Expired

Mobile and broadband deal for very skint friend

10 replies
Found 18th Nov 2009
Hi everyone!

A lovely friend of ours who isn;t working at the mo is finding it difficult to keep up with his PAYG mobile, it's old SIM card he has and it costs him a fortune.

Typical story, he's skint and he doesn't have a bank account that will accept direct debits, and so he can't take up a good offer on contract deals, etc...!

He's desperately looking for work and it's hard when his credit runs out - he can't access voicemail as they charge him, and he can't ring people back about jobs, etc as and when.

We bought him a dongle with Vodaphone as he has no landline, but this too is stressing him out as he says it's sooo slow and costs a fortune to top up.

So...we figured get him a contract deal and we'll pay from our bank account and and he can pay us back.

But which one is best/cheapest? He'll need quite mostly talktime probably mainly to landlines, free answering machine, a few free texts would be fab. he's happy with his very old mobile phone as he's a bit of a technophobe, so SIM ony would be best, probably.

He can afford about £10-15 per month max really, more £10 than £15 if poss...

If anyone has a cracking deal they know of we'd love to hear about it. I'm surfing the net as I'm typing to find them but my kids are fighting and so all help welcomed, lol!

Oh, and really cheap but reliable broadband deals, any about? I'm a bit wary of them because of scare stories re Tiscali and TalkTalk...!

Thanks so much if anyone can help,
Best wishes
Luce xxx

10 Comments

i can honestly say i know squat about mobiles....but i've been trying to help my father get one recently and some of the cheapest contract deals seemed to be on 3 from my searching. Just be sure to check the coverage as its not great in our area.

1 deal that seemed good to me here for £13.50pm or theres a £15 internet deal on the same phone, not sim only tho.
threestore.three.co.uk/dea…394

simonlyoffers.com/?g=…Mog gives some good deals on his sim only contract virgin media also do a good sim only deal but depends on coverage in your area

i dont know where you can get cheap broadband without a phone line as its nearly as dear from what i have looked for as mum didnt want a landline

corinne

virginmobile.com/vm/….do

i have a friend who doesnt have a bank account and was spending about £10 a week on her mobile so i got her a contract in my name and she just gives me the money each month but u have to really trust the person obviously or you will be stuck with the contract for the year but as its a sim only you can cancel them after 2 months or so
corinne

Everyone is entitled to a basic bank account. Ive set up ones with halifax. There is a massive list off id you can take in. hope that helps.

leecroot;6928854

Everyone is entitled to a basic bank account. Ive set up ones with … Everyone is entitled to a basic bank account. Ive set up ones with halifax. There is a massive list off id you can take in. hope that helps.

when i wanted to open an account with natwest because they have a branch 5 mins from my house i went in with my driving licence and bank cards and was told they wanted a passport or birth certificate and a recent bank statement from my current bank and a utility bill so i never went back i only wanted to join because they were close, if you dont drive or go abroad and have no account its not that easy unless halifax have lowered whats needed
corinne

rosalie;6929267

when i wanted to open an account with natwest because they have a branch … when i wanted to open an account with natwest because they have a branch 5 mins from my house i went in with my driving licence and bank cards and was told they wanted a passport or birth certificate and a recent bank statement from my current bank and a utility bill so i never went back i only wanted to join because they were close, if you dont drive or go abroad and have no account its not that easy unless halifax have lowered whats neededcorinne

thats a load off rubbish that they fobbed you off with! theres a massive list of id that they accept., i took in a council tax bill and a tv licence bill. everyone cam provide these! if you are on the dole you dont have to pay and a would imagine that most people have tv licence, or a water bill.! a lot off these idiots in banks dont know what there talking about!

the problem i had was most utility bills are in hubbys name and what with paperless bills i dont have any but it was their loss lol. we got a bit off topic really as lucyeff was after help with broadband and mobiles but at least we bumping the post up lol
corinne

Some crap on this thread. There are lots of people who cannot get a bank account at all and would not be able to even if they had every piece of information on the bank's list.

If someone cannot afford 5p a minute on Vectone then they are in trouble. If they have a PC then Skype out unlimited country gives you landlines in the UK for £3.39 a month and you can do it with a prepaid credit card.

The best deal is Talk Talk on £6.49 a month with a 40GB internet allowance and free local and 0845 and 0870 calls. They are a bunch of tossers and I suggest you don't get their phone line but the total cost for phone line and calls and internet is less than £20 a month or £5 a week.

Going mobile means going to Vectone. 5p a minute and 5p SMS. Going internet from a mobile phone is a total new ball game and not one I know too much about. Data allowance seems to be the big problem.

Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the replies folks. A lot of info there, I'm really grateful for your time!

My friend has a post office account, as he doesn't have a regular income as such (and I think he has previous bad debts from a long while ago) that's his only option at the mo. I've not explored whether he can get a bank account with DD facility but to be honest I think he's better as he is as he's very much living hand to mouth, cash and no credit facility is safest, lol. :thumbsup:

I will look into Vectphone - I haven't heard of them but it sounds a good option. Yeah, I agree TalkTalk are a bunch of tossers, I've had issues with them in the past (now with Madasafish). But if they're cheap and quicker than his dongle (which always sounds rude!) then might be worth a try.

He has a phone socket in his flat but doesn't subscribe to landline at the mo. I did read somewhere that in Poland they're now not allowed to charge for broadband and landline connection if you don't intend to use a landline. Which sounds much fairer! Not sure how true that is but anyway, we're not in Poland so... :thinking:

I have very little knowledge at all of Skype, I ought to learn as I notice that 'free calls' is attached to it! I'll gen up, ta for the tip.

I agree that we will have to be very trusting but he is a very good and we go way back. I wouldn't do it for anyone else, it just seems unfair that he can't get deals because he's poor! :x Crackers innit.

Thank you again, I will let you know of any spanking deals I may find on the way! xxx

Tesco have deals on SIM only where you cannot spend more than you pay for, limiting it to his monthly payment. Unless he's really screwed over all the banks, go to Barclays or the Co-op and get a basic account (even if bankrupt) and do DD from there. He can even have his benefits paid in. There is no credit facility.

He can't be such a waste of space that he cannot sort that out surely ?

If there is a phone line, then you can get it put on but that might mean a Talk Talk line as you won't want to be paying BT's rip off rates. Not the end of the world though. Even better is Sky as you can pay that from a prepaid credit card (best is cashplus annual fee of £29.99) for only 50p a month extra. Can't pay Talk Talk except by paper (about £5 surcharge) or DD. Sky BB is way low though.

To get a SIM only he'll NEED a bank account and debit card so it all comes back to this problem. He can get one unless he has robbed them all and even then he might but he has to get his finger out of his ****.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769662
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247681
    3. The Walking Dead Thread (opinion, spoilers Rumors)74574
    4. Anyone else bored of video gaming3358

See more discussions