 20:39

Used to have 50+ of them for a local facility. Could set up areas the …Used to have 50+ of them for a local facility. Could set up areas the device was allowed to be and you got an alert when the device left the area. Also fall detection and personal alarm. Can talk back through the device as well in some cases. It can be expensive but it could be someones life at the end of the day.

Just a shame there's a weekly/monthly charge associated with this.
ncd14/02/2020 20:23

I got my mum a 2g phone that has a SOS button on it. If she presses the …I got my mum a 2g phone that has a SOS button on it. If she presses the button, it sends a txt to me, my wife, brother and sis in law, so one of us should be able to respond to her quickly.https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V2DYDJK/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_FcWrEb0AT50FC

that seems like a very good device and is pretty cheap.
mutley114/02/2020 21:22

Yes, my mum is a real technophobe as she reminds me every 5 minutes, so I needed to get her something simple and basic to use. It's reassurance for her as well, when she's out and about.
mutley114/02/2020 21:22

It could be good in most situations, when it’s carried and not left out of reach.
darkovo14/02/2020 21:51

It could be good in most situations, when it’s carried and not left out of …It could be good in most situations, when it’s carried and not left out of reach.

my dad has an old flip phone that is 2g and it is extremely light. you could easily wear it around your neck like an ID tag and not really notice it. but these phones don't tend to have a clip to attach to a band that you can wear around your neck unfortunately. otherwise they would be very handy as they would always be with you.
mutley114/02/2020 21:57

my dad has an old flip phone that is 2g and it is extremely light. you …my dad has an old flip phone that is 2g and it is extremely light. you could easily wear it around your neck like an ID tag and not really notice it. but these phones don't tend to have a clip to attach to a band that you can wear around your neck unfortunately. otherwise they would be very handy as they would always be with you.

Not sure if serious
darkovo14/02/2020 23:22

Not sure if serious

Nothing wrong with wearing the phone around your neck. There was a brief time when people wore their mobile phones around their neck on a cord. I thought it was pretty stupid and it never really took off, for obvious reasons!

But if you need the phone on you all the time, wearing it around your neck is the earliest way to keep it with you as putting it in your pocket doesn't always work as you may change clothes and forget to move the phone, or your clothes may not have pockets, or the phone could fall out of your pocket.
mutley115/02/2020 00:16

Nothing wrong with wearing the phone around your neck. There was a brief …Nothing wrong with wearing the phone around your neck. There was a brief time when people wore their mobile phones around their neck on a cord. I thought it was pretty stupid and it never really took off, for obvious reasons!But if you need the phone on you all the time, wearing it around your neck is the earliest way to keep it with you as putting it in your pocket doesn't always work as you may change clothes and forget to move the phone, or your clothes may not have pockets, or the phone could fall out of your pocket.

It would be a funny site when recharging
mutley115/02/2020 00:16

Nothing wrong with wearing the phone around your neck. There was a brief …Nothing wrong with wearing the phone around your neck. There was a brief time when people wore their mobile phones around their neck on a cord. I thought it was pretty stupid and it never really took off, for obvious reasons!But if you need the phone on you all the time, wearing it around your neck is the earliest way to keep it with you as putting it in your pocket doesn't always work as you may change clothes and forget to move the phone, or your clothes may not have pockets, or the phone could fall out of your pocket.

Ha you’re right:
39910129-fdpBD.jpg
Think we’ll pass on this suggestion though.
darkovo15/02/2020 08:16

Ha you’re right:[Image] Think we’ll pass on this suggestion though.

i can't remember when it was but it was a while ago, before 3g came along. mobile phones were a lot smaller and lighter than they are now and for about a couple of years, people started to wear them with a cord like this one, but the phone in those days were a lot smaller.

i thought it was a stupid way to carry your phone and it didn't last long as it didn't stay popular enough. however although i thought it looked stupid, i think it was a practical way to keep your phone with you all the time without the need to put it in your pocket. it was also easier to access than having the phone in your pocket.

39910667.jpg
Edited by: "mutley1" 15th Feb
A quick update to say, in our view, there's only 3 viable solutions:

1. SureSafe alarm with pendants/watch - non-subscription version = only good for when in the home, won't detect a fall.
2. Alarm with monthly subscription - 24/7 monitoring, fall detection etc = many different makes and on-going monthly prices.
3. Smart watch with celular SIM - fall detection and emergency calls etc = Apple watch (latest) currently only has this feature, Samsung and other Android based watches will include this feature in the future, once approved.

The ideal solution for us is a Smart watch that is easy to wear continually throughout the day, and not easily forgotten (once charged). Reliability needs to be perfect.
We're hoping more diverse options come out in the near future, and aren't a rip-off.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants